Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OIL  (Read 2545 times)

BAGGER 1

• Senior CVO Member
  • Leeco
OIL
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »

Okay, just went over  service records and the previous owner used redline oil in my new bike. From what I can tell two diffrent oil were used,
   engine, and a primary/trans.  I dont know any thing about this oil. I have always used harley oil in my lowrider, what do yall use ??
                   Thanks

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: OIL
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

Okay, just went over  service records and the previous owner used redline oil in my new bike. From what I can tell two diffrent oil were used,
   engine, and a primary/trans.  I dont know any thing about this oil. I have always used harley oil in my lowrider, what do yall use ??
                   Thanks

Nothing wrong with Redline synthetic oil.  They probably used that in the crankcase and primary and Redline Shock Proof in the tranny.  A lot of people here use shock proof in their tranny.  You'll find most of the people here do not stick with Syn3 and change their oil at the first service something else like Mobil 1 V-Twin, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.  I have always used Mobil 1 V-Twin in all my bikes, and have had no issues.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19:11 PM »

if it was me, and it was my bux, and wear issues and durability are what they are - id use whats been in it basically forever

folks say you can mix and match and change and... yada yada... but there are some things i wont do - i wont use old lifters, i wont use used bearings, i wont use used rings, i wont use used gaskets, i dont mix oils - i pick one and use it

to

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »

if it was me, and it was my bux, and wear issues and durability are what they are - id use whats been in it basically forever

folks say you can mix and match and change and... yada yada... but there are some things i wont do - i wont use old lifters, i wont use used bearings, i wont use used rings, i wont use used gaskets, i dont mix oils - i pick one and use it

to

I can agree on all but the oil part...in my experience the motor got quieter using the Redline oil, and the trans shifts better since switching to Redline Primary fluid and Redline Shockproof in the trans.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

once you go to redline - shockproof is especially different - i just dont think its wise to go back to dino oil

if he does go back to dino oil - then do a short cycle oil change - ie - change it run it few hundred miles and change it again

to

note: way way back - i switched oils in a gmc pickup with a straight six, the ones that did not have a oil filter.. ya i know its been awhile. and the day after i changed the oil brand it sucked a valve, upon inspection, everything in the head was in trouble and there was goo in the pan that was not there the week before when i had the pan off to fix a hole [rock] something between those two oils reacted badly and it was HORRIBLE ruined the engine. so ill stick with what i said - pick a oil and use it - dont just change back and forth brands  - every so often you win the magic oil lottery and poof!

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »

You must be kidding! I am cracking up! Changing oil made it drop a valve? Goo was in the pan a week later?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:34:52 PM by Mikey »
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 06:56:06 AM »

Interesting.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »

You must be kidding! I am cracking up! Changing oil made it drop a valve? Goo was in the pan a week later?

Read it a little closer, he's talking about an ancient vehicle (no oil filter).  Many/most of the vehicles back in those days still ran nondetergent oils, and it was not unheard of for the change to a modern detergent oil to break loose deposits in the engine that ultimately clogged up oil passages.  I personally had the same thing happen on a third hand VW I drove in college. with a crank bearing seizing shortly after flushing and changing to a detergent oil due to a clogged oil passage.

However, that being said, I wouldn't worry about such crap these days.  Modern motor oils that meet current API and SAE specifications are compatible and don't cause these sorts of problems.  I still wouldn't mix different brands at the same time, but changing from one brand to another during a complete oil change shouldn't be a problem these days.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »

I like Redline because they make a 20W 60W oil. Which I think is great for those real hot summer days with the 90 degree and above temperatures

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Bagger1
A lot of CVO owners use this: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RedLineOilBigTwin20W50Powerpack/Motorcycle_Oil_Powerpacks
Redline oil products are excellent. They do cost a bit more than most other brands of oils.
I would use what you feel comfortable or confident in using. And (no) you won't have any problems changing over to another brand if that is your choice.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.