Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 41933 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »

For me, it's always, jeans, zip up leather boots, gloves (either full fingered or fingerless), jacket of some sort (leather or heavy mesh) 75% of the time, ANSI approved safety lenses in my sun glasses or clear lenses for night riding, and ALWAYS, regardless of where I am, at a minimum, a half-helmet.  I'm still here to enjoy riding my bikes because of my helmet after some yahoo in a pickup truck T-Boned me on my bike many moons ago.  So there's no option in my opinion, law or no helmet law, I wear one.  I get a kick out of the crotch-rocket riders around here.  They'll wear shorts, t-shirts, and sandals or tennis shoes, and a full-face helmet.  They may get road-rashed totally, but their pretty faces will be left in tact.   :-\

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »

Now that we've bared our souls concerning outerwear, what about underwear?  Do you always follow the advice of your mother and make sure you have clean underwear before every ride just in case you wind up in the hospital?  How about wearing a cup to protect against impact damage to vital parts?  Or perhaps those who prefer to exercise their freedoms choose to ride sans underwear?

Personally, I think all good looking chicks should have to ride in thong bikini's.  After we get that law passed, I don't care what all you ugly old guys wear.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

Now that we've bared our souls concerning outerware, what about underwear?  Do you always follow the advice of your mother and make sure you have clean underwear before every ride just in case you wind up in the hospital?  How about wearing a cup to protect against impact damage to vital parts?  Or perhaps those who prefer to exercise their freedoms choose to ride sans underwear?

Personally, I think all good looking chicks should have to ride in thong bikini's.  After we get that law passed, I don't care what all you ugly old guys wear.

Jerry

Glad to see you qualified it to good looking chicks...............

the other day I overtook a sport biker that must have been pushing a big weight number and her clothing was pushing a number much smaller than needed.  Not sure why I was compelled to sanp a pic, but it was most likely so I could post a don't ride unless you are properly attired as to not offend others post.

Unfortunately FORTUNATELY this picture didn't turn out too well, details are missing
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:36:21 PM by RJ749 »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »

Now that we've bared our souls concerning outerwear, what about underwear?  Do you always follow the advice of your mother and make sure you have clean underwear before every ride just in case you wind up in the hospital?  How about wearing a cup to protect against impact damage to vital parts?  Or perhaps those who prefer to exercise their freedoms choose to ride sans underwear?

Jerry

TMI!

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »

No Helmet law in Maine, but I have worn a helmet since 1963, just something I do.
I have seen plenty of Wife Beater, Shorts, Tennis Sneakers and No helmets this summer.

Cheers
DR

No helmet law in CO but I ware one most of the time... so do a lot of other riders I see on the road.  Have not seen many in shorts etc... 
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »

If, and/or when, I ever go down again, it won't be because I couldn't see, or couldn't hear.  HUB just can't operate no Motorsickle with his view, and what little ability he has left to hear, obstructed.  Not to say I'm careless or on a death trip, but when I ride, I ride for the freedom.  Freedom from all these fu*king rules and regulations I have to abide by in my work-a-day life everyday.  Freedom from the fear of thinking about somebody taking what I've worked for all my life. Freedom, man.  Freedom from chit I can't find anywhere else, except on Ol' Maudie.  I ain't thinking about wreckin' when I'm in the breeze, either.  If I did, that would seem to create fear.  Fear has no place on a Motorsickle.  Respect of the Motorsickle and the privilege to ride it any damn way I want to, is what I have.  I ride without a helmet every chance I get.  But that's just me.  ;) Later--HUBBARD               
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

40 years ago I went down at 50mph without any riding gear... It was an awful painful expierence that lasted for months. Not quite as bad as the time I jumped sand dunes and went in face first with my mouth open. I got all "choked up" over that one.

Then my wife and I were hit head-on by a woman who just flew past a stop sign and hit us head-on. At that point I figured I was well protected by a hellmit, jeans, Tee shirt, etc. After leaving the hospital, I was stuck on a couch for two weeks before I could even get up and go pee. And even that was difficlt with two casts on my arms. Forget about going #2, it was good to have a wife. Did I mention my crushed leg and football size foot? Oh, and a fractured back was big fun too... At least I got to watch 911 on TV as it happened, since I couldn't move anyway. Kinda pointless screamin at the TV sayin; "Let me at those guys!" when I was basically just a vegetable, huh? However, since the only decent riding gear I had on was a hellmit, I didn't die from the impact of flying thru the air and landing on my head and right shoulder.

In 2004 I was actually geared up pretty good with hellmit, leathers, boots, ect. when I was hit from behind while turning by another bike going at least 65mph. Even with gear I ended up with two broken wrists, broken arm, broken nose, and my face crushed in breaking off a section of my skull. At least I didn't suffer any major road rash, LOL. Of course my brain had bounced off the front and rear of the skull inside causing the loss of a few very useful brain cells, but at least they did bolt my skull back together so I still looked "Purty"... And, they used that "high quality" plates and screws made from titanium. That was thoughtful of them because I don't set off alarms in airports now...

If you ride casually dressed because you think there is no chance of you going down, get ready for some serious pain and make sure your doctor gives you good pain meds...
If this happens to you, I have lots of good info on assisting recovery I will share if needed. I am considering writing a book. How to make those anoying motorcycle injuries fun and exciting, by jimbob

jimbob, if we ever meet at a gathering I would love to shake your hand! But if we ever go on a group ride...I might have to sit that one out! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

Traveled up to Ohio on Wednesday to a supplier conference to get an award for my company.  Been a few years since I went back home and was taken back by the riding attire in Kentucky and Ohio.

Saw more riders in shorts, flip flops, no shirts, no helmets on the I75 going well over 80MPH.  I enjoy riding without a helmet probably more than the next guy, but riding in shorts, no shirt flip flops at a high rate of speed is against all the ways I know to stay safe.

Wide variety of bikes from Harley's to Honda's, ages varied from teens to seniors.  I believe you should have the right to wear a helmet if you want to or not, but half dressed just doesn't seem right.

Have I slipped into senility or has the heat affected the riders I witnessed with a death wish?

I share your outlook 100% , on all points.  I seem to have noticed an increasing number of the shorts/flip-flops crowd on the high speed crotch-rockets also .
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »

I hit a bee or wasp or something like kind on the way home two nights ago running about 90mph. Hit me on bridge of nose just below glasses, I knew at moment of impact I had been stung but was only a few miles from house so I rode on home.  Never found a stinger but both eyes swelled almost shut.
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 06:22:31 AM »

What a great thread....I can relate to all the bee sting stories and the road-rash stories and can only add as I'm still recovering from the latest bike accident that you will truly appreciate each and every bit of gear you have on very much as you bounce & slide & tumble.  And yes, jeans do give a lot of protection, but not as much a leathers. Gloves & boots are as important as helmets to me at least since the fingers and toes/ankles really take a beating on the pavement.  Even the leather vest I was wearing over the T'shirt absorbed a lot of abuse on the back (and retained my pistol throughout the entire cannonball episode)  Wear what you want to and you'll be glad you did .  Oh, and Jimbob, you need to write that book.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »

Boots & long pants a must!! Never a helmet unless forced!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

What a great thread....I can relate to all the bee sting stories and the road-rash stories and can only add as I'm still recovering from the latest bike accident that you will truly appreciate each and every bit of gear you have on very much as you bounce & slide & tumble.  And yes, jeans do give a lot of protection, but not as much a leathers. Gloves & boots are as important as helmets to me at least since the fingers and toes/ankles really take a beating on the pavement.  Even the leather vest I was wearing over the T'shirt absorbed a lot of abuse on the back (and retained my pistol throughout the entire cannonball episode)  Wear what you want to and you'll be glad you did .  Oh, and Jimbob, you need to write that book.  ;) har.  spyder

So true...hands and feet are the most common injury in a motorcycle crash...next to the head.  Having just recovered from a relatively minor fracture of the 5th metatarsal on my right foot, broken bones in the feet are NO fun and will put a grown man down for a while.  If you don't do anything else, find a comfortable pair of over the ankle leather boots, wear some wicking socks so they'll be comfortable in all kinds of weather, and wear some kind of decent gloves.  Most of us here are no longer Spring Chickens...things I'd get over in a couple of weeks when I was younger now take at least twice as long, and I'm not in that bad a shape for my age.  No sense taking chances that might keep you from pursuing this passion we all love because of not having the proper gear on your body when the need arises.  The trade-offs just aren't worth it for me.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »

FXRG boots all the time, Jeans all the time.  Above 80 a tee shirt or sleeveless tee shirt, below 80 long sleeves or light jacket.  Usually light weight perforated gloves.  Helmet depends on the situation, mandatory in my state.  Out of state it depends on traffic level.  I wear a 1/2 dot helmet.  I have considered a full face for the winter.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »

For me its boots and gloves as a must and helmet optional depending what state I'm in. Up until I got my ClearView I needed a full helmet or mask to protect from wind burn, but the CV took care of that. I like a full helmet when its cold or raining though and always take it on long trips for protection from the elements. I don't like the helmet law we have here in CA, and would rather have a choice. CA just went along with the federal law or would have lost some of its highway money, but soon after that the feds repealed their helmet law. I'm thinkin with the help from ABATE we will loose out helmet law in the future because the statistics that were promissed by the pro helmet bunch didn't happen.  Doc

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »

Helmet, boots, jeans, gloves but with the occasional short sleeve shirt.  Call me a rebel  ;)
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.