Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Who makes the best rain gear????  (Read 10210 times)

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
Who makes the best rain gear????
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

So I'm looking for rain gear and have used Frogg Toggs in the past and not so good. So I'm on the prowl for a good set that wil LAST. What does everyone like and dislike?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Who makes the best rain gear????
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

We have hand me down Road Master gear from my wife's aunt and uncle. We're very please with it. No issues at all. I do like the thought of some Hi Vis gear though. We got caught in the rain on every trip last year. We started packing our safety vest we got with the Steel Toe tour we took at the York Plant last May and wear them also when we get caught in the really hard rain.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »

I've ridden through lots of rain. We have to be careful with plastic or rubberized gear because of hot pipes. I find my chaps and heavy leather jacket works fine for short to mid runs, but if you're  looking at hours on the road, Exelement is a good choice based on your description.

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Xelement-Rain-Gear/2/166.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:18 PM »

Yeah the Frogg toggs did not win the fight against the pipes :'(

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »

Have the HD FXRG gear from a few years ago - the Goretex suit. Expensive but very high quality. Been through some heavy rain and it kept me dry as a bone. Highly recommended!

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 04:23:20 AM »

Have the HD FXRG gear from a few years ago - the Goretex suit. Expensive but very high quality. Been through some heavy rain and it kept me dry as a bone. Highly recommended!

x2  :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »

NOT  HARLEYDAVIDSON
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

Gotta disagree with Donald P. Have had the same Hi-Vis for 13yrs. If you are careful with the neck area, bone dry. Really wanted the FXRG, but don't play in the rain enough to justify.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »

Gotta disagree with Donald P. Have had the same Hi-Vis for 13yrs. If you are careful with the neck area, bone dry. Really wanted the FXRG, but don't play in the rain enough to justify.

Move up north and you'll appreciate the FXRG a bit more  :huepfenjump3:

Works as rain gear and is my go to winter riding gear
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »

+2 on the HD Hi-Vis.  Keeps me dry and very visible.  Not too cold in FL  so warmth is not an issue!

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

I hearya Duane. Don't know if you can buy more expensive......can't buy better!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

I have HD rain gear and very happy with it. Now the old cheap HD stuff I had for years now that was junk. Not enough Velcro on the legs and they would blow up like a baloon :'(

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »

Ride over to Duluth and check out Aerostitch. The Darien light pants or AD1 pants are great.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »

Anyone have experience with the new Gerbing heated rain gear.......I think it's FX? The only thing I heard was to bulky to pack because of protective elements.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »

Ride over to Duluth and check out Aerostitch. The Darien light pants or AD1 pants are great.

+1  :2vrolijk_21:

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »

The stuff that keeps you dry  :nixweiss:
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

Who makes the best rain gear?  IMO, nobody....I have yet to spend little or lots on "rain" gear and ride all day in the rain and remain dry.  I don't have any rain gear anymore.  I know I'll get kickback on this but it's from my experience I speak and I can't justify the cost vs the results anymore.  The cheap stuff is just that, cheap.  The expensive stuff (and I'm talking the goretex suit I used to have...cost me $$$$) did work for a while but water WILL find a way in somewhere.  Just my opinion not to waste anymore money on these items....

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

I'm in Minnesota so warmth is a big deal. Even rain in June is cold when it comes down.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

Harley Davidson  :2vrolijk_21: Really!  I've tried others but my Harley rain suit kept me from losing precious skin when I was rear ended and thrown 30 ft down the road. 
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Smithbss

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »

++

I have been using their stuff for about 15 years and love it. I have a BMW 1200 LT so I was using the Darien pants and the Darien high viz jacket. The jacket does not go so well with a tribal orange Harley, but I have been using the pants still.

I have my eye on the brown Falstaff they sell though, love the look of waxed cotton.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

My wife and I both have HD rain gear!  It had a great job for us. She has the heavy duty and I have the lighter version. Both worked well. I like the lighter version because it is so much smaller when packed. I do agree that you always get a litte wet no matter what gear you have but I just try to keep the majority off of me. I have tried many different brands and didn't want to spend a fortune so we have been very happy with the HD products.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »

The best is the one that keeps you dry. I also have the HD rain gear and have ridden all day in the rain. My only complaint is with the Hd waterproof gloves are a pain to put back on when your hand are damp at the gas station. You need to be wearing waterproof boots cause if your feet get wet the rain gear don't matter.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 08:22:39 AM »

I hope all the flooding in the pan handle will not affect the rally. I saw car lots with water up to the handles on the news this morning.  I think Panama Beach is east from Penescola and hopefully didn't get hit as hard. Don't get me wrong I am sorry anyone had to go through all the flooding I was just discussing the impact to the rally. A few years ago we went and it rained goign there, the whole time we were there and just a part of the way back. We felt lucky whiel we were there and timed most of the riding between storms and got to sit under tents or in buildings while it rained. Actually we met a lot of people and had a good time while waiting it out!    Safe travels and have fun!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »

I will be waiting to hear how it is down there. I am in east Cobb now but used to live in NW Cobb.

Safe travels and hopefully a good dry stay in PB.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

You're getting ready to move to Colorado, you might want to look at the Gerbing outter wear.  Not only is it heated, it also works as rain gear so you're only packing one suit that covers both conditions.  And, much lighter than leathers and keeps you much warmer in the colder weather.

Do a search for Gerbing here on this forum.....I did a review here somewhere.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »

I have the Aerostich Light one piece - awsome suit
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »

Rain gear that "breathes" such as GoreTex or similar for me is much better than the rubber/vinyl type suits.  Never owned FroggToggs, never cared for them.  We have used GoreTex PacLite for several years & it works reasonably well.  Light enough for warmer season rains so that the inside is not as wet with sweat as the outside, & in colder rain works well as an outer layer. 

Would get heat shield type rain pants since when you stop on a wet road you don't want a melted pant leg sticking to your pipes.

No rain gear is "perfect".  When I began riding a very long time back, a trash bag with armholes was my gear of choice.  So for me anything from there was an improvement. 

Unless am riding for quite a while into rain, I rarely stop to gear up anymore unless the cold temp requires it.  A good leather jacket & my leather legs have taken me up & down many, many miles of rainy wet roads relatively dry.  Dependant upon the amount of rain & the temp my leather works very well.  But if it's cooler & not just a lighter shower - we usually gear up.  If am 15-30 minutes from my last stop of the day or from home I just ride through it.

Get waterproof boots.  Gaitors over boots are a PITA. Buy a suit size large enough to allow a layer over so it can be worn as outer gear for those really cold wet days.  Good seam seals & good flaps over zippers are your friends on rainy days.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »

Rain gear that "breathes" such as GoreTex or similar for me is much better than the rubber/vinyl type suits.  Never owned FroggToggs, never cared for them.  We have used GoreTex PacLite for several years & it works reasonably well.  Light enough for warmer season rains so that the inside is not as wet with sweat as the outside, & in colder rain works well as an outer layer. 

Would get heat shield type rain pants since when you stop on a wet road you don't want a melted pant leg sticking to your pipes.

No rain gear is "perfect". When I began riding a very long time back, a trash bag with armholes was my gear of choice. So for me anything from there was an improvement. 

Unless am riding for quite a while into rain, I rarely stop to gear up anymore unless the cold temp requires it.  A good leather jacket & my leather legs have taken me up & down many, many miles of rainy wet roads relatively dry.  Dependant upon the amount of rain & the temp my leather works very well.  But if it's cooler & not just a lighter shower - we usually gear up.  If am 15-30 minutes from my last stop of the day or from home I just ride through it.

Get waterproof boots.  Gaitors over boots are a PITA. Buy a suit size large enough to allow a layer over so it can be worn as outer gear for those really cold wet days.  Good seam seals & good flaps over zippers are your friends on rainy days.
Ha Ha I remember those days. The guys at work called me the man from glad. Also used bread bags over my hands and plastic bags over my shoes. Worked graves so not to many people saw me. :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »

Ha Ha I remember those days. The guys at work called me the man from glad. Also used bread bags over my hands and plastic bags over my shoes. Worked graves so not to many people saw me. :huepfenlol2:

;D  good times!

Would stuff cardboard into my pants especially in front of my knees since had no chaps.  Newspapers inside my shirt if cold & forgot a jacket.  If rainy when I got home would pour out my boots & hop n the shower as quick as possible to warm up.

Remember some very strange looks at traffic lights wearing those trashbags.   :)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

Boy do I recall those days (and I do mean old days!).  Socks for gloves and anything else that would help. I started riding while in the USMC. I can still remember the day it started to rain and I decided to bring my bike in out of the rain. Well floors in the USMC are waxed very well.  Add those great floors and wet tires together and I thought I spinning on ice. At the time I thought the plastic rain suits and socks for gloves was just great!  Of course life was very simple and I lived it to the most! 

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

I like the rain gear form Harley
Easy to put on on the side of the road!
Good night reflector on back and sides.
Packs good.
The hood is made to fit under your helmet!!
Excellent pockets!!
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

We have hand me down Road Master gear from my wife's aunt and uncle. We're very please with it. No issues at all. I do like the thought of some Hi Vis gear though. We got caught in the rain on every trip last year. We started packing our safety vest we got with the Steel Toe tour we took at the York Plant last May and wear them also when we get caught in the really hard rain.
Picked up some of the Hi Vis stuff off of ebay for the wife and I. Great stuff. I'll be passing along my old gear to someone in need.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 24 queries.