Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question on boot fitment  (Read 2000 times)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
Quick question on boot fitment
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

I normally wear a size 11 in pretty much any shoe.  I was looking to get myself a decent pair of casual riding boots (I'm not at the CruiserWorks stage yet), and when I tried on a couple pairs, I noticed that my toes were all the way to the front inside edge.  It wasn't overly uncomfortable, but I questioned whether or not I should go a half size up.  I had on just a regular white athletic sock, and wondered if I wore a thicker sock if it would end up being an issue.

So, for any that want to share their fitting experiences, I'd be grateful.  If not, feel free to give this topic the "boot."   :P

Should the boot feel that snug from front to back, or should you have a little "leg" room in there?  I ordered a pair of HD Dipstick boots (appropriately named for me) in 11.5, and my heel doesn't slip when I walk in them, but now I'm second-guessing whether or not I'd be better off with the snugger fit.

Any help would be appreciated,

Tru - who knows that either size boot can still safely fit in his mouth

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Quick question on boot fitment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

These days it's very hard to find anything that meets strict standards for sizing, so my recommendation is to go with whatever size feels right to you no matter what the claimed size is.  All semblance of standards seem to have gone out the window when we stopped making most products in the USA.  A Chinese size "X" is rarely the same as an old American size "X", just like a Chinese medium in a shirt could fit like a small or a large as often as it fits like a medium.  When I bought my last pair of Harley boots I wound up buying a full size different than what I wear in street shoes or my previous riding boots.  :confused5:

If you do a lot of walking in your riding boots, you don't want your toes rubbing the end of the boot.  Give those little piggies the room they deserve.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Jerry.  I wore the 11.5's today for a brief ride home and they felt pretty good - even walking around.  The only thing I'd like to change is that the seem to have too much room in the from top to bottom in the toe area - I'm hoping that adding some padding or inserts will take up some of the extra room there.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Jerry.  I wore the 11.5's today for a brief ride home and they felt pretty good - even walking around.  The only thing I'd like to change is that the seem to have too much room in the from top to bottom in the toe area - I'm hoping that adding some padding or inserts will take up some of the extra room there.

I found the same thing with the Harley boots I've owned.  The toe box seems to be roomier than normal, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  You can in fact tighten the fit up with inserts if you like.  If the toe box was too small however there isn't an easy fix for that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »

I've worn Cowboy Boots all my life, well outside of my Combat Boots while Active Duty...

Give these a try, and you won't be disappointed.  Double-H Men's 12 Inch AG7 Work Western Boot Style: DH-3283

Any of the Double-H AG7 boots will do great... the sole on these offer extreme grip, and about 4 years of durable wear before you notice the soles flattening out.  I suppose they would last a little longer if I didn't drag them on the pavement every now and then to check the road conditions before putting my feet down firmly.

I wear them year round, even walking on ice is a piece of cake.   8)

Oh, and if you wear a size 11... order a size 11.  No break in period... period.  Put them on, and you'd swear you were born with them on your feet.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »

I'm a big fan of Double H boots, but I still say the sizing is goofy.  I've got 2 pairs of their harness boots and a pointy-toed cowboy pair.  I'm a 12 in every shoe and boot I own; in Double H I'm an 11.

But they're great boots once you figure out your size.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »

Cruiserworks boots seems to do better 1/2 size bigger because of the plastic toe cap that may bother your toes if you get your normal size.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.