Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Boot Mileage  (Read 7769 times)

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
Boot Mileage
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:05:04 PM »

Ok I just thought of the dumb question of the day...
How many riding miles do you get on a pair of boots?
Boy that even looks dumb when I type it!!!
I figure a pair of boots going 15K miles in a year would wear faster than a pair only going 5K in say three years due to all of the extra up and down shifting, braking, foot dragging, weather conditions,...etc. The previous was just me trying to justify my dumb question.
I bought a new pair when I bought the new 2012 cvo. I have almost 17K miles on her and it is looking like a pair of new boots might be in order for next years riding season. Have I exceeded the mileage expectations or can I squeeze another season without worrying about a blowout? ...hmmm sounded like another dumb question...two in one post!!!
Sorry to anyone who wasted even one second reading this...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Boot Mileage
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »

My last set of boots, Harley FXRG 3's lasted right at 5 years.  So, they went a little over 100K miles.  The last three years I averaged 24K miles a year, and the two years prior was about 16K a year.

My new FXRG 3's are a year old with 23000 miles or a little more.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »

They last a LOT LONGER if you DON'T get stuck in a MONSOON in Panama City Beach and get soaked from head to toe, then come back to the condo and put them in the oven on 170 degrees to dry them out. That tends to make them fall apart, thus necessitating judicious use of duct tape and an unplanned outlay for new boots at the local Harley shop...

I am not representing that this event actually occurred or did not occur... but new boots do feel nice!

I would guess my old summer ones got about 20,000 miles before falling apart in the oven.

Ken   :nixweiss:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »

My Justin Ropers that I bought in 1983 have 300,000+ miles on them and have been resoled and re-heeled 20 times. I still like the way they fit and the elk skin is still soft. I paid $ 225.00 for them and think I have got my monies worth.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »

They last a LOT LONGER if you DON'T get stuck in a MONSOON in Panama City Beach and get soaked from head to toe, then come back to the condo and put them in the oven on 170 degrees to dry them out. That tends to make them fall apart, thus necessitating judicious use of duct tape and an unplanned outlay for new boots at the local Harley shop...

I am not representing that this event actually occurred or did not occur... but new boots do feel nice!

I would guess my old summer ones got about 20,000 miles before falling apart in the oven.
Ken   :nixweiss:

Hey Ken,
Great story. You had me LOL!!! Yeah I doubt that there is any truth to it though. Who the hell would do such a dumb thing??? However just in case it really did happen as stated rest assured you secret is safe with me...I promise I will not tell anyone.
LOL...I'm sorry...I just can't help myself...

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:21 AM »

Red Wing boots purchased in 97. Red Wing will resole and recondition them.
Al

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »

Same boots for 5years, and about 30,000 miles.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »

Ok I just thought of the dumb question of the day...
How many riding miles do you get on a pair of boots?
Boy that even looks dumb when I type it!!!
I figure a pair of boots going 15K miles in a year would wear faster than a pair only going 5K in say three years due to all of the extra up and down shifting, braking, foot dragging, weather conditions,...etc. The previous was just me trying to justify my dumb question.
I bought a new pair when I bought the new 2012 cvo. I have almost 17K miles on her and it is looking like a pair of new boots might be in order for next years riding season. Have I exceeded the mileage expectations or can I squeeze another season without worrying about a blowout? ...hmmm sounded like another dumb question...two in one post!!!
Sorry to anyone who wasted even one second reading this...

Bwahaha. This cracked me up Rose!

How bout including how many times you had to put your boots up some jackwagon's rear end in the mix?

:huepfenlol2:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »

About 65,000 miles on mine. Plus yard work, cutting wood, misc construction, etc.

Boots will last a lot longer if you pick your feet up when riding.  ;D ;D ;D
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »

Hey Ken,
Great story. You had me LOL!!! Yeah I doubt that there is any truth to it though. Who the hell would do such a dumb thing??? However just in case it really did happen as stated rest assured you secret is safe with me...I promise I will not tell anyone.
LOL...I'm sorry...I just can't help myself...

Yeah, well it COULD have happened... But only if I was desperate and needed my boots dry for when it stopped raining a couple of hours later. And my buds might have called me The Flapper until I got my new boots... if it ever really happened at all.

I think I'm OK... I don't think anyone is reading this thread anyway.  :-X

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »

Boots will last a lot longer if you pick your feet up when riding.  ;D ;D ;D

I sure agree with the above.  I see many riders who would be lucky to get 5K out of a set of boots, feet seem to be down more than on the floor boards.

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

Got a pair of Rocky boots I've had since 1995.  Still keep my feet warm, dry and are still comfortable after the ride.  Been out West 6 times, to Canada (eh?), the Keys, on an Iron Butt and (this is for you Ken and Jesse) through the Smokeys many, many times.  I semi-retired them this Summer and trying out some FXRG's I got at K'ville HD on the sale table.  Seem to work pretty well so far (even riding through the Smokeys) but when it starts getting a bit cooler, the Rockys will be back in service.  Not really riding boots but I really don't give a hoot.  They work.....

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »

Got a pair of Rocky boots I've had since 1995.  Still keep my feet warm, dry and are still comfortable after the ride.  Been out West 6 times, to Canada (eh?), the Keys, on an Iron Butt and (this is for you Ken and Jesse) through the Smokeys many, many times.  I semi-retired them this Summer and trying out some FXRG's I got at K'ville HD on the sale table.  Seem to work pretty well so far (even riding through the Smokeys) but when it starts getting a bit cooler, the Rockys will be back in service.  Not really riding boots but I really don't give a hoot.  They work.....
funny you mentioned smokies!! I happened to pass thru there on occasion! like them rockies!! I ride in mine also.

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

Always remember: You don't break in boots, you break in feet.  If they're comfortable, wear them until you need new soles. And if you buy a new pair, get something with good quality and comfort. My HD Dipstick boots lasted me 22,000 miles plus 2 years in a war zone. Just to those re-soled.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »

I have used two pair of HD boots since 2009 and only bought the second pair because the first ones were looking a bit poor and they were on sale. What I really wanted was cowboy boots for the bike but the leather soles were deadly slick and guaranteed to let the bike go down. I have lately had two pair custom made from BlackJack boots with the mini vibram soles. One with a grey elephant vamp and thither with a black stingray. SOB are they sharp looking on the bike. The elephant have a snip toe and my wife says in looks like fishing spears from the rear when I am on the CVO Fatbob. The stingrays are nice enough to double as church boots and I have down that too. You do need to choose a vamp material that will stand up to some wear, forget snake or fine croc belly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »

Anyone who drags their feet while riding needs to learn how to ride.  When I see people leave a stop and drag their feet all the way across the intersection and sometimes even further, and I see a ton of them, I remember why I don't ride in groups.  There are way too many people on bikes these days who have no clue and no business on two wheels.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »

Anyone who drags their feet while riding needs to learn how to ride.  When I see people leave a stop and drag their feet all the way across the intersection and sometimes even further, and I see a ton of them, I remember why I don't ride in groups.  There are way too many people on bikes these days who have no clue and no business on two wheels.

Jerry

Then you sure do not want to go to Daytona or Sturgis, less than 20% seem to know how to ride a bike.  Those places are full of bike walkers, and I am sure a set of tires last longer than their boots.  No reason not to have your feat on the floorboards unless you are stopped.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

Honestly I don't see a boot wearing till quite a few years. I think they would just look bad first.

We rode with a lady that pedaled off the line like a goose taking flight off a lake. Everybody talked about her behind her back. Actually I tried it a few times just to mock others and nearly got me feet jerked off my legs. Just try to keep walking the bike all the way through first gear and you'll probably wreck. The things that some do to try and stay safe are the most dangerous.

PTSDBob

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:14 AM »

Depends on the boot and where I am riding….
I have boots for: summer, winter, wet and cold, around town…  my around town get the most abuse; I use ExElement cheap'os for that ($35, then throw them away).  Rotating the boots for the conditions helps with maintaining a long life.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »

I wear a pair of gor-tex lined Danners.. for riding, work (daily), yard work, casual, and anything else I need to do. I actually have 2 pairs.. one pair is 8 yrs old and have been re-soled once. They're expensive but they last a long time (even when they get wet). The one thing the military taught me was not to be cheap when it comes to protecting your feet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:50:21 AM by mwg »
RLTW

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »

The pair on the left are my riding Boots since 2004, on the right a new never used pair.
Sendra Boots
The well ridden pair have been re-healed 4 times and new soles twice. Its about time to re-heal them again!
The well worn look appeals to me, many people comment that they look really good!
I just wax them now and again to try and kep them water tight
Cant bring myself to break-in the new pair yet, to originals are so comfortable although not water tight due to the lacing on the side.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

I have two pair of boots that are over 20 years old with probably around 60K miles on one set. Still looks like new but then I don't drag my feet so they should look good.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

I have used two pair of HD boots since 2009 and only bought the second pair because the first ones were looking a bit poor and they were on sale. What I really wanted was cowboy boots for the bike but the leather soles were deadly slick and guaranteed to let the bike go down. I have lately had two pair custom made from BlackJack boots with the mini vibram soles. One with a grey elephant vamp and thither with a black stingray. SOB are they sharp looking on the bike. The elephant have a snip toe and my wife says in looks like fishing spears from the rear when I am on the CVO Fatbob. The stingrays are nice enough to double as church boots and I have down that too. You do need to choose a vamp material that will stand up to some wear, forget snake or fine croc belly.

Hey Dr. D where did you buy your BlackJack boots from. I am interested in getting a pair of the elephant ones from them. I priced a pair online through Tim's Boots at right at 700.00 and was wondering if this was a reasonable price or not?

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 08:01:30 AM »

I have out grown my boots over the years! They have never been resoled or reheeled! As a matter of fact I have 2 pairs that I've had in the closet for years that I need to get rid of. Old style biker/engineer boots from the 80's like new. I have FXGR Boots now & really like them & they have over 30K miles on them & no wear.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »

Hey Dr. D where did you buy your BlackJack boots from. I am interested in getting a pair of the elephant ones from them. I priced a pair online through Tim's Boots at right at 700.00 and was wondering if this was a reasonable price or not?

Hello T-Roy, I buy all my custom orders from Stephen at Stages West in Pigeon Forge. My wife have been around the south looking at boots(just got back from Nashville) and they have the best selection, price and will get what you want. I can't recall what i paid for my custom elephants but the sole was like a $50 upgrade. Go online and search them and call and ask for Stephen(owner) and tell them Dr.D referred you. Tims Boots are higher for sure.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 06:31:44 AM »

traditional H-D leather boots used to live one season (20.000 km), since I changed to FXRG they are now 4 years old, got 65.000 km and don't look or feel like I would need new ones next season  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »

I have had these Harley Davidson Mega Harness boots for over 10 years and about 150 000 KM. The boots have held up and lasted. If the bottom did not wear I would still wear them. When backing up I would start to slide because there was no grip. So before I lose my footing I got a new pair. My old ones are steel toe. Could not find another steel toe and finding this boot was hard enough. After taking the picture I noticed the left bottom was more worn than the right. The only thing I can think of is when I get off the bike I plant the left leg and spin the foot when my right leg goes over the seat. The other thing I love about these boots is that the extra length in the leather keeps the heat off the right calf when the 110 is cooking.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »

Has nothing to do with this very strange thread, but I recently sent a pair of Willie G's to Drews Boots (google it) for a rebuild. They replaced complete sole, frt to rear including heels. New strings and lower liners for $100. They came back looking like new, deep lug Vibram sole/heels. Heavy stitching that is tight and straight, Very nice work. FYI.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »

I have a pair of linesman boots I bought in 1968 when I raced motocross and road enduros. Used to wear them on the street when i road s well. Not sure how many miles are on them, they have been resoled and re heeled twice.  Don't wear them anymore since someone tried to buy them in an vintage clothing store I walked into one night.   

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 24 queries.