Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: temperature of a house fire  (Read 16609 times)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
temperature of a house fire
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »

The title says most of it.  I've been unable to get any kind of definitive answer as to the temperatures typically seen in a house fire.  Somebody here has to know or have access to such stupid info.  I'm interested in averages seen, as well as peaks seen and for how long in a house fire.  Even a point to a www that has the info would be greatly appreciated.  I'd prefer an "outside" site- not a safe manufacturers site.   Need a new safe and am trying to get the most for the $.
tia
arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: temperature of a house fire
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »

Check the  National Fire Protection Association website. I just did a search on "house fire temperatures" and it came back w/217 hits maybe one of them can help you.

Addendum: Another source is International Association of Firefighters

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:09:55 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 03:32:54 PM »

Thanks dood, both of those have given some leads.  Maybe my question has never been answered.  Certainly there are lots of variables in a fire, I just assumed that in today's world somebody had compiled info arriving at "averages" for such things!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:50:30 AM »

Well I can tell you that the ceiling temperature of a free burning room is at or about 2000 degrees. The average temp of the room is closing in on 1000 degrees. Now a bunch of stuff comes into play. Has it been vented???? Are the windows intact has it burned through the roof? These factors will come into play into the actual room temps.

Hope this helps

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »

Dawg,
That's what I'm looking for. Let's assume the windows have popped and the roof is not yet burned through.   What kind of temps should we see now?  How long do those kind of temps last? THANKS!!!
arctic

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 01:12:38 AM »

Ok my friend, what are you planning?  A weiner roast for 200 of your best friends?  You know your thoughts here can be used against you in a court of law.

Just teasing ya!   :cherry:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »

Arcticdude, here's something worth consideration as well.  It is a release by a lock builder for the shot show.  http://www.sglocks.com/pdf/UL_gun_safe.pdf

I too will be acquiring another safe in the near future for my second home.  Let us know what you find/decide in your choice.  Are you looking for a home safe?  Gun/documents?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

Rob,
S&G has some neat stuff.  They've got a pin pad/biometric lock that is really slick.  It will operate by pin pad only, fingerprint only or pad & finger print.  I'm looking at something fairly large (40 cuft or larger) for everything- documents, guns, jewelry, etc.  We just added 3 guns a couple of weekends ago and this weekend I'm picking up several rifles/shotguns and a couple more pistols, so I need someplace good to properly store them.  I can't keep all of them cocked and locked on the nightstand! :D  Besides, for home defense I'm really partial to auto shotguns and auto 45's.  One round from either will put a real hurt on somebody foolish enough to step through the door.  I'm leaning towards the Liberty Presidential 40.  It's got enough capacity to handle what I've got and should expect to get in the relatively foreseeable future AND it will go where I want it to go.  The 50 would be nice, but it's slighty too big for the current house.  I'll add it when I retire to the next house!  Anyway, nothing else out there has the UL listing and the fire protection I think I want.  Some of the others have some neat features, but NONE match the "safety" of the Liberty.

Candy,
I can't burn this place down yet!  Though there have been a few times SHE'S tried!!!  Thanks for the smoke detectors! :P :huepfenjump3:  Besides, my brother is an attorney- I don't worry about much (except pissing him off!).

arctic

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »

Thank God I grew up in Tulsa, OK then moved to the safe city of Houston, TX in '78 and don't have to worry about your issues of living in Mustang, OK!  ;D

If you can't find anything that meets your requirements you can store your stuff in my TH here!

Cheers,

Mark

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:17:20 AM »

Arcticdude, thanks for the info, I have the Liberty distributor in our town and I talked with him at the recent sportsman show here.

Those do look like nice safes and he was pointing out a lot of their features. 

A State patrolman's kid and two buddies got into the home safe and took/stole six guns to sell at high school.  All three are in jail as we speak.  While the kid evidently knew where the combo was, the biometric lock would have been a failsafe in this case.  I haven't been one for the pads from an aesthetic point of view but maybe I need to get over that.  Besides, I could never get to a gun in time to do anything if I had them all in the safe with the 4x tumbler.

I most likely will go 50 at the new house, lots of room and lots of things to go in the safe too.

cigarmike

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »

Buy the new MoCo CVO safe, it may have paint issues, and overheated hinges in a fire, and the lock mechanism may need replacement in the first 5000 miles, but they have a warranty policy, and factory reps, and a customer care dept., staffed with 300 MoCo employees, looking out for your best interests, ........oh wait, scratch that, maybe it's best not to buy a MoCo safe, in a fire, you may void your waranty by putting aftermarket valuables in it. .

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »

Buy the new MoCo CVO safe, it may have paint issues, and overheated hinges in a fire, and the lock mechanism may need replacement in the first 5000 miles, but they have a warranty policy, and factory reps, and a customer care dept., staffed with 300 MoCo employees, looking out for your best interests, ........oh wait, scratch that, maybe it's best not to buy a MoCo safe, in a fire, you may void your waranty by putting aftermarket valuables in it. .

All kidding aside, Liberty is the marketer of the HD safe.

http://www.libertysafe.com/Safe_HD%2033.lasso

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »

Well I can tell you that the ceiling temperature of a free burning room is at or about 2000 degrees. The average temp of the room is closing in on 1000 degrees. Now a bunch of stuff comes into play. Has it been vented???? Are the windows intact has it burned through the roof? These factors will come into play into the actual room temps.

Hope this helps

Be Safe

THE DAWG

What the house is made of (wood vs. brick?) will have a marked affect, too.  But looking at fire rated safes, he's probably looking at worse case scenario.

I'd be interested in seeing what comes out of this research..........for the same reasons.  I have to buy a larger safe.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 11:29:42 AM »

What the house is made of (wood vs. brick?) will have a marked affect, too.  But looking at fire rated safes, he's probably looking at worse case scenario.

I'd be interested in seeing what comes out of this research..........for the same reasons.  I have to buy a larger safe.

JC

Buy another bike instead of hording that play money in a safe.
Worked for me and with Nancy working for Wachovia access is no problem!

:coolblue:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »

ARTIC sorry for taking so long getting back to you on this subject. This long distance thing and getting ready to move thing is killing us both.

If the room is in free burn and the windows pop. You still have a great amount of heat in the room. The added amount of O2 only fuels the fire. It will get hotter before it starts to cool down. The ceiling temps will remain constant. Once the fuel is used up it will start to cool down or burn itself out. Unless someone like yours truly shows up and places about 100 to 250 GPM on the fire in a nice 30 degree fog pattern.

Most of your well built gun safes have a 2 hour fire rating. That is more than enough for the average homeowner.

JC just to make a point, it really doesn't matter if the house is ordinary construction of masonry construction when the heat is on. The masonry or concrete structure will just hold the heat much longer after the fire is out and make overhaul a living hell!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.