Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screamin Eagle 110 heads  (Read 5811 times)

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
Screamin Eagle 110 heads
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

Hello all again, I just received  my new SE 110 heads with ACR, the inside of the combustion chamber and ports are all coated with what looks like the same wrinkle black that is on the outside of heads. Was checking with service manager he stated he is not sure why. He also showed me a 110 CVO down for head gaskets and it is coated also, with areas of the coating flaking off. This does not appear to be a ceramic coating to help with heat dissipitation.
but rather just powder coating or paint. what is everyone's recommendations. have them polished out, leave it alone, other
thanks in advance. FastFreddie

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Screamin Eagle 110 heads
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »

Hello all again, I just received  my new SE 110 heads with ACR, the inside of the combustion chamber and ports are all coated with what looks like the same wrinkle black that is on the outside of heads. Was checking with service manager he stated he is not sure why. He also showed me a 110 CVO down for head gaskets and it is coated also, with areas of the coating flaking off. This does not appear to be a ceramic coating to help with heat dissipitation.
but rather just powder coating or paint. what is everyone's recommendations. have them polished out, leave it alone, other
thanks in advance. FastFreddie

If it's overspray powder coating and not thermal coating, it'll probably burn away anyway. But you want ports and combustion chamber as smooth as possible for best performance. That's why you hear of heads being "ported and polished". ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »

Yeah get em polished at least.  Port matched would be a bonus, why not while it's on the bench.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »

If it's overspray powder coating and not thermal coating, it'll probably burn away anyway. But you want ports and combustion chamber as smooth as possible for best performance. That's why you hear of heads being "ported and polished". ;)

Hoist! 8)

Sorry Howie, I disagree. You want EXHAUST ports polished smooth as a baby's ass. You want your COMBUSTION CHAMBER smooth as a baby's ass so you don't get any carbon build up BUT, you want your INTAKE ports to be rough to cause the air/fuel mix to tumble around and mix itself properly before it ignites.

B B 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

Sorry Howie, I disagree. You want EXHAUST ports polished smooth as a baby's ass. You want your COMBUSTION CHAMBER smooth as a baby's ass so you don't get any carbon build up BUT, you want your INTAKE ports to be rough to cause the air/fuel mix to tumble around and mix itself properly before it ignites.

B B 

You're correct. You want turbulence for good mixing, but not necessarily rough. And you want correct velocities for the application. You want it finished predictibly as designed by the engine builder. I was speaking generally for purposes of answering his general question. Sorry for not explaining exactly how to port and polish a head to the man. I never would, since I don't do this myself, or design engines. I just understand the processes involved, and speak from my experience. I won't make specific recommendations on anything I don't have first hand experience on. I'll just recommend they talk to the experts. As in this case, if he's considering doing any work on the heads, we must assume he'll be bringing it to that expert. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »

Obviously, I don't do my own head porting/polishing and then turn around and preach Dave Mackie. BUT, I believe whether you do your own work or not, it's important to understand what's involved so you have some idea of whether or not you're getting what you're paying for. There's people on this site that do ALL of their own work and yet post very low key responses to some of the threads. Then there's those who do NONE of their own work and are very high profile in talkin tech. That's fine with me so long as the info they provide is accurate. At the end of the day the purpose of this site is to share information; good information I would hope. 

B B

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »

Yes, I agree, I have always thought the ports and chamber should be smooth and polished
I know some people are doing a thermal type of coating to some very successfully.
But my question is, this is from HD as Screamin Eagle 110 heads from P&A and the ports and chamber
are coated with a rough coating not unlike that on the outside of heads. Local dealer has a 110 apart for head gaskets and have had others and all the 110's they have had apart have this type of coating in them. the one
I looked at on the bench even had the coating flaking in the intake port. Why is HD doing this, any ideas
the other SE heads i have seen have all had nicely polished chambers and ports.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »

Hello ,my name is Dewey = Dewey's Custom. I have been porting H-D heads since 1978 .  ALL the black heads and silver for that matter ,are painted {powered coating} first , completely , before they are machined. ALL HEADS ! The only H-D head that is not painted in the ports ,is the CNC heads. Look in the ports of a 1984 EVO , yes ,the paint will wear away inside the intake port ,now you can see where the air is going ! You never see the paint wore away from 'around' the guide , WHY ?  no air there. If you were a little man standing next to the giude {valve stem}  ,your hair would not move. If you are worried about it , bead blast the combustion chamber and ports, that is what I always do ,and like what was mentioned ,smooth ex. port and cc , rough intake port {80 grit} but thats not so true anymore { fuel inj.}  because your fuel is 'squirted' on the back side of your valve ,and most heads have a great 'squish' so that re-atomizes' your AF mixture ,whatever ,we can talk about this for weeks, don't worry .

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »

Hello ,my name is Dewey = Dewey's Custom. I have been porting H-D heads since 1978 .  ALL the black heads and silver for that matter ,are painted {powered coating} first , completely , before they are machined. ALL HEADS ! The only H-D head that is not painted in the ports ,is the CNC heads. Look in the ports of a 1984 EVO , yes ,the paint will wear away inside the intake port ,now you can see where the air is going ! You never see the paint wore away from 'around' the guide , WHY ?  no air there. If you were a little man standing next to the giude {valve stem}  ,your hair would not move. If you are worried about it , bead blast the combustion chamber and ports, that is what I always do ,and like what was mentioned ,smooth ex. port and cc , rough intake port {80 grit} but thats not so true anymore { fuel inj.}  because your fuel is 'squirted' on the back side of your valve ,and most heads have a great 'squish' so that re-atomizes' your AF mixture ,whatever ,we can talk about this for weeks, don't worry .

Dewey, aren't you from the Farmington,NM, Durango area? If so I've heard of you, know some guys with heads you've done, they like them.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

dat be me homes , riding down to TAOS ,NM. now . good mexcan food there , already put the toilet paper in the freezer for tommorro. LOL

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.