Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harley Noise not here, please help!!  (Read 8623 times)

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Harley Noise not here, please help!!
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:16:27 AM »

Hi, Im just registered and Im wondering if anyone can help me out.
I have just purchased a 96 Roadking.  To my disappointment it dosent have what I'd call a Harley noise, its too quiet.  Really smooth but not what I'd expect from a Harley.  Can someone please point me in the direction of solving my problem, maybe something to do with the exhaust or air intake?  Im not sure as this is my first Harley.  

thanks
Dathaii
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:17:44 AM by Dathaii »

RedFXR2

Re: Harley Noise not here, please help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:41:52 AM »

My first thought is that folks have different ideas of what the "Harley noise" is all about.  But, if you're looking for suggestions for exhaust, then I'd suggest you be patient and go to events like bike nights or rallys and listen to a bunch of evo-powered bikes and take note of what pipes they have.  Some are louder than others, and some are much louder than others. :)  And after the "how loud" issue, some have different tones, aside from just volume.

There are a ton of pipes out there, and they run the gamut in style, performance and sound, so shop around.

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

Thanks for the advice, the only thing I can compare it to at the moment is my friends Heritage Softail.  Its louder than mine with a real (good!!) rattle from the engine!!!

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 01:57:12 PM »

Here's a picture of the bike and exhaust, anyone know which exhaust system it is or can you tell from a picture?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »

View from the side would provide a clearer idea of what's on your bike. The pic you provided looks like a BUB, but it can't be that since I don't think you'd be calling BUB pipes too quiet. I agree with the post above from Red, the wisest thing you could do would be to go to a spot where bikes congregate and check out the looks and sound of some. As to your friend's bike " rattling "  The only Harley's I've ever heard that the exhaust has a rattle are panheads. Maybe there's a chuffing sound you are calling a rattle, but you don't want rattle in an EVO, believe me.

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:52:58 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone, here is a side picture of the bike.  When I mean rattle I should say the sound I associate with a Harley.  My bike is more like a cat purring than a tiger roaring, if you catch my meaning!!

Anyway hope the picture helps if not Ill just wait until the dealer in Waterford gets back from the HOG European Killarney rally.....

Thanks Again

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:11:08 PM »

Dathaii,
Welcome to the site, and that's a nice looking scooter you have there. Don't recognize those pipes you have, but from the diameter of the opening on those mufflers it has to be restricting your motor. There are so many different pipes/mufflers to choose from (slip-ons, true-duals, 2 into 1, etc.) that your best bet is to look around at other Evo's that have aftermarket exhaust systems and find something you like looks and sound of. Best of luck.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »

Hi Fired00d
Thanks for the advice, I can see now from all the replies that it is not as straight as I first thought!!!!!!.. There are not too many roadkings where I live in this part of Ireland but I can contact the dealer next week and see what he can do for me.

Thanks to you all for the help makes me feel very welcome indeed.

Dathaii

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »

Those look like stock mufflers from a fairly late model twin cam which would be way too restrictive on an EVO. Man I can see why you don't like the sound.

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »

Thanks Spiderman,

At least its not just my ear, my friend the softail rider said the same.  Any ideas for a decent system which would give more traditional feeling?
thanks
Dathaii

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

Sure I've got ideas, but it's your ride Dude. You need to do what is going to push your buttons not mine. One thing I will say is make sure you don't fall in love with something on a big inch motor or even an 88 twin cam. There's a ton of nice Evo slip ons. Whay don't you post a thread in the "Buying "section of this site that you're looking for some slip on mufflers for an Evo motor Road King and see what folks come up with. I'd be willing to bet there's some muffs sitting around gathering dust in someone's garage. One piece of advice I am going to give you is to stay away from those long skinny fishtail type mufflers. They do not make doggy doo for power.

Big B

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 04:01:32 AM »

Thanks for the advice Spiderman, you have been a real help.  As you can gather I dont have much of an idea about Harleys, but Ive taken the plunge and am willing to learn.  
Thanks Again

Dathaii

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:38:36 AM »

Dathaii,
We've had screaming eagle slip on's on her evo for years now.  They do a good job with out being too $ or too loud.  I'm sure there are better pipes for performance out there, but since it's her bike, I don't want it too fast!! ;D  I had a set of double d's on mine.  Loved the sound and performance, but DG performance (parent company of Hard Krome which made the double d's) was TERRIBLE to deal with on warranty issues.  Of course, having them quit making the pipes after they'd sold them to 500 or so fo us didn't help either.  You can look at some of the other forums out there for exhaust ideas as well.  One has a specific forum for exhaust.  There's another site that deal strictly with performance of harleys.  Do a search for nightrider and harley.  You'll find it.  Look at his performance guide.  You can decide how far you want to go and then pick the exhaust to get there.  Of course, that's just one site.  There's tons of stuff and opinions out there.  The best thing to do is as everybody has suggested, go and listen to others!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 11:42:01 AM »

I would offer one suggestion - look for pipes with replaceable baffles.  That way if you don't like the sound level you can change baffles and not the entire muffler.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »

Thanks everyone, the helps been great.  I have made an enquiry here from a HD rider and he said I might have to change the carb or get the bike chipped.  To be honest speed isnt important for me, Id prefer a louder sound.  We had a HD rally here in Killarney (European event)  over the weekend 8-10k bikes, I could'nt make it due to work but I will see if I can meet others soon and have a listen.  

Two Polish HD riders were killed on the way back when a car collided with them -RIP

Again thanks to you all and safe riding

Dathaii

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »

Hi there Dathaii - I was at the HOG rally in Killarney - you probably don't want to hear this but you missed a great time...

I'm told the young Polish guys that were killed was due to a stolen BMW taking them out and I believe there was another incident where a local guy got killed too.

Certainly makes you pay attention to the other traffic.

This was our first visit to the "Emerald Isle" and my wife and I loved it.

We had nothing but good vibes from everyone, bikers and citizens alike and the scenery was amazing.

As far as your search for replacement mufflers is concerned, I may have something in my garage that would suit your bike - I used to have a Road King before my SEEG.

Your dealer will probably recommend you buy new from him but, while you are experimenting, pre-used will be a cheaper option.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 09:46:28 PM »

Hi Dave

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip here.  Yes in Ireland we have a little problem with our road in the area of safety.  Our roads are not brilliant and neither are our drivers!!!!

Yep Id be interested in any ideas you might have, to be honest I dont know a whole lot about the exhaust system (if I need a new one of just a muffler) Maybe you have something for me.  

If you do Im sure we can come to an arrangement.

Thanks for the time in replying and above all

Safe riding,

Dathaii

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 02:20:36 AM »

Hi

Does anyone know if I can fit these mufflers directly without any other hardware to my bike they are Screamin Eagle Slip on  Pro Performance Mufflers HD part # 65115-98B.  I currently have the following mufflers part no 65680-95A (If anyone can tell me what these are Id appreciate it)

One person tells me I need a stage one kit and the next says I dont......

ANybody help me out?

thanks

Dathaii

Dathaii

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

Hi All

Just got a pair of Hance and VInes Big Shot mufflers for the bike.....WOW.....massive sound.......................Now my bike sounds like what I thought a Harley should souns like.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.

Safe riding

Dathaii

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »

Glad to hear you got that Potato, Potato sound going on. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »

I also have a 97 RK and I changed out my OEM mufflers with Screamin Eagle slip-ons. They work for me. However, I agree with RED, go see, look, and listen and pick out what works for you. Also keep in mind that $$$$$$ vary on the option and configuration you pick. BTW, nice scoot. Here are my two RK's.
Ron

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »

Hers's my other
Ron

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »

Holy crap Ron! Where the hell are you finding this stuff? ;D I see you're having fun here! BTW, nice pic of my '96 B&G RK. I told you before you have good taste! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »

Try this site, listen to these mufflers, Click on the pipes, and a sound bite will play! If all your looking for is a better sound these or fullsac would be the cheapest, not to say you won't get some hp too.

http://www.rollingthunderpipes.com/products.htm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:40:57 PM by Talon »

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »

Just had Rush muffler's installed and they are prety much what I was looking for.
Ron

Jester_Red07

• http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/VROCKSE/RedJester034.jpg
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 2 VRSCSE
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »

welcome, good luck with the Bike!

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »

Dathaii those look like stock mufflers european Modell the use them till 2006
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.