Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning Harley Cast Solid Rear Wheel  (Read 3943 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Cleaning Harley Cast Solid Rear Wheel
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »

The wheel is 16" Cast Solid Rear Wheel like on  Fatboy. It is dull and greasy. I can get rid of the grease with Gunk. The wheel is cast and rough , so can't be easily polished. The outermost edges and inner part with the hole pattern can be polished. Mainly it's the rough casting that needs cleaned up and hopefully made brighter.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Cleaning Harley Cast Solid Rear Wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

When I had my 89, I took the wheels to a professional polishing company, they looked chrome plated when they where done.  They sanded the rough cast smooth and then polished the entire wheel.

$100.00 per wheel back in1990.  Try a truck stop, a lot of them have guys that stop in and polish wheels for semi trucks.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »

I had a 96 Softail Custom with a solid back wheel. I kept it clean and polished best I could but after 60,000 plus miles it just looked terrible. So I painted the inner cast part.
I pulled the wheel and washed and scrubbed it with dawn dish soap and stiff brush. Rinsed and dried it off and taped over the parts I did not want painted. Found some automotive paint (cast color) at the local auto parts store and after several lite coats it looked like new again.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »

I had a 96 Softail Custom with a solid back wheel. I kept it clean and polished best I could but after 60,000 plus miles it just looked terrible. So I painted the inner cast part.
I pulled the wheel and washed and scrubbed it with dawn dish soap and stiff brush. Rinsed and dried it off and taped over the parts I did not want painted. Found some automotive paint (cast color) at the local auto parts store and after several lite coats it looked like new again.

i did the same on my sporty.  only i painted the inner rough part black  :2vrolijk_21:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

Rough area of the wheel is not hard to clean, you just need some Etching alum wheel cleaner and a little patience. Spray it on, scrub it a little and rinse, maybe a couple times. Then polish the machined parts with a Mag Wheel Polish. I have bought a couple of these wheels that folks thought were beyond being brought back, cleaned and polished them and they sold pretty easy. You can keep them from doing that in the future by using a milder product such as A to Z mag wheel cleaner from Eagle One or similar. Also this stuff cleans your tires exceptional.

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 21 queries.