Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dealer Maintenance Program and Oil Changes  (Read 4520 times)

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
  • God Bless Chesty Puller
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
Dealer Maintenance Program and Oil Changes
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »

My dealer, HD of Bergen County, offers a 4-year maintenance program that includes all of the scheduled maintenance plus oil changes at every 2.5k miles. The program makes sense to me. It costs $2000, but I ride about 10,000 mile a year. At this oil change frequency, I'm thinking that I shouldn't need to use synthetic oil, but I know that my CVORK has synthetic in it now. Is it ok to go back to dino oil after using synthetic? I've heard that I shouldn't but it sounds like a myth to me. Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks.
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Dealer Maintenance Program and Oil Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »

It's the heat your air cooled motor produces that demands syn oil.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

Is the oil and filter included into that price?  The HD manual has everything set up on a 5000mile schedule.  Why are they offerening 2500?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »

If you stick to the manufacturer's recommended intervals, and there isn't any real reason not to, then you're talking about two oil changes per year if you ride 10k per year.  That would make for a maximum of eight oil and filter changes, four primary fluid changes, and two trans fluid changes over the four year term of the contract.  So let's figure about $63 for engine oil and filter times eight, or $504.  Then add about $18 for 1.25 quarts of primary fluid, times four, or $72.  Then you have about $15 for a quart of trans fluid, times two, or $30.  Throw in $10 for some O-rings for the drain plugs.  So we have a grand total of $616 for fluids and filters over that four year period.  That leaves about $1384 labor.  If you don't mind paying full price for the fluids and filters, and almost $1400 for less than twelve hours of simple labor, then maybe it's a decent deal.  I prefer to do those services myself, so I know they are done right and using the fluids and filters I prefer, but I realize some people don't know how or just prefer to let someone else get their hands dirty.   

Is it a good deal?  Depends on who you are.  If you're the dealership, it's a good deal for them.  A regular consumer, not so much.  It all comes down to how much value you place on having someone else do the work.  Only you can answer that question.  Btw, I assumed this includes all the other maintenance items on the interval checklists.  If it doesn't, and is only fluid changes, then that labor charge is way beyond ridiculous. 

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »

The "2,500 mile oil change" was created at the dealership level to sell you more fluids, filters, and labor if they do the service.  It also gets you into their dealership twice as many times, increasing the likelihood of selling you something else. Don't let anyone sell you on the idea that a Harley needs the oil changed this often...that's counter to the factory established service intervals.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »

The "2,500 mile oil change" was created at the dealership level to sell you more fluids, filters, and labor if they do the service.  It also gets you into their dealership twice as many times, increasing the likelihood of selling you something else. Don't let anyone sell you on the idea that a Harley needs the oil changed this often...that's counter to the factory established service intervals.

I agree.

I stay with synthetic (after break-in on new pistons, rings, cylinders etc...), redline shockproof in the tranny, & formula+ in the primary.

This plan wouldn't work for me on the '09 since that is my long distance bike and I don't always know where I'll be when the oil requires changing...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Johncr

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »

Would this possibly include the fork and brake fluid changes per scheduled interval?

"4-year maintenance program that includes all of the scheduled maintenance plus oil changes at every 2.5k miles."

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:07:14 PM »

Is the oil and filter included into that price?  The HD manual has everything set up on a 5000mile schedule.  Why are they offerening 2500?
Yes, it includes oil and filter. I guess they figure at 2500 miles intervals, it's a deal.
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »

Would this possibly include the fork and brake fluid changes per scheduled interval?

"4-year maintenance program that includes all of the scheduled maintenance plus oil changes at every 2.5k miles."
This includes everything listed in the owner's for the 5,000,10,000 etc. maintenance intervals.
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

If you stick to the manufacturer's recommended intervals, and there isn't any real reason not to, then you're talking about two oil changes per year if you ride 10k per year.  That would make for a maximum of eight oil and filter changes, four primary fluid changes, and two trans fluid changes over the four year term of the contract.  So let's figure about $63 for engine oil and filter times eight, or $504.  Then add about $18 for 1.25 quarts of primary fluid, times four, or $72.  Then you have about $15 for a quart of trans fluid, times two, or $30.  Throw in $10 for some O-rings for the drain plugs.  So we have a grand total of $616 for fluids and filters over that four year period.  That leaves about $1384 labor.  If you don't mind paying full price for the fluids and filters, and almost $1400 for less than twelve hours of simple labor, then maybe it's a decent deal.  I prefer to do those services myself, so I know they are done right and using the fluids and filters I prefer, but I realize some people don't know how or just prefer to let someone else get their hands dirty.   

Is it a good deal?  Depends on who you are.  If you're the dealership, it's a good deal for them.  A regular consumer, not so much.  It all comes down to how much value you place on having someone else do the work.  Only you can answer that question.  Btw, I assumed this includes all the other maintenance items on the interval checklists.  If it doesn't, and is only fluid changes, then that labor charge is way beyond ridiculous. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks for the break-down. I should have looked at it that way. I was only considering the normal cost that the dealer charges for the regular interval maintenance. The only thing that I won't do is the fork oil change but I think that I could part with a few hundred bucks every 10,000 miles to pay someone to do that for me. I'll take your advice and continue to do the fluid changes myself. Thanks again.
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

I notice on the web site they do not have any of the conventional oil or formula+ listed. Called 3 dealers they all told me that HD will not be offering any more conventional oil or offering formula+ once stock has been depleted.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

harsh1828

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »

When I purchased my 12 my dealer offered VIP lfull maintenance for as long as I own the bike every 2500 miles and one free tire and install is included.  I figure at 15,000 miles it was paid for.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »

When I purchased my 12 my dealer offered VIP lfull maintenance for as long as I own the bike every 2500 miles and one free tire and install is included.  I figure at 15,000 miles it was paid for.

never seen a vip plan with no expiration date.  how much did that puppy cost?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

harsh1828

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »

$2,000.00

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

Anyone that runs ANY oil other than synthetic, has their head in the sand.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.