Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New comp install problem........HELP!!!!!!  (Read 3434 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
New comp install problem........HELP!!!!!!
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »

I just finished installing the new comp in my 09 classic. I started it up and it rattles like a can of marbles.

I am speechless........what's wrong, any comments. I am going to open the primary again is there anything I should look for?

bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: New comp install problem........HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »

Are you talking about SE Comp  42200064A , if so, have you fitted the Radial roller bearing that comes with it, if so its probably this that is making the rattling noise.

Would strongly suggest you go to compensaver.com and do some research, been there, got the compensaver fitted
with there thrust bearing instead of the HD radial bearing.

It now runs well with little or no noise!!      Compensaver.com

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:10:37 PM by 110 Mofo »
WHUFC   COYI

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

Yes it is the new SE with roller bearing. This 09 that I am doing is up for sale and I have a comp saver to put in my new 2014. I didn't want to sell the 09 with a bad comp so I updated it but it is pretty noise. I didn't want to by two compsavers.

thanx
bub

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »

Contact GMR performance, explain your situation, ask if they will sell you just there thrust bearing,
Wont stop it from chewing itself to pieces eventually, but will stop the noise!

Good luck.
WHUFC   COYI

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »

I've recently put two of the 64A compensators in and I am very pleased with the performance compared to the prior model, including smoothness of shifting and how quiet they are. It's just a matter of following the install instructions carefully, take your time, make sure everything is seated properly, and torque the new T70 compensator bolt to 175 ft. lbs. Also make sure the clutch hub is installed correctly, left hand threads, and torque to spec.

The install wasn't done correctly or you have a defective part if it's rattling like a can of marbles.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »

I think I found the problem. The starter drive was staying slightly engaged with the ring gear......and now the story.  :bigcry:

When I started this job I also had to replace the ring gear and starter drive (5 missing teeth on the ring gear and half of one on the starter drive). Now when I replaced the drive I made sure to remove the little ball bearing and I put it in the new drive.....BINGO I think the new drive came with a new bearing and ....duh like a dummy I doubled up on the bearing and I think that is why the drive stays out to far.......so I will tear the starter apart and check. Stay tuned......

BINGO........problem fixed to many Balls in the drive.....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:22:46 PM by bubtrauma »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »

I think I found the problem. The starter drive was staying slightly engaged with the ring gear......and now the story.  :bigcry:

When I started this job I also had to replace the ring gear and starter drive (5 missing teeth on the ring gear and half of one on the starter drive). Now when I replaced the drive I made sure to remove the little ball bearing and I put it in the new drive.....BINGO I think the new drive came with a new bearing and ....duh like a dummy I doubled up on the bearing and I think that is why the drive stays out to far.......so I will tear the starter apart and check. Stay tuned......

BINGO........problem fixed to many Balls in the drive.....

Too many balls.....   (so often this causes problems).

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

Well I just finished installing the new SE Comp  42200064A and GMR Compensaver with the GMR Thrush Bearing and Hayden Chain Tensioner and so far all is smooth shifting and no rattle.  However when shutting down I have a mild "clunk".  I followed all the directions and torqued everything as required per New Comp to 175 Ft LBS.  Might have to go for a ride to see if it just needs a period of break in.  The Hayden Tensioner has a slight whirring as normal for the first 500 miles per Specs.  Any ideas as what might be the causing the clink?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »

:-\
It's been a few yrs back,  but I had the SE comp put in to replace the stock comp in my '09 SE Ultra 110.  Before the swap,  no "clunk"...............after the swap,  had the "clunk" when shutting down.  Never did cause a problem while I still owned that bke. :nixweiss:

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »

:-\
It's been a few yrs back,  but I had the SE comp put in to replace the stock comp in my '09 SE Ultra 110.  Before the swap,  no "clunk"...............after the swap,  had the "clunk" when shutting down.  Never did cause a problem while I still owned that bke. :nixweiss:

moscooter; thanks for the reply, I went back thru all my notes and specs and thought I might have forgotten something during removal and replacement of the old and new comp and compensaver.  I didn't have any left over parts and followed all torque specs.  I thought the new comp and compensaver was to eliminate all the noise.  Rattles are gone and shifting is better and quite now.  like I said hope the clunk goes away.  at least I don't hear it on startup.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.