Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.  (Read 28561 times)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Rattle/noise/vibration in nuetral.
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »

ya, i  have tried changing the trans oil, amsoil Vtwin trans oil, HD formula stuff, and Spectro 95w, in that order starting at 130 miles on the bike. rattle noise never changed (better or worse) my big issue is with the dealer... i know i can live with this noise and probably never have a break down related to what ever is causing this noise....but they told me it would go away after it got broke in... so i went back a week later and asked how many miles dose it take to break in the tranny, yes i know all this stuff but now its a game for me, he tells me a  1000 miles. so i drag him out to the bike and start it, rattle rattle rattle, i say to him bike has 1160 miles on it  now what? he tells me put some more miles on it and see what happens, so i tell him no problem, ill drop it off in a couple months, 9100 miles on it. ball in their court now, im not mad and i realy like this bike but it will be traded when the next COV RGU comes along, 2018 i hope. till then they can have it till the weather in iowa gets better  :nixweiss: also will add that my 13 RGC has never made this noise and i have beat the snot out of it and lost a out put shaft bearing @26k miles, that was easy for them to find and fix no other issues with that trans @49k now. my 11 RGC non CVO no noise at all with that bike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:53:28 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »

Thanks. I am aware it is covered in Cal by the lemon law. Absolutely last resort and not something I want.
I'm with you on the hoping for the best . I have additional money in mine and just want to ride it and enjoy it. Just a shame I have seen so many of those 110's have issues for so long and for the company to put their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen is frustrating.

The latest drama with my 16 Limited CVO. Took it to another dealer for the 5K service along with the usual complaint about the rattle and vibration. Good dealer and good service manager I have dealt with before. They did the service went through the usual Company bulletin about neutral rattle etc. Then he tells me he called HD for review and let them know they found moisture and water in my oil. The reply from the Company even surprised him. The customer service rep asked him if I lived near the ocean or water or perhaps wash my bike to much. Also asked if i don't ride it enough and just start it and turn it off in my garage. Even dealer was surprised. I reminded both he and Milwaukee i did not notice that you could not own the bike near the water as it will develop problems as well as staying out of the rain on it ( pure BS).He told me we would change the oil every 2000 miles and he would pay for the labor and oil if i pay for the filter and he will document and watch it for further issues.
I called Milwaukee and in my calmest of voices told them this is ridiculous. I am not riding that bike any further from home than a short cab ride home. I almost refused to pick the bike up from the dealer but I really wanted to enjoy my new bike .
Two weeks later i received a call from Milwaukee and they are sending a rep out to look at my bike ( whatever that means).
Currently waiting for the call confirming the date so i can drop it off at the dealer.   
Not sure what is worse having all these problems with the bike or the crap I take from my wife over my 40K motorcycle that i had to have instead of the perfectly good 2014 Limited ( which she loved) i sold to get it.

bogosh717

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 07 CVO Ultra
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »

I need some help. I have an 07 cvo ultra. The primary is making a loud noise in neutral. When I pull the clutch lever and put the bike in gear the noise goes away. Anyone have any ideas ?
1: compensator ?
2: inner bearing ?

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2016, 12:13:58 PM »

I need some help. I have an 07 cvo ultra. The primary is making a loud noise in neutral. When I pull the clutch lever and put the bike in gear the noise goes away. Anyone have any ideas ?
1: compensator ?
2: inner bearing ?

According to Harley Davidson it's supposed to sound that way.... :D
I believe they have produced a bulletin to encompass that and it's called Neutral rattle. There problem solved....

Join the club.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »

According to Harley Davidson it's supposed to sound that way.... :D
I believe they have produced a bulletin to encompass that and it's called Neutral rattle. There problem solved....

Join the club.

All kidding aside, he has an '07 and is just now complaining about it, so something must have changed to bring up the complaint at this time.

As I remember on my '08 SERK, I didn't have any rattle in neutral nor do I have any rattle in neutral on my '09 SERG.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

bogosh717

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 07 CVO Ultra
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »

That's why I tihink it maybe the inner bearing. I think I'll be pulling the primary cover off and checking the tensioner too. It just seems to be getting louder. I just changed the exhaust so maybe I hear it more. It doesn't sound like rattle is sounds more metallic.  I just picked this bike up last year and it's been noisy since I got it. I put redline in the primary but it didn't quiet it down at all.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »

I think it is there in the 110 and some folks just live with it and some it bothers. I suspect it may or may not result in further damage as time goes on. If you can live with the "noise" and rattling of metal like a coffee can with nuts and bolts being shaken in your ear then it's a wonderful bike and great looking but for some it's a problem.  I have been around these 110's since they came out and well over 90% of those i have been around have had multiple engines warrantied by Harley. That includes a 2013 that got 1000 miles from the dealer and stopped running leaving the hotel parking lot.That owner received a new motor and sold the bike 6 months later. I fell for the dealer story "it's better now and we fixed the problem" and bought my 2016. My bad and I'm dealing with it best i can. And yes HD fixed their bikes and if it gives you plenty of time to sit in dealerships all over the country and buy a tee-shirt but I wanted more from the experience.
For some folks  they ride it for a few years and then sell them. I suspect many never go down the 110 road again. I remain optimistic the new engine design is better. Always been a big fan of the HD motorcycle and still am . But the 110 was a mistake in my opinion and i think HD knows it. I have been amazed the amount of CYA that goes on when dealing with Milwaukee and the dealer. Some will even tell you they are restricted in what they can put on paper so they are very careful when servicing the bike in what they report. If you are lucky and have a long term relationship with a service person they will verbally tell you they can't do or say certain things at risk of loosing their job so they don't and i understand their situation. Perhaps one day someone will step up and be the "whistle blower" on HD and those of us who experienced the problem will nod our collective heads and smile.For many i suspect it's just easier to sell the bike and move on rather than go through the months and months of dealer visits and phone calls from Wisconsin.
By the way never had a problem with my 2014 103. Ran good and met all my needs. Hind sight is 20/20.

Rant over.

Best of luck to those trying to navigate the issue.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

I've had two 110", an '08 and my current '09.

I've had zero issues with them with warranty except for chrome on a front wheel and the very poor fitting seat on the '09 SERG.  I've upgraded my '09 to the 30t drive sprocket and I did the swingarm mod with the gussets.  That's the best bang for my buck still on the bike.  I'm still on my original comp with the '09 and when I took it out for the 30t upgrade, it had basically zero wear on the ramps and flat mating surfaces.

I guess some have issues and some don't, I'm just lucky I guess.  Knock on wood...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »

I've had two 110", an '08 and my current '09.

I've had zero issues with them with warranty except for chrome on a front wheel and the very poor fitting seat on the '09 SERG.  I've upgraded my '09 to the 30t drive sprocket and I did the swingarm mod with the gussets.  That's the best bang for my buck still on the bike.  I'm still on my original comp with the '09 and when I took it out for the 30t upgrade, it had basically zero wear on the ramps and flat mating surfaces.

I guess some have issues and some don't, I'm just lucky I guess.  Knock on wood...

My first 110 . However my 10th HD and none of them had issues so I was lucky as well. Guess my luck ran out with this one. It's all good . I was just in the garage wiping it down and admiring what a good looking bike it is. Looks great sitting in the garage . Just can't stand to fire it up and listen to it.
Perhaps HD will check it out and agree to fix it or replace it and make it all go away. We will see.
Safe riding.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.