Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To buy or not to buy - Update, it's buy... well Trade actually  (Read 4446 times)

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
To buy or not to buy - Update, it's buy... well Trade actually
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »

Thinking of trading my 11 cvo rg in and getting a left over 16 cvo rg. Dealer has made a good offer

However it's got the older engine and my thought is to trade to a 17 rg ultra and ride it for a year or so until the next cvo rg ultra comes out

The 17 will be less money of course but in a year or two I think it might be better to have the new engine bike to trade over the older model

My biggest concern on either is the water cooled setup. Not being able to remove the lowers in the hot Florida summers may be a problem.

What say you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:25:33 PM by hotroadking »
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

Re: To buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »

If you're the kind of person that likes to put add on pipes and change things up you should read that thread here about EPA and having MoCo's head over a barrel & warranties not being covered from now on w/new bikes. Something to be aware of is all.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »

If the end game is to get a MKE 8 CVO RG, I'd ride your '11 till then.. more cost effective IMO
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »

If the end game is to get a MKE 8 CVO RG, I'd ride your '11 till then.. more cost effective IMO

:2vrolijk_21:  Exactamundo

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:  Exactamundo

I'll second that, Simon, with gusto.... ;D

As a plus on waiting, hotroadking, you can use that time of a year or so and see what may or may not crop up on the new Milwaukee 8 as far as problems.... :2vrolijk_21:

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »

Buying a left over 2016 may save you some money.  Remember it is already one year old. Check on kbb and see what a used 2016 is worth. That is what it will be worth as soon as you buy it.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 10:26:26 PM »

Buying a left over 2016 may save you some money.  Remember it is already one year old. Check on kbb and see what a used 2016 is worth. That is what it will be worth as soon as you buy it.

Buying the 2016 only makes sense if you plan to keep it for a while and get a darn good price on it. However, the thought was presented that it would be traded in a year for the newer Milwaukee 8 model. In that case, I believe the loss on your 2016 at trade-in will be too great. Better to hold the 2011 for another year and trade it on the Milwaukee 8.

Example: 2016 - Purchased at $35k plus extras they will hit you will .. so maybe you get out of the dealer around $38k assuming no ESP.
Your 2011 Trade value on the 2016 deal is about $19k with any luck. In a year, your 2011 Trade In might be $18k

Now, look at today's 2016 Trade-In value from KBB. It's already down at $31800. You already lose $6k when you walk out the door with that 2016. And next year I bet you that trade-in value on the 2016 has dropped another $3-4k.

Believe me, I just sold my 2015 FLTURE for $29250 with a 2+5 ESP transfer to the new owner. That represents a $15k cost of ownership for 2 years (not including service, gas and tires).

If you want a new bike in another year, hang tight, ride the 2011 and wait to see if the bike you want comes out in 2018.

Best of Luck,
DH

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »

dh,

there you go clouding the issue with cold, hard facts.....

I suspect that what is really going on is that the op wants a new bike.  now.  but he is smart enough to know that as soon as they come out with a m8 cvo rg, he is going to want that. 

what I would suggest doing is to spend a small amount of money on the bike now to 'spruce' it us some.  i'm not talking big bore kits or anything like that.  just a small chrome go faster goodie or something.  you know $200 or less.  then go on a weekend road trip.  by the end of the weekend, you'll either have fallen back in love with your bike, or the new bike bug will have bitten too hard.  you'll know what to do.  remember, it's only money and you have just the one life to live.  if that's what it'll take to make you happy, then go for it.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »

dh,

there you go clouding the issue with cold, hard facts.....

I suspect that what is really going on is that the op wants a new bike.  now.  but he is smart enough to know that as soon as they come out with a m8 cvo rg, he is going to want that. 

what I would suggest doing is to spend a small amount of money on the bike now to 'spruce' it us some.  i'm not talking big bore kits or anything like that.  just a small chrome go faster goodie or something.  you know $200 or less.  then go on a weekend road trip.  by the end of the weekend, you'll either have fallen back in love with your bike, or the new bike bug will have bitten too hard.  you'll know what to do.  remember, it's only money and you have just the one life to live.  if that's what it'll take to make you happy, then go for it.

There you go.

And maybe $$$ is not a real consideration. I have a friend who gets a new CVO every 2 years, regardless - not you FLSTI Dave, even if the shoe fits.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 11:50:31 PM »

On one hand, if you do it, you get hit twice...

On the other hand (and to steal a line from someone smarter than me):  I've been to a lot of funerals and never seen 'em bury any money.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »

I've got a 2011 CVO Road Glide also. I tried to trade my local dealer for 2016 CVO Road Glide. They offered me a real good price on their bike $34,000 but they only wanted to give me $15,000 of mine. it hasn't even got twenty thousand miles on it yet. I tried to trade for $15,000 difference and they wouldn't do it. that was back in the 1st of September. I went in there the last week of October and they still had that bike. Doesn't look like the 2015 and 16 for that popular bikes I'm reading about lots of leftover 2016 CVO Road Glide for sale all over the country. I think you'd be better off to trade for the 2017 Road Glide and forget about the 2016. Then if they do come out with a new CVO Road Glide then you can think about trading it in later. on another note how's the heat coming out of your engine mine's always been a hot bike and I just can't seem to cool it down. I've done a couple of different stage 1 2 it and it still runs really hot. I thought about putting cams in it to try and cool it down but I don't know if that would help or not. I went with the fullsac setup. TTS tuner and everything and he still couldn't get it cool down. I never have done a Dyno tune on it. maybe that was cool with that I just never wanted to spend the money. how is yours running?
2011 SERGU
2013 Road King Screamin' Eagle - SOLD

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »

Well finally traded the 2011 RG. Had it up to 60,000 miles it had needed several repairs and it was time

Been working a deal since October as my dealer had 4 left over 2016 CVO RGultras.  A week didn't go by without a call from them and the deal finally got done.  Picked it up last weekend. 2016 RGU CVO in silver got a great deal JMO, the numbers worked and the 11 is gone.

New bike runs great. The 6.5 radio is amazing blooteef I can take and make calls if I want text gps. Heck probably can launch a rocket lol  Got about 250 miles on it so far.

Ordered new CVO power cores from Fulsac, I could have moved the 11's but didn't want to mess
with it, kept the Fulsac header, it needs to be freshened up, need to get it recoated where its got a bit of rust from road debris.  Maybe I'll just sand it and hit it with high temp paint in those areas.

Have to order new CD dynamic rings for the front since HD changed the connectors.
May have a set of the older style (pre 16) dynamic rings for sale if a friend doesn't
take them first.

I considered the M8, but by the time I added exhaust (can't move the header) a tuner, heated grips and seat (yeah we do use them in FL when it gets below 73) chrome floorboards, pegs, forks I would eat up the difference on the 16 and still have a base 17 RGU with bolt ons that are worth nothing.  Just bit the bullet and got the 16, I'll ride it a few years and if HD comes out with an M8 CVO RG then move to it at the end of that model year.

Obviously I don't have to be the first in line for a new models, used to, but then I got older and it isn't as important...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:32:16 PM by hotroadking »
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: To buy or not to buy - Update, it's buy... well Trade actually
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

Very nice!! 

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »

Well finally traded the 2011 RG. Had it up to 60,000 miles it had needed several repairs and it was time

Been working a deal since October as my dealer had 4 left over 2016 CVO RGultras.  A week didn't go by without a call from them and the deal finally got done.  Picked it up last weekend. 2016 RGU CVO in silver got a great deal JMO, the numbers worked and the 11 is gone.

New bike runs great. The 6.5 radio is amazing blooteef I can take and make calls if I want text gps. Heck probably can launch a rocket lol  Got about 250 miles on it so far.

Ordered new CVO power cores from Fulsac, I could have moved the 11's but didn't want to mess
with it, kept the Fulsac header, it needs to be freshened up, need to get it recoated where its got a bit of rust from road debris.  Maybe I'll just sand it and hit it with high temp paint in those areas.

Have to order new CD dynamic rings for the front since HD changed the connectors.
May have a set of the older style (pre 16) dynamic rings for sale if a friend doesn't
take them first.

I considered the M8, but by the time I added exhaust (can't move the header) a tuner, heated grips and seat (yeah we do use them in FL when it gets below 73) chrome floorboards, pegs, forks I would eat up the difference on the 16 and still have a base 17 RGU with bolt ons that are worth nothing.  Just bit the bullet and got the 16, I'll ride it a few years and if HD comes out with an M8 CVO RG then move to it at the end of that model year.

Obviously I don't have to be the first in line for a new models, used to, but then I got older and it isn't as important...
Good luck with your new bike, I would have chimed in earlier however since I was severely burned back in late 2006 purchasing a first year production CVO Harley motor (110) it was impossible to for me to fathom anyone purchasing The Harley M8 at this point in time unless they are without a motorcycle; considering the Motor Company's track record and the fact the motorcycle buyer is the Research and Development for the new models they decide to spit out, example; the steering head is in front of the front forks on the Road King and other models, not to smart, if you want handling at very slow speeds. Just my opinion.

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.