Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 FLTRXSE2 110" CVO Road Glide - Suddenly High Oil Level  (Read 2014 times)

Bohemian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

2013 FLTRXSE2 110" CVO Road Glide - Suddenly High Oil Level
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »

I rode my Screaming Eagle CVO Road Glide to Sturgis & back this year without issue. 1200 miles each way, via the route I traveled from Las Vegas, Nevada to Sturgis.

It did not leak a drop and oil level did not change up or down during this interval.

Its been sitting more than I've rode it since, other than a poker run and a couple trips to the grocery store & back;
because I have other bikes I prefer to ride around town in stop-n-go traffic over the big inch Road Glide.

This last week I rode it 3 days to work & back, 11 miles each way, had no issues, but noticed my LED/LCD oil dip stick was showing all bars & hi-oil after it was warmed up & one bar less than full on cold on kickstand.

this is consistent with checking/comparing it with my factory dip stick...
today both dip sticks show it too full of oil cold or hot...

all bars cold on LED/LCD & about 1/4" below full hot on either dip stick on part that is immersed in oil.

I neither see nor smell any indication of gas in oil to account for the sudden rise in oil level.

Other than changing the grips & the dip stick this CVO is rolling stock with less than 5000 miles on it, and it runs & rides great.

Before I spend 200 for the H-D dealer to tell me this is normal, thanks have a nice day; can anybody tell me if this is a known issue and WTF causes it? and is it a critical, something is FUBAR issue, tow it, don't ride it to the nearest H-D dealership issue?

thanks in advance.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: 2013 FLTRXSE2 110" CVO Road Glide - Suddenly High Oil Level
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »

How did you check for gas in the oil?
Unless there is alot of gas in the oil you may not smell it.
With the oil up to temp put a few drops in the palm of your hand to see what it does. If the oil trails the lines in your skin, you have gas in the oil. If it does than I recomend to change it and the filter.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Bohemian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »

I rode my Screaming Eagle CVO Road Glide to Sturgis & back this year without issue. 1200 miles each way, via the route I traveled from Las Vegas, Nevada to Sturgis.

It did not leak a drop and oil level did not change up or down during this interval.

Its been sitting more than I've rode it since, other than a poker run and a couple trips to the grocery store & back;
because I have other bikes I prefer to ride around town in stop-n-go traffic over the big inch Road Glide.

This last week I rode it 3 days to work & back, 11 miles each way, had no issues, but noticed my LED/LCD oil dip stick was showing all bars & hi-oil after it was warmed up & one bar less than full on cold on kickstand.

this is consistent with checking/comparing it with my factory dip stick...
today both dip sticks show it too full of oil cold or hot...

all bars cold on LED/LCD & about 1/4" below full hot on either dip stick on part that is immersed in oil.

I neither see nor smell any indication of gas in oil to account for the sudden rise in oil level.

Other than changing the grips & the dip stick this CVO is rolling stock with less than 5000 miles on it, and it runs & rides great.

Before I spend 200 for the H-D dealer to tell me this is normal, thanks have a nice day; can anybody tell me if this is a known issue and WTF causes it? and is it a critical, something is FUBAR issue, tow it, don't ride it to the nearest H-D dealership issue?

thanks in advance.

After a lot more googling yesterday I found the following:
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/engine/21650-oil-transfering-primary-crankcase.html#/topics/21650?_k=68zm2i

Which in a nutshell states its a known issue for stator screws to come loose & allow the engine to suck primary oil into engine crankcase.

Which After checking, sure enough, my primary is low on oil the same amount my engine is over full.

Further, I've never leaked a drop to date.

Interestingly enough the H-D service manual states, throw the 4 stator screws away, do not reuse them. Because there is some kind of pellet based sealer on the threads that is activated upon threading in.

So, I'm going to see if this is a issue covered by my warranty or extended warranty at the H-D dealer, IF not I'll probably, order the screws & do it myself.

I'll post up, where I end up later this week.

IF anyone has any further comments, suggestions, etc., I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Bohemian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »

Update:
Dealership says IF they pull everything off the primary side & don't find anything, it's not covered by warranty or extended warranty.

Further, it's their opinion that its impossible for crankcase side to suck oil from primary side.

So I stated let's put some dye in primary side & put the debate to rest one way or another.

Will update when I see my crankcase go high & primary go low again.

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 22 queries.