Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 CVO soft clear coat  (Read 7149 times)

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

2015 CVO soft clear coat
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:28:10 AM »

I have the 2015 CVO street glide in starfire black and the clear coat is extremely soft, I cannot even wipe it down with a micro fiber towel with out leaving marks in the clear coat. the dealer buffed the tank at the 1000 mile service due to the clear coat being so messed up. I called the dealer and told them I am going to bring it back in to have it looked at and see what they can do to fix it.

Has anyone else have this issue on their new CVO?

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2015 CVO soft clear coat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

Yes, others have posted about the same issue with that paint.  If in fact the clear didn't cure and harden properly, there is no simple solution no matter what Harley may tell you.  Their approach will be similar to what happened with CVO's back in 2006 when they had a major problem with the paint.  Sanding and polishing out the surface scratches and haze will not fix the problem. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »

Had a bike painted base coat clear coat one time, clear was soft.  Turned out clear was old and would never harden.  Painter had to start all over and strip and repaint. I don't know of anything to cure soft paint that wont set.

Good luck 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »

Sorry to hear about this G-Man. Hope they get you straight.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:46:50 PM by Cross threaded »
Hard Candy Mercury/Smokey Quartz Flames
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
Rinehart 4" exhaust with Black tips
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner
Yaffe Originals CVO Stealth III Plate Cover
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Motor Mount Linkage
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent
OEM Chrome Passanger Back Rest & CVO Pad
OEM Chrome Saddlebag Latches

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Same bike, same color, same issue.
When i picked my bike up from the dealer, they didn't even detail it. They said every time they touched it, it just marked it. I rode it for about 6 weeks or more, just pressure washing the grime off, without actually touching it. It has finally hardened enough that last weekend i washed it and went over the whole bike with Meguiars paste wax, (pure synthetic polymer) and happy to say that 99% of the scuffs and micro scratches came out. It now looks better than the day i picked it up.
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I live 4 hours from the dealer so I will not be able to bring the bike back to them until June 7th, I am hoping they will have an answer to the clear coat issue. its an awesome bike but it would be nice to be able to wash it without leaving scratches.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »

I'd say the clear in my HC Mercury is pretty hard!  I had the spacers for the exhaust put on and some how....the dealer managed to get the bottom lip of the lower between the floor board and foot pad! After freaking out, I was sure the paint was gonna be marred after the 8 mile ride to get it fixed, but to my surprise.....it was fine....and I'm anal!  I think that they paint them and ship them and the clear needs to harden.  I was always told the clear isn't cured for atleast 60 days.

dean77

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »

I'd say the clear in my HC Mercury is pretty hard!  I had the spacers for the exhaust put on and some how....the dealer managed to get the bottom lip of the lower between the floor board and foot pad! After freaking out, I was sure the paint was gonna be marred after the 8 mile ride to get it fixed, but to my surprise.....it was fine....and I'm anal!  I think that they paint them and ship them and the clear needs to harden.  I was always told the clear isn't cured for atleast 60 days.

I have heard the same thing. My clearcoat seems rock solid as well but then being in New England it got to sit for over 3 months waiting for the snow to melt before I ever rode it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

The urethane based clearcoats used to take 30 plus days to fully cure, back in the bad old days.  That is not the case these days.  Back in the early 2000's when I was running the paint department at an auto assembly plant, we had just upgraded to either the third or fourth generation clears, I forget which, and they were sufficiently cured and hard enough to be sanded and polished right after the paint ovens.  The dealers could run the cars through their automatic car washes without scratching the paint as soon as they received them.  That had not been the case with the first generation urethane clears.  Those were the ones that lead many manufacturers to warn their dealers to not polish, wax, or run them through automatic car washes for at least 30 days.

Harley uses current generation clearcoats in their production, and I'm pretty sure they would require the same of their outside vendors for the CVO parts.  If this was a normal condition, all the parts of all the various colors from the vendor would have the same haze and easily scratched issue.  They do not.  So don't let anyone blow you off with that "normal" BS.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puppypushr

• SC

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Fatbob
    • CVO3: 2015 Streetglide
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »

Yep, same issue with mine.  Very frustrating

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »

Black is not a color......it's a commitment!

lrubio

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »

HighOnHD posted this and it worked for me: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100557.0  It's a lot of work but the paint looked amazing after I finished.

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:00 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and yes Irubio it sounds like HighOnHD is having the same problem I am with the clear coat. I thought I was getting a good deal when I paid 2000 under MSRP,I would have paid the full price if I didn't have to deal with this issue. I will keep you all posted on what the dealer says when I make it in to see them. Does anyone know if I can just have a harder clear sprayed over the soft clear on thebike our does it all have to be removed first?

Thanks!

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:55:57 AM »

The urethane based clearcoats used to take 30 plus days to fully cure, back in the bad old days.  That is not the case these days.  Back in the early 2000's when I was running the paint department at an auto assembly plant, we had just upgraded to either the third or fourth generation clears, I forget which, and they were sufficiently cured and hard enough to be sanded and polished right after the paint ovens.  The dealers could run the cars through their automatic car washes without scratching the paint as soon as they received them.  That had not been the case with the first generation urethane clears.  Those were the ones that lead many manufacturers to warn their dealers to not polish, wax, or run them through automatic car washes for at least 30 days.

Harley uses current generation clearcoats in their production, and I'm pretty sure they would require the same of their outside vendors for the CVO parts.  If this was a normal condition, all the parts of all the various colors from the vendor would have the same haze and easily scratched issue.  They do not.  So don't let anyone blow you off with that "normal" BS.

Jerry

HighOnHD posted this and it worked for me: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100557.0  It's a lot of work but the paint looked amazing after I finished.

Well I suppose I should chime in here and also give an update on my paint. First off sorry to hear about the additional cases of the so called "soft clear". In my humble opinion it is likely that all of the colors have this issue. In my email exchanges with Gunslinger I was told they use VT5200 (or maybe it was DCU5200) clear and if I wanted to respray with a harder clear that would be compatible to use DCU4000. If you look up the specs on PPG VT5200 it is designed specifically for custom painting and especially for covering graphics and pinstripe. It has very high solids and is more challenging to spray, yet it is advertised as easy to buff (this equals soft).  I doubt very much that non-cvo's are cleared with VT5200, and are more likely cleared with DCU4000 or similar.

Anyway, as for an update on my paint... the clear has definitely increased in hardness since the early (miserable) months of ownership. The lead painter at Gunslinger said it would continue to harden a little for as much as a year. Unlike some others I have been riding it throughout the Winter, caught in the rain several times, bugs splattered on it religiously, and even ridden on gravel roads a lot... you get the point. I get it dirty and actually have to clean it!!! Some colors hide the scratching better (like the lava flames on my bike AND like the silver on the HC). I have felt all along that as others actually get some time on their bikes this issue would surface more, and it seems like that is the case.

BTW. Since I'm on a rant... I'm by no means an expert, but the EPA has been continually pushing to reduce VOC's for manufacturers in this regard. This has been forcing the manufacturers into new formulations and processes to comply. The EPA does not give a damn if the clear is soft, or ends up sucking as long as their numbers are being met!! This damn issue ended up having me reading some damn PPG recent patents (maybe for VT5200) where they are having to create miracles to try and satisfy their customers AND the EPA.  :nervous: We can't blame everything on HD! Besides I believe in capitalism. They must be doing something right or we just would not buy the damn bikes! I love my bike!!!

G-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 12:38:17 AM »

Well I made it into the dealer and they said they want to put a "CILAJET" coating on my SG. they said it will protect the paint and will not scratch anymore.

So I wanted to see if anybody has heard of cilajet and if anybody has had this stuff applied to their Harley? Should I allow them to apply cilajet to my new Harley?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.