Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dyno numbers not a match WTH?  (Read 3478 times)

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
dyno numbers not a match WTH?
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »

My friend bought a 2012 SG CVO,brand new in 2012. He changed the mufflers to V-H slip-ons. That was all that was done. Dealer, that sold him the bike, dyno'ed it an showed him the paperwork and said it came out at 101hp and 112 ft. lb.of torque. Now,two years later,he's added a big sucker air cleaner system wanting to get it to breath better. It didn't seem to run right, after the install, so he took it to another dealer to get it dyno'ed and now its 90 hp at 106 ft.lb. of torque. Lets just say he's not happy with those numbers and for some reason he wants to take it back to the dealer he bought it from and get it done by them. The bike runs perfect. Can anyone here explain the difference in numbers? He's willing to pay to get the numbers where he wants them,I guess.Any help or explanation would be helpful.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: dyno numbers not a match WTH?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »

tons of variables at play, but the first numbers seem way too high for a basically stock bike. The 2nd set of numbers seems about right. Tell your buddy to quit chasing numbers. Check the Air:Fuel Ratio AFR. That's the key to rideability.

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Skunk
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »

Plus adding a big sucker air cleaner should not have changed anything at all.  The breather that comes on a CVO will allow it to take in as much air as it possibly can.  Adding a breather designed to take in more air will not change that until you put it on a motor that can suck in more air. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »

My friend bought a 2012 SG CVO,brand new in 2012. He changed the mufflers to V-H slip-ons. That was all that was done. Dealer, that sold him the bike, dyno'ed it an showed him the paperwork and said it came out at 101hp and 112 ft. lb.of torque. Now,two years later,he's added a big sucker air cleaner system wanting to get it to breath better. It didn't seem to run right, after the install, so he took it to another dealer to get it dyno'ed and now its 90 hp at 106 ft.lb. of torque. Lets just say he's not happy with those numbers and for some reason he wants to take it back to the dealer he bought it from and get it done by them. The bike runs perfect. Can anyone here explain the difference in numbers? He's willing to pay to get the numbers where he wants them,I guess.Any help or explanation would be helpful.
The first problem is that there's no way the bike made the original numbers stock.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »

So are you saying that the dealer was a little liberal with the figures?How could they get those numbers on a dyno sheet?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »

Dyno1 is not an accurate depiction of what the numbers really are they are inflated.  This can be done by over inflating tires, where the tire sits on the drum, placing a fan where it shoots directly into the a/c, pulling the bike at lower temperatures after the oil is hot, playing games with how the clutch is handled.  A myriad of tricks can be played to inflate or detract these numbers.

It also seems as though as Dynojet continues to make changes to their software/algorithm that the numbers seem to be dropping a little each update, which is why some shops won't upgrade to the latest or near latest software/versions.

one dyno could have the latest software and another be older is one reason, model of dyno's can differ as well as manufacturers and type.   Such as Dynojet, Mustang, Superflow, etc.

This is why some vendors use X dynoshop, its not just a dyno tune and a result, it is used as an advertising tool, unfortunately you get sold on X set of numbers only to find out they are inflated.  this isn't a deal killer if your getting a good tune then its just a realization and recommend a verifying pull somewhere else to level set the results and expectations.   Higher numbers  helps sell parts / bragging rights and entice people.   When used as a tool to define how the bike runs and that the a/f is right or in back to back application it can show gains and losses and be comparable.   

In this case you have 1 stealership with a happy dyno and a 2nd shop with an honest dyno based on the numbers provided.   The results of the dyno if no games were played shouldn't be a sole determining factor in how their work is, although it would make one question what version there on, when it was last calibrated, how good the stack is performing on the dyno etc.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:15:26 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »

So are you saying that the dealer was a little liberal with the figures?How could they get those numbers on a dyno sheet?

Very simple.  There are more ways for an unscrupulous operator to falsify the report than any one of us could probably list, from the basic setup and calibration of the dyno to the correction factor used and the temp/humidity/air pressure data used to calculate the correction factors.  There have been documented reports of places over the years that fudged the numbers to show their particular part or tune to be superior to the other guys, as a way to drum up more business.

The numbers he was given by the first dealer are ridiculous for a stock CVO with nothing more than different mufflers.  Legitimate numbers would be more likely to be around 90 hp and 100-105 lb-ft.  Tell your buddy that unless he just wants unrealistic numbers, forget about that first place.  Or if he doesn't care about reality but just wants a nice looking chart to hang on the garage wall and admire and brag about to uninformed buddies, then go ahead and waste some more money at the first place.  No skin off our noses.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:12:06 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »

Thanks for all your imput. I just remembered that they also have a 100 hp  club at this dealer so maybe,unbenounced to me , they send him deals on things because he's a member.Who knows.All I know for sure is he's not happy with those number. I'm not even sure I want to bring it up when I see him.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »

since the bike runs great, he should be happy with what he's got.  plenty of cases where people chase numbers right into the unrideable end of the spectrum.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

since the bike runs great, he should be happy with what he's got.  plenty of cases where people chase numbers right into the unrideable end of the spectrum.....

Amen!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »

Thanks for all your imput. I just remembered that they also have a 100 hp  club at this dealer so maybe,unbenounced to me , they send him deals on things because he's a member.Who knows.All I know for sure is he's not happy with those number. I'm not even sure I want to bring it up when I see him.

He can always just hang the original chart on his wall and brag about that one.  Or if he wants truly higher numbers he can spend a pile of money on performance mods which will then dictate spending more piles of money on improving the already poor reliability of his 110 engine.  There is no free lunch.

Perhaps he should spend some time getting educated about this stuff so he won't be pizzed off when reality doesn't meet his expectations?  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »

The dealer has a 100 hp club?  I think you just provided the answer to your question.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »

The dealer has a 100 hp club?  I think you just provided the answer to your question.
Pretty common ours has one too lol

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.