Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rodgers oil temp gauge vs. HD's  (Read 7046 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Rodgers oil temp gauge vs. HD's
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »

Thank you.   :2vrolijk_21:  I'm not thrilled with the look of the McEwan gauge and its cosmetic differences (I have straightened it since this picture was taken), but I'm not torn up about it either.  More concerned about instrument failure at this point, especially since having run across this thread, and learning of McEwan's demise, and the accompanying lack of end user support.  We'll see what happens with this thing, and if the need arises, I'll simply replace the sending unit and gauge and modify accordingly.   :2vrolijk_21:

I won't go into the details about how the dealer didn't follow my request to install mine according to the "Dead Cat" diagram. But needless to say, mine picks up the temperature after the oil has passed through the cooler. Don't be so quick to change yours out Henry. The HD unit I had added pre-delivery is constantly fogging up. Moisture builds up inside and fogs the lens. This does not happen on the other gauges, only the oil temp. Washing the bike, dramatic (+/- 15⁰) temperature changes, and coastal humidity will all cause it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 02:33:10 AM »

The only problem I have with the McEwan gauge is that it fogs up. Don't know why but every time I go for the first ride of the day the gauge fogs up for about an hour or so. Weather does not matter - does it all the time.

The gauge cosmetic difference is not enough to concern me, but I am considering ordering the HD gauge when our dealer has their 20% night and see how it works with the McEwan sender
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 03:31:57 AM »

The only problem I have with the McEwan gauge is that it fogs up. Don't know why but every time I go for the first ride of the day the gauge fogs up for about an hour or so. Weather does not matter - does it all the time.

The gauge cosmetic difference is not enough to concern me, but I am considering ordering the HD gauge when our dealer has their 20% night and see how it works with the McEwan sender

Duane, I don't remember who.  It's been quite awhile back too.  But someone here wrote about attempting to use the sender packaged with the McEwan gauge with the HD branded gauge after their McEwan gauge had failed.

Searched but could not find it.  Remember whomever it was saying the reported temps changed though.  Whether the sending unit grounds through its own body or through a ground wire is of course irrelevant.  But I'm sure I remember someone reporting that there was some noticable difference in the temps reported without swapping the sending units.  Using the sending unit packaged with the HD gauge made that gauge report the same as the McEwan gauge had when used with it's own sending unit.  But mixing the two didn't keep the numbers consistent. 

At least I think that's what I remember being reported.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:53 AM »

I won't go into the details about how the dealer didn't follow my request to install mine according to the "Dead Cat" diagram. But needless to say, mine picks up the temperature after the oil has passed through the cooler. Don't be so quick to change yours out Henry. The HD unit I had added pre-delivery is constantly fogging up. Moisture builds up inside and fogs the lens. This does not happen on the other gauges, only the oil temp. Washing the bike, dramatic (+/- 15⁰) temperature changes, and coastal humidity will all cause it.

Harley gauges fogging up always makes me chuckle for some reason.  It's a crap shoot which ones do and when they'll start.  The red bike's fuel gauge never had; until last summer.  The... well; some will, some won't.  They do it just to mess with your head.

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »

My McEwan gauge will fog up on initial start and stay that way for about 45 minutes or so.  After all these years, I'm accustomed to gauge fog.  Learned to live with it, I guess.  This gauge is just another chapter in the continuing saga of the Ditch Pickle.  Everything always works out for the better.  We'll see how this one unfolds.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »

Henry doesn't it make you wonder "why" it always fogs up"?

When we were in Gatlinburg for the rally 2 years ago we had record temps 100+ and dry every day, yet the gauge still fogged up every morning. With the gauge lights always on on our bikes you know they should be dry.

Just doesn't make sense

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »

But mixing the two didn't keep the numbers consistent. 

Not a big deal Donny boy. I'll put the gauge in see how it works (or not) and if needed change the sensor at the next relevant oil change. And if it needs to be re-wired a bit -  :nixweiss: won't be like it's the first time

MV 2013

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »

Henry doesn't it make you wonder "why" it always fogs up"?

When we were in Gatlinburg for the rally 2 years ago we had record temps 100+ and dry every day, yet the gauge still fogged up every morning. With the gauge lights always on on our bikes you know they should be dry.

Just doesn't make sense

I think the units are not hermetically sealed, therefore, moisture gets in there and clings to surfaces cooler than the inside of the unit.  Not sure why.  Seems the only solution would be to place unit in a drying chamber for a period of time and then seal every nook and cranny.

I'd rather ride.   :2vrolijk_21:  The fog dissipates shortly anyway.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »

Henry, the spec sheets provided with the HD gauges do not put the sending unit in the pan.  Instead placing it in any of several different locations on different year/model bikes.  None of those locations are as effective or as easy as putting them in the pan.  And that's what many here have done.

The HD spec sheet also has a much busier new harness than is necessary if you're replacing a pre-existing rain gauge.  The new install specifies routing to the fuse panel for power, to the newly installed sending unit and on to the instrument in three legs off the supplied harness.  Humbug. 

At the existing gauge there's already power and ground for instrument and light.  So all that is needed is the signal from the sending unit.  You could take out the single wire sender, put in a two wire sender, use the signal wire and simply add a ground.  Would work just fine.

You'll snip the terminal or socket (whichever it has) off the end of the old signal wire to use the two wire socket matching the new sending unit.  Then just take its ground side to a good ground. 

I did an install of the guage just the other day and the instruction sheet now has them being installed into the pan, It even comes with a reducer bushing. HD finally woke up on this one. The guage part number did not have a new rev though. I will try to remember to post the new install sheet.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »

I did an install of the guage just the other day and the instruction sheet now has them being installed into the pan, It even comes with a reducer bushing. HD finally woke up on this one. The guage part number did not have a new rev though. I will try to remember to post the new install sheet.

That made me laugh.  Thanks for sharing that Jim.  It's either sad or funny that it took the MoCo this long to recognize the obvious and the simple.  So it might as well be funny.

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »

Sorta makes one wonder why it took the MOCO so long to figger out why they put that second bung in the oil pan.   :coolblue:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.