Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Ultra problems  (Read 54496 times)

RetSUBLDO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '13 FLHRSE - sold
    • CVO3: '10 FLHTCUSE - sold
Re: 2014 CVO Ultra problems
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »

Got the following from http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

Boom! Box Audio System Software Update Instructions
1. Verify your audio system’s current software version.
a. Select the following display menu items: “Home/Set-up/System Information/Software Version”.
b. Record the software version.
c. Compare your audio system’s software version with the latest version available on this page.
d. If the software versions are the same, you have the latest software available and there is no need to update. If a higher level software level is available on harley-davidson.com, continue to update your audio system.
NOTE
Do not interrupt the installation process. Leave the vehicle and
radio turned on, and keep the USB flash drive installed until
the installation process is complete.
2. Download the latest software version from harley-davidson.com
a. Select “Download Software Update” for the appropriate audio system.
b. When prompted, save the compressed file to your computer desktop.
c. When the download is complete, copy the file within the zipped folder to the root directory (the first or top most directory in a file system) of a USB flash drive that is 8 GB or larger.
d. Turn your vehicle’s ignition switch to ACCESSORY. (Keyless ignition vehicles: press and hold the trip switch for more than two seconds).
e. Turn on the audio system and connect the USB flash drive to the audio system’s USB port.
f. The audio system will detect the new software available and ask if you want to update. Select “Yes”. The display will prompt you to remove the USB drive when the update is complete.
NOTE
If the incorrect software file for your audio system is copied to the USB flash drive,
and connected to the audio system’s USB port, the following error message will result:
“The ISO image on the attached USB is corrupted or incompatible”.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »

I just took delivery of a 2014 CVO Limited Stardust Silver and Autumn Sunset yesterday.    Only thing is ..... the owners manual was missing.   Dealership is taking care of that for me but, I'd like to update the firmware on the radio.

How did you update the firmware on the Radio ?   I downloaded and extracted the iso file and placed it on a 16 GB flash drive.

I followed the instructions to Turn the Ignition to accessory  ...  then I found out, where's Accessory ?   It's not like my 2010 FLHTK.   So I turned the ignition to the right.  The Radio booted and recognized the flash drive and verified the iso image was ok.  The next prompt was ... are you sure, and please don't disrupt the process.    My only option at that point is NO.  Yes is grayed out.

So the next thing I tried was pressing and holding the trip button for more than 2 seconds.  Radio did the same thing, booted, recognized drive, verified iso and again will not allow me to select YES.   

Any ideas ?

-Tim
 BTW ... I'll post pictures of the bike shortly.

Exactlythe same with me just got the owners manual today and  also tried the radio upgrade with two different thumb drives with the same reults as you.  Dealer says bring it in and they'll try
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »

Exactlythe same with me just got the owners manual today and  also tried the radio upgrade with two different thumb drives with the same reults as you.  Dealer says bring it in and they'll try

Weird.   You didn't receive and Owners Manual at delivery either ?
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

I don't understand why it would overheat, if the cooling fails, shouldn't it simply be an air cooled Vtwin motor again????  :nixweiss:

I would think it would be more like a pot left on the stove with a lid on it on high. :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »

Nope picked mine up 8/30 and unpacked everything to settle in for some reading, but lo and behold no manual!  Got it today!  We quizzed the guys in service thinkin' it had been "borrowed" but no.  Next day a red one was in from the sister shop and it's was missin' also.  Very wierd.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

Got the following from http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

Boom! Box Audio System Software Update Instructions
1. Verify your audio system’s current software version.
a. Select the following display menu items: “Home/Set-up/System Information/Software Version”.
b. Record the software version.
c. Compare your audio system’s software version with the latest version available on this page.
d. If the software versions are the same, you have the latest software available and there is no need to update. If a higher level software level is available on harley-davidson.com, continue to update your audio system.
NOTE
Do not interrupt the installation process. Leave the vehicle and
radio turned on, and keep the USB flash drive installed until
the installation process is complete.
2. Download the latest software version from harley-davidson.com
a. Select “Download Software Update” for the appropriate audio system.
b. When prompted, save the compressed file to your computer desktop.
c. When the download is complete, copy the file within the zipped folder to the root directory (the first or top most directory in a file system) of a USB flash drive that is 8 GB or larger.
d. Turn your vehicle’s ignition switch to ACCESSORY. (Keyless ignition vehicles: press and hold the trip switch for more than two seconds).
e. Turn on the audio system and connect the USB flash drive to the audio system’s USB port.
f. The audio system will detect the new software available and ask if you want to update. Select “Yes”. The display will prompt you to remove the USB drive when the update is complete.
NOTE
If the incorrect software file for your audio system is copied to the USB flash drive,
and connected to the audio system’s USB port, the following error message will result:
“The ISO image on the attached USB is corrupted or incompatible”.

I wonder if the radio upgrades will become part of the bike service package? It really seems to me that the Harley dealers should automatically check to see if upgrades are needed and if they are take care of them. Or will we need to ask for the service and find a big ol add to the service bill? Just wondering

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »

I wonder if the radio upgrades will become part of the bike service package? It really seems to me that the Harley dealers should automatically check to see if upgrades are needed and if they are take care of them. Or will we need to ask for the service and find a big ol add to the service bill? Just wondering
Scott, I wouldn't just ask for updates I would demand it.  The bike should be up to date when delivered.  But the dealerships
cant even run a proper check list of what is included with the bikes.  Glad my dealer gives a thorough check in/out upon delivery.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »

Scott, I wouldn't just ask for updates I would demand it.  The bike should be up to date when delivered.  But the dealerships
cant even run a proper check list of what is included with the bikes.  Glad my dealer gives a thorough check in/out upon delivery.

Good point; they should keep updating the radio during the warrantee period, after all, these are not GPS updates, these are issues Harley has found and created software patches for. That is the silver lining about these high tech radio's, they can be updated without taking anything apart. No different than the way my smart phone makes updates to the operating system.

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Ultra
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

Nope picked mine up 8/30 and unpacked everything to settle in for some reading, but lo and behold no manual!  Got it today!  We quizzed the guys in service thinkin' it had been "borrowed" but no.  Next day a red one was in from the sister shop and it's was missin' also.  Very wierd.
Picked mine up on the 7th and no owners manual ether... dealer said they called on it and would let me know when they received it..

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

Picked mine up on the 7th and no owners manual ether... dealer said they called on it and would let me know when they received it..

Seems like they probably were reprinted to update things that were so new.  I know that even the dealers don't know how the new radio works and the new handlebar switches etc.  When you take to Harley shop for service the updates and recalls etc, are on the tech computer from the mother ship and any firmware updates are done automaticlly, least they were at my shop on the 2010.  This morning I couldn't get an answer as to mounting my motolights and adding a switch to the dash where the three spare slots are.  Found in the manual that the spare aux switch is now inside the left cover not under the seat, but couldn't get any farther than that YET.  With time it'll all get figgered out.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »

When I was out on a group ride last Friday, there were two older CVOs in the group, but my bike was the only one that immediately went into ETIMS mode at stop signs/red lights.  I suspect the reason they were running cooler is because they both have the premium oil coolers, and the new '14s do not.  The water pump is now where the oil cooler used to be on previous models.  Since the ECM reflash later that day, the bike has been performing well.  I did a 200+ mile ride on Saturday with no issues.  Doing another ride today.

Weird. I test rode a 2014 Ultra Limited (non CVO) and there was an oil cooler in the same place it always was. Maybe just a CVO thing?  :nixweiss:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »

Weird. I test rode a 2014 Ultra Limited (non CVO) and there was an oil cooler in the same place it always was. Maybe just a CVO thing?  :nixweiss:

The cover they put over the water pump on the  Ultra Limited does look an awful lot like the cover that is over the oil cooler on the Ultra, makes it hard to distinguish between the two systems.

Still not sure why there is no oil cooler in addition to the liquid cooling - I 'd be just as concerned about keeping the oil temp down as well as the cylinder head and exhaust valve area. However doesn't seem to much room for an oil cooler, even a vertical one mounted to the downtube would be cramped. Perhaps the "oil Bud" system is an option on the '14's
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

Are we sure it isn't both?

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/harleydavidson/ss/Six-Things-You-Should-Know-About-Liquid-Cooled-2014-Harley-Davidsons_2.htm

On the liquid cooled engines, the water pump is where the oil cooler used to be.    There is no oil cooler on liquid cooled bikes.

If you have  a totally air cooled engine (touring), you still have the oil cooler where we are accustomed to it.

Hope this helps.

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »

I figured the upgrade process out. 

With the bike off, attach flash drive (8gb or larger) with iso image in root directory to USB connection on bike.

On the left handlebar, the trip button (black with circular arrows), press and hold the trip button down until the radio powers up.  Release trip button.

Radio will recognize flash drive and verify I so image.  When prompted, select yes and the upgrade will take place.  Takes about 10 minutes.  You will be prompted to remove flash drive when firmware upgrade is complete.

The key to the process is to NOT turn on the bike.   Without the owners manual, I can only assume the trip button doubles as the accessory switch setting.

Tim

2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 24 queries.