Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NIM stopped working.  (Read 3002 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
NIM stopped working.
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »

On the way home from Maggie Valley I realized the radio was no longer getting directional prompts from the GPS.
First thought was the NIM wasn't working correctly.
I discovered that the NIM was fine but the connection had come loose.
It was the connection from the NIM to the "Y" cable.
The NIM cable has a knurled nut that screws onto the stock cable.
When the "Y" cable is introduced the knurled nut isn't used.
This means the plug has less than a 1/16" to make connection.
Vibration caused the connection to came loose.
The solution was to cut the knurled nut off so a full connection could be made.
Done, and everything now works as it should.
The NIM was fine but watch those connections.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: NIM stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »

It is a good idea to not only cut the nut off but to tape all 3 connections on the Y cable. This will prevent any of them from coming loose when on the road.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

It is a good idea to not only cut the nut off but to tape all 3 connections on the Y cable. This will prevent any of them from coming loose when on the road.

Jim

Actually Jim I did have all three connections taped but the one with the (now non existant) nut did come loose.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »

Jim

This is all good to know, as I am getting my NIM replaced with the new version on the 7th.  Mine only talks to me now when it the GPS first starts up, then nothing else.  It was at least talking before, although it also keyed the mic on the headset.  I'm pretty sure my 660 is going bad too...get the chipmunks in it on occasion.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »

This is all good to know, as I am getting my NIM replaced with the new version on the 7th.  Mine only talks to me now when it the GPS first starts up, then nothing else.  It was at least talking before, although it also keyed the mic on the headset.  I'm pretty sure my 660 is going bad too...get the chipmunks in it on occasion.

Mine does the same thing.  Emailed Garmin and they told me to make sure I had the latest software loaded.  I did.  Emailed them again and they gave me a return authorization number.  665 is on the way to Garmin.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »

Mine does the same thing.  Emailed Garmin and they told me to make sure I had the latest software loaded.  I did.  Emailed them again and they gave me a return authorization number.  665 is on the way to Garmin.

I heard that when I was riding it Thursday, but then I forgot to say something to you about it.  Weird chit.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »

Mine does the same thing.  Emailed Garmin and they told me to make sure I had the latest software loaded.  I did.  Emailed them again and they gave me a return authorization number.  665 is on the way to Garmin.

Through reading some stuff, I determined that making sure the firmware/software was updated in the 660 was the first thing Garmin was going to try and say was the problem.  There's a tread here started by Iski about problems with the 660, and it appears that some of the same issues occur in the 665.  In a nutshell, sending the unit back to Garmin results in a hit or miss fix, as they send you a "refurbished" unit that may or may not have the same or different issues than the one you sent them in the first place.  It seems that the consensus of opinions indicate it is better to go to your dealer with the problem and get a NEW unit.  If I'm not mistaken, Iski went through 3 Garmin swaps and finally got a new one from his dealer.  Garmin's customer service/technical department seems to be lacking...seems like they take the one's sent back to them, box them up, and send them back out as "refurbished" without really checking it out.  I'm not surprised by that.  When I get the NIM replaced, I'm going to see if I can get the 660 to repeat the Alvin and the Chipmunk thing...it seems to happen when the unit recalculates, or you do a detour.  Once, while riding way out in BFE Alabama, going down into a canyon, mine emitted this LOUD, EAR PIERCING, steady tone.  I attributed it to my location, but Iski had the same problem.  Mine has not repeated that since.  I could not make it stop with volume control...had to turn the unit off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on.  My half-assed educated guess is that all these issues are related to the pulse that the Roadtech verions of the Garmin 660/665 emits to interrupt the HK output to the speakers/headset, and it's f'd up, in addition to the NIM being an issue if it's not replaced with the new 11A version.  Like RosanneRosannaDanna said..."It's always somethin' "
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 22 queries.