Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Google maps Vs Tyre VS Tour start  (Read 1780 times)

Glenncarp

Google maps Vs Tyre VS Tour start
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »

OK, I am loading my ride on the auto train in Sanford Fl, and heading to Lorton, VA. I then will take Skyline Dr to Blue Ridge parkway all the way to Cherokee NC with stops at A cabin in the Shenandoah  Natl park, then to then to Mt Airy, NC where there is still Mayberry, the town the "Andy Griffith" show was filmed in, then to Lynchburg, TN ( LOVE me some Jack) , then to "the secret city" in Knoxville where most of the "Manhattan project" was built, then to Cherokee and home to Fl.

I LOVE Google Maps, I know, I have posted many times in this form about my love/hate relationship for Google Maps and syncing with the Infotainment system. The reason for my love of Google Maps is the metabolic search options, I dare anyone in HD ride planner, Tourstart or Tyre to search for "Secret city" in any of these programs and find results, aint gonna happen. Soo, I created a ride on Google Maps, then use GPS Visualizer and saved it as a .GPX file and I was able to import the rout into Tourstart with the ride as I planned it EXACTLY, it added 26 waypoints, but I deleted those not at a turn onto a different road and al went well. Tyre did import route, but only as point to point. Didn't try HD ridel planner, thats what i think about that program.

Only issue I found with imported map in Tourstart was that it included a return route to origin, however it was not listed in the waypoints, just shown on the map. I have not tried to import it into the Infotainment system yet, will do so tomorrow and report back. Hope it works as I have a lot of routes to plan!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Google maps Vs Tyre VS Tour start
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »

So when is this trip taking place? The yearly gathering of Road Glides known as Shark Week in next week in Cherokee.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »

So when is this trip taking place? The yearly gathering of Road Glides known as Shark Week in next week in Cherokee.

Sorry, I don't post when I will be away, I don't need the wife shooting anyone trying to break into my home while I am away :D

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »

Sorry, I don't post when I will be away, I don't need the wife shooting anyone trying to break into my home while I am away :D
Understood. I'll toss the dates out there just in case you happen to wander by. It's at the Chestnut Tree Inn with people checking in on the 24th and leaving the 28th, give or take a day either way.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Glenncarp

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

Understood. I'll toss the dates out there just in case you happen to wander by. It's at the Chestnut Tree Inn with people checking in on the 24th and leaving the 28th, give or take a day either way.

Thanks for the invite. May work out depending on weather, routes, etc.

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

OK, I am loading my ride on the auto train in Sanford Fl, and heading to Lorton, VA. I then will take Skyline Dr to Blue Ridge parkway all the way to Cherokee NC with stops at A cabin in the Shenandoah  Natl park, then to then to Mt Airy, NC where there is still Mayberry, the town the "Andy Griffith" show was filmed in, then to Lynchburg, TN ( LOVE me some Jack) , then to "the secret city" in Knoxville where most of the "Manhattan project" was built, then to Cherokee and home to Fl.

I LOVE Google Maps, I know, I have posted many times in this form about my love/hate relationship for Google Maps and syncing with the Infotainment system. The reason for my love of Google Maps is the metabolic search options, I dare anyone in HD ride planner, Tourstart or Tyre to search for "Secret city" in any of these programs and find results, aint gonna happen. Soo, I created a ride on Google Maps, then use GPS Visualizer and saved it as a .GPX file and I was able to import the rout into Tourstart with the ride as I planned it EXACTLY, it added 26 waypoints, but I deleted those not at a turn onto a different road and al went well. Tyre did import route, but only as point to point. Didn't try HD ridel planner, thats what i think about that program.

Only issue I found with imported map in Tourstart was that it included a return route to origin, however it was not listed in the waypoints, just shown on the map. I have not tried to import it into the Infotainment system yet, will do so tomorrow and report back. Hope it works as I have a lot of routes to plan!!!

OK, I forgot about Rever. I luckily got an email from them Friday and remembered I had played around with this previously. So, I was able to plan a route using Google maps, used the GPS visualizer and imported the route into Rever (paid $5.99/month, cancel at any time) to be able to export the GPX file. There are a few options you need to choose when exporting the GPX, Route (full and condensed), Tracks (full and condensed), and route with no directions (full and condensed) don't really see a need for condensed, full lets you add up to 250 waypoints. I tried loading all three into the Infotainment system. both routes were not able to be imported into the Harley, both Tracks were, route with no directions- not able to add to Harley.

Only issue is when you go to find the route ion the infotainment system, it is not under rides, but tracks, not a deal breaker, However, I am not able to preview the route as I am normally. Only options are "navigate to start of track" or "navigate to end of track". I hope when I get to Lorton, the track is correct! Wish I was able to preview it.

I am sharing the rides through Rever with the buddie going with me, that is neat and we can later add photos or videos to the route in Rever.

I also tried importing the converted Google maps GPX into Tyre and Tourstart, both were imported, but had 50+ waypoints that were listed on the ride plan.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »

Glenn I have no idea what you are talking about in this post other than maybe it is difficult to build a map then get it on the Infotainment system? Wife and I intend to do this same trip next year when she retires, be much the same as yours down to starting points as I only live about 45 or so miles from you.
Hope you have a good time on your trip. We have a 70 year old lady friend who has done this same basic trip a couple times by herself and she loves it.
Good Luck.

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Glenn I have no idea what you are talking about in this post other than maybe it is difficult to build a map then get it on the Infotainment system? Wife and I intend to do this same trip next year when she retires, be much the same as yours down to starting points as I only live about 45 or so miles from you.
Hope you have a good time on your trip. We have a 70 year old lady friend who has done this same basic trip a couple times by herself and she loves it.
Good Luck.

What I was saying is that I am forever trying to find a program that can easily create routes that can be imported into the Infotainment system and dies not announce a waypoint every 4 miles. Think I found it using Rever but want to be able to import a "route" not a "track". There is a difference. I sent email to Rever support, ill post if they reply.

Now, on Trip, fist night will be at Big Meadow lodge in Shanadoah, then to My. Airy, NC, where Mayberry for the Andy Griffith show was filled, town still there, then to "the secret city" outside of Knoxvile, most of the atomic bomb was built there, then to.Johnson City, TN for day hike on AT, ride the Dragon next day and home.

I'm getting excited!!

Thanks for the wishes

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »

I enjoy using Tyre online.  It's free and I can share the routes with other using the website or download the GPX file to email or send through the Book of Faces to load onto the Infotainment system.

Tyre does add multiple extra waypoints but that keeps us on our selected route with a bunch of rerouting.  To know how far it is to the next main destination I load them all in Waze on my phone and use it for traffic alerts, constructions alerts, and police warnings.  Between the two systems we have a good working solution.
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.