Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The 15 CVO Street Glide, water cooled heads kind of scare me....  (Read 3603 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
The 15 CVO Street Glide, water cooled heads kind of scare me....
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »

I have an opportunity to pick up a 15 CVO Street Glide, but the water cooled heads kind of scare me a little after hearing all of the problems on last years water cooled bikes.  Do you guys think they got it all sorted out now?  If I plop $36k on a bike and it has tons of liquid cooling problems, I'd be pissed!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: The 15 CVO Street Glide, water cooled heads kind of scare me....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »

I have an opportunity to pick up a 15 CVO Street Glide, but the water cooled heads kind of scare me a little after hearing all of the problems on last years water cooled bikes.  Do you guys think they got it all sorted out now?  If I plop $36k on a bike and it has tons of liquid cooling problems, I'd be pissed!

We really haven't been hearing a lot of ongoing issues with the bikes built the second half of the 2014 model year, and fortunately this doesn't appear to be the typical Harley six or seven year cycle to fix the design defects sort of thing.  Ultimately , IMHO, the water cooled heads are a plus, not a minus, at least until they finally do a full water cooled design.

Also IMHO, it would have been better if they had just done a traditional radiator rather than try to hide them in the lowers, since that now locks you into keeping the lowers on all the time.  If that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for the 2015 if that's what you want.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »

The lifters and compensator don't scare you?  Valve guides?

lol

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

You won't have it long enough to worry about it. Just buy it

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »

The lifters and compensator don't scare you?  Valve guides?

lol

Tell me more...
I thought that was earlier 110"s

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »

You won't have it long enough to worry about it. Just buy it

;D  I see you know Nicky.  Yes, buying a new one every year does seem to help the reliability issues, and I assume that's why Harley doesn't normally bust azz to quickly fix the big issues.  They've made a killing over the years on the folks who keep buying new ones every year or two.  Unfortunately for those people, the new normal on the depreciation side of the equation kind of makes all that constant trading more painful.  To each his own, as they say.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »

;D  I see you know Nicky.  Yes, buying a new one every year does seem to help the reliability issues, and I assume that's why Harley doesn't normally bust azz to quickly fix the big issues.  They've made a killing over the years on the folks who keep buying new ones every year or two.  Unfortunately for those people, the new normal on the depreciation side of the equation kind of makes all that constant trading more painful.  To each his own, as they say.

Jerry
Yes. I'd be more worried about depreciation then engine trouble in that situation.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »

I want a bike to hang on to.  I've been dumb in the aspect of "ohhhhhh look, the new one"! 

This bike is a lot of money, but, if it's the right one....the it's worth it.  Either way, I haven't had a bike for 6 months and I really do miss it...even if I don't get out much.  I went and looked at the CVO Road King and it was okay, but I did not lust after it, so I didn't jump. This bike is coming in next week and I want to see if it I HAVE TO have it.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »

Mine is 10 months old with 8k miles on it and I have had zero issues with twin cool.  They did the service bulletin for the water neck right after I got it just to make sure I didn't have issues.  I'm not nearly as concerned about the twin cool system as I am the infotainment system that doesn't come on at all sometimes when you start the bike. It sucks when you have your route in the GPS and nothing comes on after a quick gas stop.  :soapbox: 

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »

I was one of those guys that purchased '14 water head Limited when they first came out, and it did piss out its fluids 5 times. First one was after the 12 mile ride into my garage the day I picked it up. Anyway, the problem got resolved rather quickly for new technology and all was good for the 14K miles. But when I picked up my RGU last week, it was still in the back of my mind when riding home. It was a relief when I pulled into the garage and the fans came on.  :orange:

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• Wichitagreg
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

Tell me more...
I thought that was earlier 110"s

Still an issue after 10k miles or so.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
AKA r0de_runr

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »

Bah, I bought the extended warranty and I'm not worried one bit,  pay it forward and don't sweat it
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• Wichitagreg
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »

Bah, I bought the extended warranty and I'm not worried one bit,  pay it forward and don't sweat it

That's okay as long as you leave it stock.  But a cam and a tune make it so much more fun to ride.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
AKA r0de_runr

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.