Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Narrowing the gap between CVO and production; Or good news for CVOs?  (Read 4073 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One

With the rumors of equipping new CVOs with the forthcoming 120 ST, I thought this article was interesting.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-harley-davidson-2016-lineup-20150821-story.html?ref=yfp

At best, maybe it's a sign that they will upgrade.  At worst, it's just another example of how CVOs are no longer that "special".

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

mgallagher

Re: Narrowing the gap between CVO and production; Or good news for CVOs?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:27:14 AM »

The next CVO will be a 116 CI not a 120 . it will be a late intro. The 120 is just to much of a 110 with quality parts. A company that has cam problems to save 50 cents on a bearing will not use quality parts on any bike not even a CVO. The new motor will have variable cam timing and maybe even direct injection 11.5 compression. All of the changes will be for EPA and carb.  The motor will not pass Carb testing yet and will be dalayed maybe a early 2017

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

Either you know something we don't, but I sure hope your correct! I never really understood this 120 cu/in thing. Harley needs to move forward with something NEW!!!
The "TAZMUN"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »

Just adding more cubic inches isn't a viable answer.  The 110 is already beyond the original Twin Cam design limits, and just punching it out even more to win a cubic inch war with the competition isn't going to be a good thing for the consumers, especially with Harley's penchant for ever cheaper parts and processes already killing reliability at the current  size.

As for the rumor of direct injection, high compression, variable cam timing, etc., I'll believe it only if someone other than H-D actually designs and builds it.  H-D doesn't have the talent to pull it off; they haven't even been able to copy the stuff that the auto industry has had for decades without creating huge problems for the consumers.  And I seriously doubt they would spend the money for a top notch engine filled with that kind of technology, if they won't even spend fifty cents for better bearings in the current design.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »

The next CVO will be a 116 CI not a 120. [Citation Needed]

it will be a late intro. [Citation Needed]

The 120 is just too much of a 110 with quality parts. [?]

The new motor will have variable cam timing [Citation Needed]

maybe even direct injection 11.5 compression. [Citation Needed]

The motor will not pass Carb testing yet and will be delayed maybe a early 2017 [Citation Needed]

:bs flag:

A lot of declarative statements presented as statements of fact.
I believe this is just your wish list.
I'd be interested to see (any) back up for any of your claims?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:19:06 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »

Just adding more cubic inches isn't a viable answer.  The 110 is already beyond the original Twin Cam design limits, and just punching it out even more to win a cubic inch war with the competition isn't going to be a good thing for the consumers, especially with Harley's penchant for ever cheaper parts and processes already killing reliability at the current  size.

As for the rumor of direct injection, high compression, variable cam timing, etc., I'll believe it only if someone other than H-D actually designs and builds it.  H-D doesn't have the talent to pull it off; they haven't even been able to copy the stuff that the auto industry has had for decades without creating huge problems for the consumers.  And I seriously doubt they would spend the money for a top notch engine filled with that kind of technology, if they won't even spend fifty cents for better bearings in the current design.

Jerry
I agree with your second paragraph.  H-D has gone "All In" on the low-cost parts sourcing (China) along with cheap labor (temps/ casuals).  So we got junk parts assembled by people that don't care because they aren't employees of the company and can be dumped at any time.  What a business model!  We are seeing the result.  The CVO moniker is becoming meaning less.  Just a way of ripping off the consumer.  Not this guy.  I'm keeping my '10 FLSTSE.  If they don't have the talent to design a powerplant with the latest technology then all they can do is just punch out the current mill.  Or go back to a single cam motor???

Taterhawk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic EG Screaming Eagle
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »

Jerry

I was wondering, I know I have the 2006 Ultra CVO with the 103 cubic inch.  I understand people wanting bigger cubic inches to brag about this and hp that, but my bike flys!! I can barely hold on when I get on it.. I tell yo what Id rather sacrifice cubic inches for reliability.

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »

:bs flag:

A lot of declarative statements presented as statements of fact.
I believe this is just your wish list.
I'd be interested to see (any) back up for any of your claims?

X2
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »

So the new "Street" line is credited with the companies latest success??? Bull Excreta!! I wonder how many they have sold?

I am less and less inclined to buy any more Harleys. My next bike will be a Cheiftain for the wife. CVO is nice and all but if I buy another I'd rather spend the extra $15k for one off paint and real motor work and i am over the everything has to be chromed thing.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »

Where are all of these "street" models.  I am out riding all the time and frequent the bike nights and I never see them.  Are they all broke down??

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »

Where are all of these "street" models.  I am out riding all the time and frequent the bike nights and I never see them.  Are they all broke down??

Go visit a stealer... You just MIGHT find a few (or a LOT) sitting on the floor. Or maybe they still have them in the back in their shipping crates...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.