Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Aluma MC10 STOCK wheel chock location  (Read 7391 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Aluma MC10 STOCK wheel chock location
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »

For those of you that have these trailers and use the STOCK wheel chock that came with it. How far back did you mount it? I looked it Chip's thread about strapping down a dresser but he has a different chock than what came with the trailer.

Thanks.
OBB
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
Re: Aluma MC10 STOCK wheel chock location
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »

Sorry can't help, but thought you might want to consider a condor chock before you get to far along with the one you have. I have them on our trailer and they work like a champ. Sorry for the threadjack Mike.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »

Location of the chock/stop is normally set using tongue weight, you shift the bike back and forth until correct tonque weight it achieved. You need weight of the trailer and weight of the bike to do this correctly. I personally use 10% of total towed weight as tongue weight. If you do not know weight of your trailer or bike, manufacturer can supply this info for you.
Placement is not something you can get from someone with a similiar trailer unless they have the same bike and actually went to the trouble of setting it correctly.
GO to the trouble, it is worth it.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »

Location of the chock/stop is normally set using tongue weight, you shift the bike back and forth until correct tonque weight it achieved. You need weight of the trailer and weight of the bike to do this correctly. I personally use 10% of total towed weight as tongue weight. If you do not know weight of your trailer or bike, manufacturer can supply this info for you.
Placement is not something you can get from someone with a similiar trailer unless they have the same bike and actually went to the trouble of setting it correctly.
GO to the trouble, it is worth it.
Good info Don. Appreciate it.  :2vrolijk_21:

Bike is 1000# fully fueled and with whatever the wife has tossed in it. Trailer is another 500#. So I need 150# tongue weight if my math is correct. How can I go about taking a reading so to speak to figure out my tongue weight?  Only thing I can come up with is to take the bathroom scale outside and slide it under the wheel jack. :nixweiss:

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »

My stock chock came mounted 24" from the flat of "V" to the point on the top of the cross
bar between the uprights. I was told +/- 1". I took mine off and mounted my removable Condor.

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:10:03 AM »

I measured Chip's and his is 28/29" from the "V" flat to the V of his chock, mine is 25" to the flat of my Condor. I have no tongue weight issues, or any trailer wobble with my set at 25" on my MC10.

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

Run it all the way up to the front, that Avalanche won't even flinch with 1500 pounds of tongue weight!  :P Seriously though, a bathroom scale works fine. If the weight exceeds the scale rating you can make up a board and pipe setup like this to make the scale read 1/2 or less of actual load by lengthening the board.http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html . We have used that method on many new boat/trailer combos. You would be surprised how far off some new packages are direct from the manufacturer. On a light load like yours it is not critical but you should be somewhere in the 150-200 pound range. On a buddies boat he had over 2000 pounds of tongue weight for a 10,000 pound load and couldn't figure out why the tow vehicle swayed wildly over 50 MPH.
T-MAN 117 kit

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:14:56 PM »

A metal bath room scale works great, cheapo from Dollar Store is what I use, had same one for 25 years and alot of boat/bike trailers been set with it. Comment above is correct the Avalanche won't mind the tongue weight, I tow currently with a Denali myself, but trailer will handle correctly which is what you want. No sway, will track straighter, just a better more comfortable way to achieve the "can't tell it's back there" feeling.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »

Run it all the way up to the front, that Avalanche won't even flinch with 1500 pounds of tongue weight!  :P Seriously though, a bathroom scale works fine. If the weight exceeds the scale rating you can make up a board and pipe setup like this to make the scale read 1/2 or less of actual load by lengthening the board.http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html . We have used that method on many new boat/trailer combos. You would be surprised how far off some new packages are direct from the manufacturer. On a light load like yours it is not critical but you should be somewhere in the 150-200 pound range. On a buddies boat he had over 2000 pounds of tongue weight for a 10,000 pound load and couldn't figure out why the tow vehicle swayed wildly over 50 MPH.

A metal bath room scale works great, cheapo from Dollar Store is what I use, had same one for 25 years and alot of boat/bike trailers been set with it. Comment above is correct the Avalanche won't mind the tongue weight, I tow currently with a Denali myself, but trailer will handle correctly which is what you want. No sway, will track straighter, just a better more comfortable way to achieve the "can't tell it's back there" feeling.

Thanks guys. I'll pick up a cheap one tomorrow then. I'm guessing that with the trailer jack wheel hitting the ground about 8" behind the actual cup for the ball, I can get it close to the optical weight if I hit the scale there about 140#. Either that or I take a piece of 4x4, weigh it and then use that right at the cup and onto the scale to get it dialed in just right. I did order a Wheeldock Chock for it. Just something about doing more digging in the boards and the comments about upgrading the chock for better piece of mind.

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »

Indianapolis craigs list now has a aluma single bike trailer with some accessories $900.oo 8-29-15 don't mean to thread jack.
Mike you saw what I did to our trailer at MV, I did a lot of reaserch and concur with these guys 10-15 % of the trailers gross weight on the tounge,easy to do at a truck stop with scale too.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »

Indianapolis craigs list now has a aluma single bike trailer with some accessories $900.oo 8-29-15 don't mean to thread jack.
Mike you saw what I did to our trailer at MV, I did a lot of reaserch and concur with these guys 10-15 % of the trailers gross weight on the tounge,easy to do at a truck stop with scale too.
Hell, every time I looked on CL or ebay for one, there weren't any. Now two days later.... UGH. Would have been worth the drive to save the money if the trailer is in good shape.

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »

Hell, every time I looked on CL or ebay for one, there weren't any. Now two days later.... UGH. Would have been worth the drive to save the money if the trailer is in good shape.
looked ok in the pic but I didn't look close or inquire, with me it happens that way too.  :nixweiss:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »

Just ride the bike to MV, problem solved. At least temporarily.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 06:21:12 AM »

Just ride the bike to MV, problem solved. At least temporarily.
Kinda hard to pack up the stuff for the wife's service pup plus all our stuff on the bike.

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »

Put the lil doggie stuff on the aluma and pull it with the bike  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:52:00 PM by DaBigNuttedMan »
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.