Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: FLSTSE3 Saddlebag falling off  (Read 13442 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: FLSTSE3 Saddlebag falling off
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »

The mounting method Harley chose isn't terribly robust, and there is obviously some variability as well.  Some folks have had issues, some have not.  The folks who haven't had issues tend to disbelieve those who have, claiming if the bags are installed correctly they won't fall off.  The folks who have had bags fall off, some more than once, proclaim they did indeed make certain the bags were properly mounted and double checked them after the first mishap.  What all of this tells me is that the mounting system design and execution are very poor.  This stuff should be foolproof, and not dependent on someone being ultra-diligent when installing the bags.  I won't even go into how many people with these things have resorted to zip ties to insure the bags stay attached to the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »

Does anyone have pictures of how you've used ties to insure the bags don't come off?

I've been fortunate to not have it happen (unlike some of you), but now you've got me thinking that you can't be too safe.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »

Here's a link to one thread that talks about the zip ties.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68930.msg1043645#msg1043645

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »

Jerry,
Thanks for sending me the link. I just read it. Clearly has been a big issue.
Zip ties here I come.....can't be too careful. Never say never.
JQ

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 02:00:42 AM »

Hey out there,
I just thought of something. I have a right side saddlebag that fell off and has the leather torn up. Does anyone have a left one that is beat up from falling off. Maybe they can be redone together some how with a matching finish.

lunker

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • CO

• CVO1: 2007 Road King - FLHRSE3 - Gone
    • CVO2: 2013 Road King Anny - FLHRSE4
    • CVO3: 2013 Convertible - FLSTSE3 (Wife's Ride)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »

I have a left bag that hit the pavement.  Insurance paid for a new one but it does not even come close to matching the undamaged right side bag in color (much darker of course).  I looked into dying the leather but was told that it would not work.  So, I am trying to get the insurance company to pay for a new right one as well - but was denied initially.  My options will then be to either buy a new right to match the new left or find a used undamaged left and send the new one back.  Maybe set the new one in the sun and fade it out?  What a PITA....

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

Hey Lunker,
One day when I get some free time I will go to a leather place around here to see what it would cost to have both your and my pavement beatened saddlebags releathered together so that they match. To see if it would be cost effective to do so. I will let you know what it will cost. Or maybe even painted although I do not know what type of finish is beneath the leather.

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »

They are not leather they are plastic leather look a alike

lunker

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • CO

• CVO1: 2007 Road King - FLHRSE3 - Gone
    • CVO2: 2013 Road King Anny - FLHRSE4
    • CVO3: 2013 Convertible - FLSTSE3 (Wife's Ride)
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »

The saddlebags are indeed plastic but are covered in leather.  After one fell off my wife's 2012 (brown distressed leather covered bags) the new replacement bag was much darker as the other leather had faded.  I had very good success using Fiebings leather dye to darken the other bag, seat and pillion.  Followed up with a couple of treatments of Lexol leather care and they look as good as new and all match.   From now on we will make sure that the mounting is correct, lock is in the correct position and use zip-ties for added insurance - once is enough!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

I have to agree, if you are selling to the masses then the system for mounting must be foolproof.   Shame on MOCO again.   I do know if GM had hardtops or t-tops flying off there would be a federal investigation.

Found 4 on eBay,  all used in different stages of damage.

Good luck to those that have them fall off. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=harley+cvo+convertible+saddle+bag&_from=R40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xharley+cvo+convertible+saddle+bag+oem.TRS1&_nkw=harley+cvo+convertible+saddle+bag+oem&_sacat=0
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »

The black ones are definitely man made leather, as mine fell off and got scuffed and ripped.

Old Spice

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »

I know that this is a dead horse but I'm whipping it anyway. Have to add my two cents. Shortly after purchasing my '12 Convert. I removed the bags to clean the rear rim. I was careful when I put them back on to make sure I heard the "click". Then off I went to dry the bike off. Cranked it up on the back roads and as I hit a big bump I heard a horrible noise. Yes, it was my right saddlebag! Found it in the ditch and was able to get it back on the bike and it has some definite road rash. I was so angry....my "new" bike already had ugly places on it. Since I am a woman rider I sure do not want people thinking that I had laid my beautiful bike down. I was ready to go toe to toe with HD. My brother came over the next day and I was showing him the damage and also illustrating to him how I had been careful to listen for the "click". We both heard the click and I went to show him where the pin engaged into the mounts....Oh no!....Not engaged!!! I jiggled the bag a little and "click" it fully engaged. A very humbling moment. That was about 1 1/2 years ago and I have had the bags off several times with no issues. I am crazy diligent now about looking to check that the pin is fully engaged. If I have an oil change and the dealership washed my bike I check even if they say they did not remove them. No more problems....well I still make sure that everyone knows that the bag fell off the bike and that I didn't lay the bike down.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:31 PM »

just testing  the waters here .... I would sell my oem  2010 bags  since I did the custom hard bag change over  if any body is in need of them  ?
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »

As I have owned a 2010, 2011, and 2012 models, I seem to remember that the 2010 model had the best attachment method.  The front end of the bar that attaches to the bike had a "loop" in the end that fits over a post and slides backward (the same direction the wind will blow it and other "Newton" forces will act upon it as you are going down the road.  That seemed to work very well.  For the next 2 years they cut that "loop" in half and now there is only a ''C" that pushes forward.  I do not and will never understand why MoCo digressed on this issue.  It is all mechanical, this mounting method for our saddlebags, and it is so important to thoroughly understand how the mounting system works.  It is not "magic"; it is mechanical.  If the locking mechanism doesn't function properly, get it replaced with one that performs that function correctly.  People treat their bikes differently at any given time.  I don't know anybody who "always" does this or "Never" does that.  We are just people and we ride bikes that can be unforgiving if we don't check every one of about 2,000 parts/pieces EVERY time before I ride.  I don't take the time to do all those checks every time.  I have no doubts there will be plenty of people to point out to me my failures if or when I have an incident.  If it makes someone feel better adding zip-ties to their saddlebag mounts, have at it.  If you are confident that your equipment performs as designed (AND you check that it is assembled as designed) then ride in confidence.  I am not going to resort to zip-ties as long as I am convinced that those 2 locking points at the top of my saddlebags are attached correctly.  That is what all that saddlebag is really depending on.   Where the 2010 model had a "locking, so to speak" point at the front of the bar, these 2012 and 2011 models only have a slot.  If it isn't in the slot, it probably isn't lined up at the top of the bag either.  Not the very best design I'll agree.  Something else to consider is how much weight do you put in your saddlebag?  seems like the limit is 10 lbs.  How many people put 50 lbs in there?  Another question that will lead to more questions.      Pork

Old Spice

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Porky, I am with you about the zip ties. I am not a fanatic about checking the saddle bags. I only check them if I have had them off or if I suspect someone else might have (mechanic). Only then am I very sure that all is good. It was a horrible feeling finding my saddle bag in a ditch with big scuffs on it but hey the bag still functions and I am more careful now. It's all good! As far as how many lbs. I typically put in them...HA! I am a woman...I put as much as I can cram into them! Honestly, normally I have leathers, my tuner, a quart of oil, and a few bungees in one and a small tool pouch, rain gear, a long sleeve shirt, and a brush in the other. That leaves quite a bit of room for things I might pick up along the way and I am ready for most things that might come up. I have not weighed all that but I would say that unless you try to fit your tool box into these, it would be hard to overweight them. They just aren't that big. Guys this isn't a challenge though...I know someone out there can find a way to prove me wrong!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.