Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stock exhaust baffles  (Read 2525 times)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
stock exhaust baffles
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »

lookin to change out baffles (possibly fullsac). how hard is it todrive out stock ones without bending or denting ends. goin to use dremmel to grind out welds. anyone tried this yet on secu2012
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

RoadRunnr

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Re: stock exhaust baffles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »

still a little confused on where to cut after reading all posts. I see a tack weld, then a vertical plate, & the inner baffle  or core. do you set the dremmel inside the inner most piece. sent a pm to ultra rider, but no response yet. just got onto site. still tryin to figure how to get into responding on post. thanks with any help. these ideas sound like what i'm lookin for

Cvo dude

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »

If you are trying to remove the whole baffle the two welds that need to be removed are only about 2" inside the can itself. Very easy just take your time and don't grind to deep as to go through the outside of the muffler itself. When it looks as if they are ground down close tap baffle backwards to break lose then remove any extra weld then drive out from backside. Finished mine in about 10 min. A side. Went with the Fullsac 2" cores the dx pipe and tts very good products and great customer service.
2012 flhtcuse7 Fullsac dx pipe 2" baffles ,Tts master tuner

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »

probably goin to just do the plug first. one step at a time does anyone know the size disc to use on the plug removal. I saw post on 1 3/8 for ultra limited, but nothing on size for 2012seuc

waynel

• Hippie
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2014 Electra Glide Limited
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

This looks harder than it really is. Just carefully gring the tack weld down until it looks like it is through. tap the baffel inwards to break the weld. Clean the weld up so you have a smooth surface and push the baffel back twards the big opening. Try to keep the insulation in tackt.

Blue Tank

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »

Ground out cores on my stock mufflers 2012CVORG 2 weeks ago at my desk at work. Followed instructions found on this site and it went very easily. Used basic grinding wheels for dremel and doubled them up. They broke every time went through steel. Went and got reinforced wheel and finihed job using approximately 5 wheels. I was about .5 to .75 inch inside the smallest opening and once got through side just followed it around until core fell to floor.

hdff

• Iron Butt #54101
  • Full CVO Member
  • Ride hard or go home.........

• CVO1: 2012 flhtcuse7
    • CVO2: 1992 FXSTC
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

This looks harder than it really is. Just carefully gring the tack weld down until it looks like it is through. tap the baffel inwards to break the weld. Clean the weld up so you have a smooth surface and push the baffel back twards the big opening. Try to keep the insulation in tackt.

I agree. I used a air driven pencil grinder similar to a dremel to grind the 2 small welds down near smooth then stuck a broom stick in the inlet end and with a slight tap out came the baffle . I had both done in about 15 minutes. Remove the end caps before you start. Not hard at all. I put fullsac baffles in without the packing and really like the sound, louder but not to loud. I pull a trailer sometimes and didn't want it to loud, I had 3.5 rhinehart s on a 2011 ultra and that was to loud with the trailer.  I also put on a Fuelmoto catless head pipe. It uses stock heat shields for a stock look, what I wanted.
:fireman::fireman:
2012 FLHTCUSE7  "Flossie"

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »

HOGMIKE

mark

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »

FYI - the longer the baffles have been in the muffler body, the harder it will be to beat them out.  On mine, rust had formed and bonded the baffle to the muffler body.  My bike was about a yr old when I did mine.  You may have to beat the heck out of the baffle to get it to break loose.  If your bike is fairly new, the baffles will probably pop out with a few love taps.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »

hey guys, I just ground out the plugs on my 2012seuc. I went to harbor freight & bought a 5 pac of diamond disc for 4.99. It took me about an hour on each muffler. Dremmel would get hot & didn't want to burn it up. Had a hard time at first determining where to cut. Then,(after starting to cut the baffle) realized that I needed to cut in the smallest opening. Glad I caught myself before cuttin the baffle out. That was my fault for not payin closer attention to pics. Put every thing back. Dealership had previously removed cat, changed out header pipe, & se tuner. Sounds good (maybe a little flutter to it,)so far. Haven't been able to ride yet. Hard to tell with sound in garage. But I got $4.99 & 2hours in it. Like the comments have said. If youdon't like this option, then you can spend the $$$. By the way, I sat in a chair, stood muffler on intake end & just kept spinning the muffler round & round. this made for a nice clean & even cut. had a hard time with reinforced wheels, kept breaking out at center hole, tellin me they were too tight. Hey! a lil adversity, but it is all good. thanks for the post. Great comments. Like the website & the people. no bashin each other. THANKS HAIRD

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 26 queries.