Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wood performance yay or nay  (Read 8255 times)

seven

wood performance yay or nay
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »

I'm a new guy to the world of Harley Davidson and tryin to figure out who makes good aftermarket and who is just blowin smoke. I'm thinkinn this winter I want to do some motor work. I want to keep everything looking as stock as possible and I was thinkin of sending in my carb to Bobby Wood. In the process of lookin up all that info I was lookin at his cams and valve springs, so the question is is his stuff as good as he says. I figured what better place to ask than here. Appreciate all the input.                     SEVEN
SEVEN

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: wood performance yay or nay
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »

I'm a new guy to the world of Harley Davidson and tryin to figure out who makes good aftermarket and who is just blowin smoke. I'm thinkinn this winter I want to do some motor work. I want to keep everything looking as stock as possible and I was thinkin of sending in my carb to Bobby Wood. In the process of lookin up all that info I was lookin at his cams and valve springs, so the question is is his stuff as good as he says. I figured what better place to ask than here. Appreciate all the input.                     SEVEN

In a word YES! his stuff is good and he does top notch work. How far are you looking to take the motor and what mods are you considering?

seven

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:32:01 AM »

I've got a set of screamin eagle heads sittin at home already. I'd like to get a crane hi 4 ignition and coil, carb work, cam, and maybe a little head work done to the new heads (maybe, I dont know if they need to have anything done other than springs for the cam) maybe try n get a bit more compression past the 9.5-1. I'd be tickled pink to see about 90 hp out of it, but that also depends on finances at this point if I do it all at once. Right now the bike is stock other than Vance and Hines pipes and screamin eagle a/c, as far as I know.
SEVEN

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »

hd-dude is a pro so it's good you've gotten his attention.

Me, I'd say that Woods cams are certainly good, as are numerous others.  There are a whole bunch of Evo cams out there so decide what you've got in mind for your motor as a final product, what your riding style is, and shop for a cam that fits both.  I put SE heads on mine and a Andrews EV27 cam along with SE ignition and have been happy.  I'm not claiming that's the perfect combination, just that it suits me.

About carburetors, I just re-jetted my stock CV and it works fine.  I know that some swear that Miikuni carbs are a must but the tech doing my work talked me out of buying one saying that I'd probably never appreciate the small difference.  I've heard that the CV carbs will be OK up to about 100HP so if you're really looking for 90HP in the end, you may find a Mikuni justifiable.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

Do you know what part number the heads you have are? The SE heads were pretty good out of the box, but like anything they can be made better. Depending on the heads and if your going to rework them I would choose the cam from there. A single fire adjustable ignition system is a must, the HI-4 or the Dyna-S are both good. (I personally like the Dyna better). Cams to look at besides the Wood are the Comp Cams. They run very well and have less aggressive ramps so they run quieter than the Wood. Pick up a Mikuni or S&S E carb and be done with it. The Mik's are a bit crisper through the RPM range but the S&S will be a bit better on top.

Your goal of 90 HP is certainly achievable from a well built reliable Evo. 8)

seven

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »

I don't know what part number the heads are, bought them on ebay. Is there a number or something on them that would tell me what they are? If so I could find out and let you know. I'm glad all you guys are so helpful on this site to a guy that has always been around 2 stroke motors and don't know alot about 4 stroke engines, maybe someday I won't be quite so skittish about diving into my harley like I was with my atv.
SEVEN

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »

Too early for me to tell, but Bob Wood's 408Gs are going in my motor.  I rode my builder's bike with 408Gs, and was really impressed. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »

Too early for me to tell, but Bob Wood's 408Gs are going in my motor.  I rode my builder's bike with 408Gs, and was really impressed. 

The 408G is a great torque cam, pulls hard from the get go and as long as you keep the wick twisted. I recently used them in a couple of 106 builds that dialed in at 120 hp and 125 ft lbs of torque.

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:09:32 AM »

The 408G is a great torque cam, pulls hard from the get go and as long as you keep the wick twisted. I recently used them in a couple of 106 builds that dialed in at 120 hp and 125 ft lbs of torque.

That's what I felt, and if cid makes any difference, it appears I'll have plenty of management reserve.  Torque ROCKS!

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »

After spending roughly and hour listening to and learning from Bob Wood yesterday afternoon as he and Rod were discussing the particulars of my motorcycle, I don't think I've ever felt more confident in the decisions that were made.  The man knows his stuff.  He's earned my respect and trust.   :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

I've got a set of screamin eagle heads sittin at home already. I'd like to get a crane hi 4 ignition and coil, carb work, cam, and maybe a little head work done to the new heads (maybe, I dont know if they need to have anything done other than springs for the cam) maybe try n get a bit more compression past the 9.5-1. I'd be tickled pink to see about 90 hp out of it, but that also depends on finances at this point if I do it all at once. Right now the bike is stock other than Vance and Hines pipes and screamin eagle a/c, as far as I know.

Wood 8 cam @ 10.8:1
Good heads
Cv carb
Slip-on mufflers
Crane ignition
90 hp/90 ft lbs
Absolute walk in the park
BTW, fuel economy will be fantastic as well.

cvorider

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

I'm running a Woods w8 in my fxr2..Here is a list of parts..

Heads are ported and have higher flowing valves,but with stock diameter.
10:25 pistons
W8 cam
Dyna Ignition
S&S E carb
Hooker Stepped Tuned Pipes

Bike made 92 hp and 88 ft lbs of torque..Also the thing has a wicked sounding idle, you will definately know it's not stock..

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.