Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics  (Read 61315 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG-Some Progress Pics
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »

Lookin good Howie!  Another fun project!  Good luck with it!   :2vrolijk_21:

Scott

Thanks Scott. This one will be fun. No pressure on us for this build. Just build the perfect street bike! :nixweiss: :D

It's pretty much been planned out and was to start when Cybil got finished. Now it's a matter of mocking everything up and see how much stays or goes. Then I'll decide on whether to repowdercoat the frame and get a new harness. After that, we can assemble everything. I'm not expecting this to go past the end of April or so. But you know how schedules go! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »

Thanks Scott. This one will be fun. No pressure on us for this build. Just build the perfect street bike! :nixweiss: :D

It's pretty much been planned out and was to start when Cybil got finished. Now it's a matter of mocking everything up and see how much stays or goes. Then I'll decide on whether to repowdercoat the frame and get a new harness. After that, we can assemble everything. I'm not expecting this to go past the end of April or so. But you know how schedules go! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)

Top of the rear cylinder looks TIGHT.  Rear of the front cylinder as well.  But not as close as the rear.  You think the rocker box would ever come off with the motor in the frame?

Looks like a fun project Howie.  That much push in that little bike it'll be a blast to ride too.  Have fun with it man.  Will look forward to the updates.

Oh, by the way, if the nearly 25 year old harness isn't just absolutely pristine and never been hacked on and won't need to be hacked on just get a new one.  As far in to this project as you are now don't invite Gremlins.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »

Top of the rear cylinder looks TIGHT.  Rear of the front cylinder as well.  But not as close as the rear.  You think the rocker box would ever come off with the motor in the frame?

Looks like a fun project Howie.  That much push in that little bike it'll be a blast to ride too.  Have fun with it man.  Will look forward to the updates.

Oh, by the way, if the nearly 25 year old harness isn't just absolutely pristine and never been hacked on and won't need to be hacked on just get a new one.  As far in to this project as you are now don't invite Gremlins.

Thanks Don. Everything's a little tight in there. You should see how much of the trans case/inner primary he removed from around the left side of the swingarm to get it to fit. Doesn't need much clearance as the solid-mounted motor doesn't shake around in there like a rubber-mount. The Rev Tech Rocker Boxes are a different shape, and might be easier to remove. But you're right, I'm not sure about removing the rear one yet. I'll mention it to Vern. Either way, not much choice in the matter. :nixweiss:

The original harness is pretty much undisturbed. I had replaced the handlebar switches in the past, and those came with new wires. I had a 40A charging system installed. I had rewired the starter circuit. All these are being done again as I'm installing the modern chrome HD handlebar controls, the drivetrain comes with a new charging system and, a modern HO starter. Still up in the air on the harness. You know that if I strip the bike completely to change the harness, the frame would have to get repowdercoated then. That might cause the project to exceed the $750 budget! :o :D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »

Thanks Don. Everything's a little tight in there. You should see how much of the trans case/inner primary he removed from around the left side of the swingarm to get it to fit.

Thought about asking just that.  Then realized I didn't really want to see.  Might be painful to look at.

As long as there was meat enough to be removed without compromising anything it's just a step in the process to completion.  Just don't let landing fixation force you to do things to reach completion that aren't good choices.  It sounds like Vern wouldn't do that.  But you guys keep an eye on each other to double check.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »

Thought about asking just that.  Then realized I didn't really want to see.  Might be painful to look at.

As long as there was meat enough to be removed without compromising anything it's just a step in the process to completion.  Just don't let landing fixation force you to do things to reach completion that aren't good choices.  It sounds like Vern wouldn't do that.  But you guys keep an eye on each other to double check.

Yep, that's what led to clearancing the case/inner primary to clear the swingarm as a solution. Now the rest of the stuff is a matter of what components can be reused, or need replacement. The main job was getting that drivetrain to fit. Now it fits, and we can continue the process. ;)

Hoist! 8)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »

lookn good brutha,,when do you expectt her to be done?...how is the eagle runnin"?
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »

Whadda hugh set of jugs!  I mean .....Son!     :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »

lookn good brutha,,when do you expectt her to be done?...how is the eagle runnin"?

SERK's doing great so far! Thanks for asking Marc. :2vrolijk_21:

I'm expecting this to take 1-2 months. Depends on whether we strip it down completely to have the frame repowdercoated or not. I'll know more in the next week or so. ;)

Hoist! 8)

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »

Howie!
The FXWG is looking really great.  I'd love to drive down to NSMC this weekend and see her in person.  And Cybil looks like the proper lady she is.  You done great.  Congratulations.  Really looking forward to seeing this project progress to completion, and seeing the Bobber take form.  Best Blessings to ya.

Henry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »

Howie!
The FXWG is looking really great.  I'd love to drive down to NSMC this weekend and see her in person.  And Cybil looks like the proper lady she is.  You done great.  Congratulations.  Really looking forward to seeing this project progress to completion, and seeing the Bobber take form.  Best Blessings to ya.

Henry

Thanks a lot Henry. It's an interesting project for sure. And less streesful than the torture I went thru to get a new motor in Cybil! ;)

I have a rig (Hoist ;D) on 53rd St & 7th Ave at Midnight on Fri night. We're permitted until noon on Sat. I'm not sure what condition I'll be in when I get home Sat. afternoon. But if I can stay up after pulling the all-nighter, I'll be happy to bring you out there again. As a matter of fact, if I don't get Cybil there before Fri, you might be my ticket to a return ride home after dropping her off on Sat instead. Let me know, and I'll see if I can make it happen on my end! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »

Thanks a lot Henry. It's an interesting project for sure. And less streesful than the torture I went thru to get a new motor in Cybil! ;)

I have a rig (Hoist ;D) on 53rd St & 7th Ave at Midnight on Fri night. We're permitted until noon on Sat. I'm not sure what condition I'll be in when I get home Sat. afternoon. But if I can stay up after pulling the all-nighter, I'll be happy to bring you out there again. As a matter of fact, if I don't get Cybil there before Fri, you might be my ticket to a return ride home after dropping her off on Sat instead. Let me know, and I'll see if I can make it happen on my end! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Let me know where to be and when to be there on Saturday, and I'll make it happen.  I do need to be back up here no later than 4pm Saturday.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Cool Henry. I'll call ya later! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:33:30 PM »

Looking good Howie!

Now this looks like a fun project!  Both the build and the ride!  Keep us posted but she's looking good so far.  I'm anxious to see what's in store!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

Looking good Howie!

Now this looks like a fun project!  Both the build and the ride!  Keep us posted but she's looking good so far.  I'm anxious to see what's in store!

Thanks Craig. This one has been a lotta fun. We had the drivetrain in for a few months now. Then I picked out a new front end and sent the legs to Traxxion, along with getting a set of bitubos from them too. Now I'm picking out hand and foot controls, probably PM, along with PM brakes. It's been fun picking out and ordering all this cool chit. Not so cool paying for it though! :nixweiss:

As long as the motor doesn't overpower the frame, this thing should ride like a dream, and go like hell! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »

Holy crap! Vern's going to town on this bike this like gangbusters! The drivetrain is completely installed. He was able to utilize the stock oil tank and battery box. He has to setup a spot for the new Accel coil though. The stock mounting location won't work. No biggie. I just ordered the PM Contour Hand and Foot Controls, PM 6 piston differential bore front and 4 piston rear calipers, Russell Floating rotors, new 51 tooth rear sprocket and chain, all new SS lines and cables, new Lucas style Tailight/licence plate bracket, and new HID headlight assembly! This bike might be completed within the next 2 weeks now! :o :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 26 queries.