Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cooling fans on 2012 FLTRXSE  (Read 2268 times)

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
cooling fans on 2012 FLTRXSE
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »

Installed these :2vrolijk_21: today simply amazing
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
Re: cooling fans on 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »

Great  :2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

Hi,care to elaborate? What if any are the benefits? Does the motor run cooler if so how much cooler? Oh and is the heat felt on your legs when idling in traffic? Just questions. I do like the look of them but here in Adelaide South Australia our summer temps get quite hot so it would be good to know how effective they really are. Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »

Hi,care to elaborate? What if any are the benefits? Does the motor run cooler if so how much cooler? Oh and is the heat felt on your legs when idling in traffic? Just questions. I do like the look of them but here in Adelaide South Australia our summer temps get quite hot so it would be good to know how effective they really are. Thanks

Several threads on the site discuss your questions, here is one:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=86908.

So far I haven't seen any actual data showing before and after head temp measurements, so all you will get is anecdotal evidence and opinions.  As for the leg heat, the fans aren't designed to address that issue at all, and in fact could make the right leg temps higher as I explained in that other thread.  Keeping the actual peak head temps lower and more consistent will have mechanical benefits, but that doesn't necessarily translate to improved rider comfort if that is your main concern.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »

Might wanna PM Charlie. Being in Dubai I'm sure the heat is comparable and he's praised these fans in some other posts.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »

Might wanna PM Charlie. Being in Dubai I'm sure the heat is comparable and he's praised these fans in some other posts.
Have already been following this post with interest to see others opinions!
Living out in Dubai, as you can imagine it gets pretty dam hot! at the moment its about 120 average with humidity running at about 60%, not good for us humans and certainly not good for the already hot running 110 motor!
When it comes to being stuck in  traffic out here we have a problem! if the police see you weaving through stationary traffic they can take your bike off you for up to 3 months! so with that in mind, when the traffic stops, so do you!! when stopping in this heat the bike goes into safe mode within a few minutes!
The 3 areas I decided to hit to cool down the motor was, pipes/tune - Oil Cooler - Fans, in that order
Started with changing the pipes and getting a tune, noticeable difference but not enough to say mission accomplished!
Moved onto Oil Cooler, fitted the HD Premium Cooler, another slight change/improvement, moving in the right direction but still goes into safe mode when stuck in traffic!
Researched Fans! my original choice was the Jims Forceflow Cylinder head cooling fan but too modern looking for the look I was looking for, eventually found the WPW, lots of members recommending them, liked the look and decided to give them a go!
I will start with customer service, I can honestly say that Jason from WPW provided me with the best customer service I have received to date with anyone  whilst dealing with anything connected to Harleys! full stop!
Ordered and received the Fans, following my order I received the Fans and thermal switch within 7 days of order! pretty good considering im out here in Dubai! when receiving the fans I was very pleasantly surprised with the build quality! far exceeded my expectations considering they are built by hand by 1 man in his garage in the sates! very professional looking piece of kit!
Fitting, fitting was very simple, 20 minutes and a couple of bottles of Bud later and the job was done!
Verdict, after all the above said I can honestly say I love the fans! look great, great build quality, fully automatic with the thermal switch, work great, I have purposely left the bike running whist stationary for over 15 minutes in 120 F heat and the bike has never once gone into safe mode, mission accomplished!

Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:45 AM »

Hi  thanks for taking the time to elaborating I love this forum for the quick responses so thanks guys  :)

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.