Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to sell my 2012 CVO RG Colbalt Blue what's a good price?  (Read 4201 times)

Imbuilt2ride

I want to sell my 2012 CVO RG Colbalt Blue what's a good price?
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »

Lots of extras, front lowered 2 inches with Progressive mono tubes, MADSTAD, Banana boards, HIDS, LEDS Halos, Backrest with 4 point bracket, Rinehart Slipons with Hi flow baffles new tires. Runs perfect and looks great!! Still under warranty 35,000 miles

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: I want to sell my 2012 CVO RG Colbalt Blue what's a good price?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »

Depends on which side of the table your sitting on.... ;)

A buyer might like to be low 20's - mid 20'S and a seller might like to get mid - high 20's, every sale is somewhat different.

Have you polled your local dealers on the current market value? It may be a good starting point to set your expectations if your looking for a quick sale.

And then there's always EBay....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »

You could check the book value (your bank or credit union should have the various "books", as well as most libraries).  It's often difficult to get really accurate numbers due to the relatively low volume of sales on late model CVO's, but it should get you in the ballpark.  Your 35k miles is a negative, since average mileage for a 2012 Touring model would be closer to 9k.  Add-ons don't add as much value as most sellers seem to think they do, and places like NADA suggest that on a 2012 your add-ons would add at best 40% of what you spent on them to the resale value.  Unless you find someone who just loves your changes, often the add-ons have no real value at all.

It's a very difficult time to accurately price a Harley, and if you want to get a good feel for the market in your particular area you might try taking the bike to several dealerships and seeing what they would offer to either buy the bike outright or what they would allow on a trade.  Those numbers would give you your minimum value.  Then look at what dealers are asking for similar bikes in their inventories.  Those numbers would give you your maximum value.  If you want to sell it yourself, and want to move it quickly, you will probably need to price the bike about halfway between the trade-in value and retail value.  If you don't mind waiting for a customer willing to spend more, then adjust your asking price closer to retail.

The above is just a long winded attempt to say there is no simple answer to your question.  Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »

There was one on here a couple of months ago that the owner from Colorado was trying to get 27K for.  I believe he let it go for 25 or 26 and it had exhaust, tuner and 3500 miles.  I thought that was a really good deal for the new owner.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »

You could check the book value (your bank or credit union should have the various "books", as well as most libraries).  It's often difficult to get really accurate numbers due to the relatively low volume of sales on late model CVO's, but it should get you in the ballpark.  Your 35k miles is a negative, since average mileage for a 2012 Touring model would be closer to 9k.  Add-ons don't add as much value as most sellers seem to think they do, and places like NADA suggest that on a 2012 your add-ons would add at best 40% of what you spent on them to the resale value.  Unless you find someone who just loves your changes, often the add-ons have no real value at all.

It's a very difficult time to accurately price a Harley, and if you want to get a good feel for the market in your particular area you might try taking the bike to several dealerships and seeing what they would offer to either buy the bike outright or what they would allow on a trade.  Those numbers would give you your minimum value.  Then look at what dealers are asking for similar bikes in their inventories.  Those numbers would give you your maximum value.  If you want to sell it yourself, and want to move it quickly, you will probably need to price the bike about halfway between the trade-in value and retail value.  If you don't mind waiting for a customer willing to spend more, then adjust your asking price closer to retail.

The above is just a long winded attempt to say there is no simple answer to your question.  Good luck.

Jerry
May not be a simple answer but very informative indeed.

As Jerry pointed out the dealers in your area area are a good starting point. I emphasize that from past experience. about 18 months ago I hopped a plane to Utah to go buy another avalanche from a member on the truck forum. The difference in market value between where he lives and where I live was $4000 in my favor. A $200 plane ticket and a few tanks of gas saved me a ton of money.  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »

Well, for my zip code, which is in Alabama, the NADA book says Low Retail is $22,690, High Retail $30,800, and Average Retail $29770.  That would be what a dealer would be asking.  With 35,000 miles, regardless of add on parts, and even if there's not a scratch on it, I think you'd be lucky to get $26,000 for it in a private sale.  The 35K miles, if the person knows the history of the 110 motors, would make most buyers apprehensive because that is the point where many of the engines start having issues like self destructing lifters that take out the entire engine.  It's definitely a point at which at least the cam chest needs to be pulled and a thorough inspection done for wear of oil pump, lifters, cam lobes, cam chain components, etc.  The lifters would be my primary concern.  Not a HUGE deal to replace some parts in there, but it would cost a few bucks even if the person did the work themselves.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »

Lots of extras, front lowered 2 inches with Progressive mono tubes, MADSTAD, Banana boards, HIDS, LEDS Halos, Backrest with 4 point bracket, Rinehart Slipons with Hi flow baffles new tires. Runs perfect and looks great!! Still under warranty 35,000 miles
Check out the Kelly blue Book value. You can just google it.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »

Check out the Kelly blue Book value. You can just google it.

or got to kbb.com/motorcycle
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ImBroke

• Junior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE WHITE AMETHYST/BLACK LICORICE
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »

You can also check out the "completed listing" section on ebay and see what bikes like yours have sold for recently.  I dont know why but there have been a lot of the Blue 2012's on ebay recently

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.