Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: My FLHXSE2 Problems  (Read 22464 times)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
My FLHXSE2 Problems
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »

I will not get into the amp. We all know about that.

Last Saturday I was about to go out for a ride and i decided to check my oil because there was a burning smell the night before. I was down 1 quart. How can this be since it was less than 4000 km (2500 m) since my last service/oil change. Went to the dealer to get the oil and the mechanic came out to take a look after i told him what was going on. He found some oil around the pressure switch and suspects it is coming out from there. There is no oil dripping on the ground. They will replace it and take a closer look at this when it goes in next month for the amp. I just hope that i am not burning oil.

Last night i went to open my left saddle bag and the lid fell off and was hanging by the cloth. After a closer inspection i found that all 5 screws which hold the lid latch to the bag where missing. 1 screw was trapped and fell on the ground. I noticed that the loctite was still on the threads which makes me think that the screws might not have been torqued/tighten from York, PA......Ish.

Other than that i still am loving my ride and i still think it is the best bike that i have owned.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:21:31 PM by Mano »

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
Re: My FLHXSE2 Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

Thoose 5 little screws are some of the fastsner that need to be tightened or at least checked regularly. 

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

The other 5 all needed a 1/4 turn.

I would recommend that you all check them. Putting the lid back on required an extra set of hands. I now keep 5 extra NEW screws with me just in case.

jagerbomb

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »

Last Saturday I was about to go out for a ride and i decided to check my oil because there was a burning smell the night before. I was down 1 quart. How can this be since it was less than 4000 km (2500 m) since my last service/oil change. Went to the dealer to get the oil and the mechanic came out to take a look after i told him what was going on. He found some oil around the pressure switch and suspects it is coming out from there. There is no oil dripping on the ground. They will replace it and take a closer look at this when it goes in next month for the amp. I just hope that i am not burning oil.

Last night i went to open my left saddle bag and the lid fell off and was hanging by the cloth. After a closer inspection i found that all 5 screws which hold the lid latch to the bag where missing. 1 screw was trapped and fell on the ground. I noticed that the loctite was still on the threads which makes me think that the screws might not have been torqued/tighten from York, PA......Ish.

Other than that i still am loving my ride and i still think it is the best bike that i have owned.
my lid did the same thing last weekend on the same side. Luckily it was close to home, I just got back from Fayetteville which was a 350 mile ride home.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:15 AM »

The other 5 all needed a 1/4 turn.

I would recommend that you all check them. Putting the lid back on required an extra set of hands. I now keep 5 extra NEW screws with me just in case.
My Friend Manolis,  it seems as many things are falling apart these days...ex..Steelers,economy,cvos,wallets ...LOL :huepfenlol2:

BUCKNUT  :2vrolijk_21:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

My Friend Manolis,  it seems as many things are falling apart these days...ex..Steelers,economy,cvos,wallets ...LOL :huepfenlol2:

BUCKNUT  :2vrolijk_21:

Gergory.

Nothing can be any worst than the Steelers O line. :'(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:59:22 PM by Mano »

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »

I just returned from my dealer.  I had found that my rear license plate light and holder were loose.  Service department got her fixed in no time.  It was one of those thing I could have done myself but I thought if they did it they would file a warranty claim with HD, and just maybe, someone at HD would take notice.  It took them longer to do the paperwork then the repair.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

jcd520

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »

Generally speaking when you buy a new ride, take things apart and apply loctite and put them back every time you are screwing around in your garage doing nothing. It will save you some time later on. Start with the things you know are susceptible to vibration.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

I just returned from my dealer.  I had found that my rear license plate light and holder were loose.  Service department got her fixed in no time.  It was one of those thing I could have done myself but I thought if they did it they would file a warranty claim with HD, and just maybe, someone at HD would take notice.  It took them longer to do the paperwork then the repair.

I agree with you but it was Friday and i knew i wanted to ride on the weekend. I did call and ask for the screws....they did not have any in stock. Had to get them from another dealer.....ish.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »

Generally speaking when you buy a new ride, take things apart and apply loctite and put them back every time you are screwing around in your garage doing nothing. It will save you some time later on. Start with the things you know are susceptible to vibration.

The stock screws and the new ones had red loctite on the treads. I also drenched them with red liquid perminate loctite.

ibemployed

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »

:soapbox:

Anyone out there know what kind of oil is best for my 2012 SESG.  I'm near my 1000 mile oil change and heard amsoil is better than the screaming eagle oil from harley.  Any thoughts?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

:soapbox:

Anyone out there know what kind of oil is best for my 2012 SESG.  I'm near my 1000 mile oil change and heard amsoil is better than the screaming eagle oil from harley.  Any thoughts?

Jerry, I answered the gentleman but it was (somewhat) tongue in cheek.  There's been several one post/first post wonders asking the most painfully obvious of obvious questions lately.  They often have similar formatting and syntax (or lacks thereof).  I think someone is screwing with us a bit.  It's not a big deal.  And, if not, the gentleperson can certainly introduce himself and say more.

:oops:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

Well did this turn out to be a bigger problem. I talked about it on other threads but did not think much of it. Coming from Key West last year noticed I was losing oil. Some of it on the motor. When I got it looked at that time I was told the Trans. bolts came loose. OK. Then it leaked some more. They said it was coming from the oil filter. They replaced it and some gaskets and off to Sturgis I went. On the way back the whole right side of the engine was covered in oil. Pulled into a Harley dealer and they did an oil change telling me that under the oil filter there was another plate that came loose....wrong. Again back to the dealer here since the leaks never stopped and I kept finding oil under the bike. There were more times but I can't remember them all. So I took it in again and they said we really need to look it over. I said I would bring it in the winter when it was slow and have them look it over. So on the 25th of Feb I took it in. Got it back yesterday and this is what they did......

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

So at 64 000 KM/40 000 M. I needed almost every gasket replaced. Ish. I am suspecting that when the motor got really hot one of the gaskets would expand and it would leak. Cooled down and it would stop. This is why they changed so many. They could not pin point which one.

No wonder nobody wanted to ride behind me due to the smell of oil....or they could not keep up. ;D

Thank you God for extended warranty. I am now convinced that I have a Friday bike. Poor workmanship and cheap parts.

After all of the trouble I have had in the last 2 years I still love it. I rode her home yesterday and was smiling the whole way...ish....lol.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:26:06 PM by Mano »

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »

Sounds like you got things all sealed up, Mano.  Was it snowing yesterday in the Great White North ...  :nervous:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »

Sounds like you got things all sealed up, Mano.  Was it snowing yesterday in the Great White North ...  :nervous:

I hope so. We will see. I guess you can say I got all the bugs out by now.

It was +4 and sunny. Just above 32 for you. Have you been out yet?

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

Yes.  We had one weekend that allowed for that in the beginning of March.  Thats been it but it sure felt GREAT.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »

An update.

A 4th head unit went in today. I also replaced the cruise control switch twice and today the Throttle Sensor Assembly.

I know there is more but ish......

Am I the only one or is everyone else just fixing and not saying anything. :nixweiss:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

An update.

A 4th head unit went in today. I also replaced the cruise control switch twice and today the Throttle Sensor Assembly.

Am I the only one or is everyone else just fixing and not saying anything. :nixweiss:

+36,600 on my twin to your scooter.  Issues: amp, front wheel replaced due to bad plating, compensator replaced.  Compared to Lexi (08 SERK) this has been very reliable!

JW

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

Bike is at the dealer again. Check engine light on again.
 :'( :'(

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:43 AM »

Dang Mano. I know you are ready to be done with all this. I have had zero problems out of mine.
 I hope things get better soon.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »

Dang Mano. I know you are ready to be done with all this. I have had zero problems out of mine.
 I hope things get better soon.
 Ray

I keep saying....I think I got the bugs out......NOT.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

Codes PD134, P1510 & P2138 came up again. To make a long story short. The one wire (grey) for the Throttle Control, when it left York, P.A. was not placed with the rest of the wires under the bat wing by the steering head. So every time I would make a turn it would kink the wire. The wire broke inside (copper) but not on the outside.

Good find/fix but could have been avoided if the person putting the bike together was paying attention.

Yes....my bike was built on a Monday.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »

So every time I would make a turn it would kink the wire. The wire broke inside (copper) but not on the outside.

Mano,

That problem has been an issue for the last decade. On my '01 ultra the speedo sensor wire broke at the exact same location. Quite a few other bikes too. The MoCo allegedly fixed that issue with better wire.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

Man, Mano! I really hope you get past all of these problems. It sucks having to have your bike in for service like that all the time. At least you have the ESP!

I have been very lucky... The Honey Badger must have been built on a Wednesday.

I did replace the VSS about a year ago, after my speedo kept dropping to zero - taking the cruise control and radio AVC with it - even after cleaning the VSS. I did it on my own ($55 for a new VSS) because I didn't want any warranty service records in the system. Works fine ever since.

I also had to torque those two small bolts on top of the oil filter mount, where the lines go to the oil cooler. Gave them another 1/8 or so turn because that little cover was leaking oil at the gasket and it was running out onto the cam chest cover. That stopped it.

Good luck with all of this chit...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »

Thanks guys. Hope that I don't have to post on this thread again.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

Had the same seal go out on my 07 at 2,000 miles
No problems after that, traded it with 60,000 miles on it.
But they did find it the first time I took it in.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »

Thanks guys. Looks like these are the bars to go with.
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

An update.

You are not the only one. At 8,000 km I had new crank, rods, pistons, rings, and lifters. At 9000km a new clutch master cylinder.

Recently at 17,000km new rocker gaskets due to leakage.

A couple weeks ago at 20,000km I was replacing the plugs before a trip and the rear cylinder threads came out with the plug. I believe due to the heat from the engine the plugs would have been a problem no matter who would have removed them. This was on a Wednesday and departure date was on the Saturday following. The dealer was able to fit the repair in and charged me $800.00 for removing the head and putting an insert in. Says he will try to get warranty for me. We'll see !

Also one of the exhaust studs broke when the tech was dismantling everything and that was covered under warranty.

As you can see I am living the nightmare with you. Could it be a Canadian thing ? LOL.
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 06:00:51 AM »

You are not the only one. At 8,000 km I had new crank, rods, pistons, rings, and lifters. At 9000km a new clutch master cylinder.

Recently at 17,000km new rocker gaskets due to leakage.

A couple weeks ago at 20,000km I was replacing the plugs before a trip and the rear cylinder threads came out with the plug. I believe due to the heat from the engine the plugs would have been a problem no matter who would have removed them. This was on a Wednesday and departure date was on the Saturday following. The dealer was able to fit the repair in and charged me $800.00 for removing the head and putting an insert in. Says he will try to get warranty for me. We'll see !

Also one of the exhaust studs broke when the tech was dismantling everything and that was covered under warranty.

As you can see I am living the nightmare with you. Could it be a Canadian thing ? LOL.

Humm....looks like all the good bike are coming north...lol.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »

I'm baaaack..... :(

On my way to Montreal I felt the motor cutting out but I kept going. Once I arrived at the hotel I went to park and turned all the way to the left turned the throttle and lifted my leg but the bike did not move. Was able to get my leg down in time. Notice the check engine light came on. Turned the handle bars straight and the throttle worked. Ish...anyway I was able to ride her back to Toronto by giving gas and pulling in the clutch every time I turned left. Got to the dealer on Tuesday and the mechanic said he has never seen this before. At the same time they said my started motor sounded like it was grinding. Bike is still there. Updates to come.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »

:smilie_daumenneg:

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »

:zwtf:
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 05:24:52 PM »

I'm baaaack..... :(

On my way to Montreal I felt the motor cutting out but I kept going. Once I arrived at the hotel I went to park and turned all the way to the left turned the throttle and lifted my leg but the bike did not move. Was able to get my leg down in time. Notice the check engine light came on. Turned the handle bars straight and the throttle worked. Ish...anyway I was able to ride her back to Toronto by giving gas and pulling in the clutch every time I turned left. Got to the dealer on Tuesday and the mechanic said he has never seen this before. At the same time they said my started motor sounded like it was grinding. Bike is still there. Updates to come.

Well they found a kinked wire in the in the harness by the frame where the steering turns. This is the second time I have had a kinked wire in that location. Oil pressure switch is no good. It was making the oil gauge dance like crazy when riding for more than 2 hours. Started motor will also need to be replaced and so will the compensator. The compensator is on back order and I will be lucky if I get my scoot back anytime soon. There are another 7 bikes in front of me waiting for the same part as they are on back order. That will be 2 nice weekends without my ride. :(

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »

:'( Good thing you have other bikes Manolis. 
Really Sorry to see you having these problems. :(

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »

IF makes you feel any better, I have a friend that normally rides an old beat up 48 Panhead and his GF bought him a new Victory hoping he could just ride and not wrench all the time as he is now 65. He got 2100 miles and the motor blew up. Couldn't find anyone to work on it while out on the road. Finally found someone and Victory had no new motors so they are completely rebuilding his. So you see others are having issues as well. Hope yours is resolved soon.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

:'( Good thing you have other bikes Manolis. 
Really Sorry to see you having these problems. :(

Thanks buddy...problem is I really love riding this bike. I think I just got a bad one. Anyway picking it up tomorrow and will have to take it back as the compensator and starter motor are both on back order.....ish.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »

Well got my scoot back and everything mentioned was replaced. Running good....for now....lol.

One thing I did find interesting is that I was told that if another wire breaks in the same location where 2 have already broken they will replace the whole wiring harness. Don't know if I really like that idea as who knows how much of the bike they would have to take apart. All I can say is thank you lord for extended warranty.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 08:53:38 PM »

Well got my scoot back and everything mentioned was replaced. Running good....for now....lol.

One thing I did find interesting is that I was told that if another wire breaks in the same location where 2 have already broken they will replace the whole wiring harness. Don't know if I really like that idea as who knows how much of the bike they would have to take apart. All I can say is thank you lord for extended warranty.
Bravo.....Glad it worked out Mano   :2vrolijk_21:

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »

good to hear they have you back on the road, wishing you many trouble free miles.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »

Bravo.....Glad it worked out Mano   :2vrolijk_21:

For now anyway..... :nixweiss:

Did 900 KM on the weekend and the oil gauge was dancing like crazy. They replaced the oil pressure switch and said it was bad....not....still doing it. Funny thing is it does it while riding for over an hour straight doing about 120 KM.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Head unit #5 went in on Saturday. They also found the iPod harness kinked under the faring. IPod is working as it should. :nixweiss:

A new harness was ordered to be replaced......ish.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »

For now anyway..... :nixweiss:

Did 900 KM on the weekend and the oil gauge was dancing like crazy. They replaced the oil pressure switch and said it was bad....not....still doing it. Funny thing is it does it while riding for over an hour straight doing about 120 KM.

Well my scoot has been at the dealer now for 6 weeks. I guess the dancing oil gauge was a bigger problem. Anywho this has caused other damage. I will post what was done once I get the invoice.

Thought this was a good thread to bring back up again for my 3000 post. ;)

harleybar7

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »

Have had a few issues with my SE2 also but love it. I think I have them all handled. (Maybe not the amp.) Just wanted to chime in, familiar situation. Oil pressure sending unit oil leak was replaced under warranty. BUT. still had to take it out and re seal myself 6 months later because apparently that and other dealer work I had re do myself were beyond there capabilities. So short version, keep an eye on it.
If Ailiens are looking for intelligent life, why are you scared?

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 11:31:35 PM »

Mano I think I might have turned that bike in as a lemon and got a different bike.   I hope I never have the troubles you have been thru, I'm not that forgiving or patient  :2vrolijk_21:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

Mano I think I might have turned that bike in as a lemon and got a different bike.   I hope I never have the troubles you have been thru, I'm not that forgiving or patient  :2vrolijk_21:

Yes I do think in some ways I did get a lemon. The bike was built on a Monday. As for getting another one......ish....not up here. CVO SG's are sold before they leave the U.S. My scoot is still at the dealer. Thank you lord for the warranty otherwise I would not have been patient.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »

Well I got my scoot back last week and I have already broke in the motor by putting on 800 KM.

I had 96 000 KM or 60 000 Miles. The motor and tranny were totally rebuilt under warranty. Some other work was also done and got new tires too. She is ready to go. I can feel and hear the difference.

I can finally say that with all the problems I had it has paid off with this work that was done. The dealership was great and took care of me. So cant wait to get out there and start putting on the clicks again. Maybe I will get a second motor and tranny under warranty. ;D

Going to Key West and Sturgis this year. I should be good for about 35 000 KM for this year. :bananarock:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »

Well I got my scoot back last week and I have already broke in the motor by putting on 800 KM.

I had 96 000 KM or 60 000 Miles. The motor and tranny were totally rebuilt under warranty. Some other work was also done and got new tires too. She is ready to go. I can feel and hear the difference.

I can finally say that with all the problems I had it has paid off with this work that was done. The dealership was great and took care of me. So cant wait to get out there and start putting on the clicks again. Maybe I will get a second motor and tranny under warranty. ;D

Going to Key West and Sturgis this year. I should be good for about 35 000 KM for this year. :bananarock:

Glad to hear. We went to Key West on a rented Limited Low in Feb. Bucket list thing. Not much to see just ocean on both sides and one main artery to ride on. Slow moving averaged probably 40 mph for 4 hours lol. But we were happy to do it and see it.

Wish we could have spent more time in Key West. Only had an evening there and it rained the entire ride back to the mainland from about 11am to 4pm. Oh well, we made the best of it! Safe travels!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »

Awesome ride. Did it in 2012. Doing it again and hitting other key destinations. For us Canadians making it down to Key West is a big thing. :bananarock:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »

Awesome ride. Did it in 2012. Doing it again and hitting other key destinations. For us Canadians making it down to Key West is a big thing. :bananarock:

It was alright glad I did it but moving along to much better rides.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »

Wishing you many more trouble free miles!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »

Wishing you many more trouble free miles!

Yup....hoping to get another motor before the warranty expires. ;D

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

Yup....hoping to get another motor before the warranty expires. ;D

Well I was joking when I said this,  ;)

So my bike was towed into the dealer on June 24,2017. Almost 2 years after I posted this at 144 000 KM it happened.

In short the lifter went while I was on the highway. By the time I pulled off the motor ran on one cylinder. when I was safely off the highway it just died and did not start again. Metal has gone thru the motor and contaminated/damaged it internally.

Went back and forth with the dealer and ESP. They did not want to cover the motor because they said I had exceeded the limit on the warranty. I said what limit and to be clear I would have never even been close to any limit if It was not for cheap parts or poor design. They conceded and a new 110 CI motor is being installed under ESP. Chitty part is that the motor still has not been delivered from Milwaukee and I must wait another 3 more weeks.

Since I last wrote this I am on head unit #7, another compensator was replaced, front bearings and fork seals and the clutch master cylinder.

The warranty expires in December. ;D

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

well, you're obviously way above the mileage limit to renew your warranty.  are you going to be looking at a new 2018?  i'm pretty sure I would be.   :2vrolijk_21:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »

well, you're obviously way above the mileage limit to renew your warranty.  are you going to be looking at a new 2018?  i'm pretty sure I would be.   :2vrolijk_21:

After that much failure, that much disservice and that much equivocation about whether or not there might even be service I'd definitely be looking for another bike when the service agreement expired.  It just wouldn't be another Harley.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »

Wow, am speechless after reading this post.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »

Mano,

Your bike was born under a bad sign!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

I wanted to renew just before 125 000 km ( that's the cut off) and I decided not too. Good thing I did. They told me that the new warranty did not cover as much of the motor as the old one did.  :o

As for a new 2018 I will take a look when they come out. For me it's about the paint. I totally love the paint and lay out of what I have now. IF they make a 2018 CVO SG hopefully there is a black one with no flames and a chrome motor. The last Anniversary year in 2013 they did not make a CVO SG.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:40:22 PM by Mano »

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

It just wouldn't be another Harley.

Yes I am hooked. I know, like a sheep I will buy another CVO SG. I have 7 bikes. Each one has something different to offer (like a woman  :P ) but the CVO SG, well I cannot explain it.

I will hold on to this bike. I just cannot bring myself to sell. Besides I cannot see me getting much for it anyway.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »

Well picked my bike up on Saturday with a new 110 in it. Sounds tight/better than before but as we know once she gets broken in we know those sounds, ;).

Going to break her in and keep riding. After seeing the paint layout of the 2018's if I had to buy I would go with a new black 2017 but that does not tickle me as much as mine does. IMHO the paint layout of my 2011 is one of the better ones on a CVO. With a fresh 110 in her she is almost new. I just cannot justify paying over $62 000 CAN and not liking the paint.

So my ESP expires in December. Someone once said there was a limit on how much you can get on ESP. Well 2 motors later 7 head units and a whole bunch of other stuff I got over $30 000 CAN done on my scoot. Not really proud of this but thank you lord that I did have it.

So my question to those out there that been there done that.

Do I leave the motor stock and replace the lifters like a scheduled maintenance or do I upgrade to the 117 and have quality parts installed. Should I do the 117 upgrade now that the motor is new or do I wait to put some milage on it.

KY-SESG

• Junior CVO Member
    • KY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Sold
    • CVO3: 1997 FLSTS Sold; 1991 Sportster Sold
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »

Do I leave the motor stock and replace the lifters like a scheduled maintenance or do I upgrade to the 117 and have quality parts installed. Should I do the 117 upgrade now that the motor is new or do I wait to put some milage on it.

On my way home from Sturgis this year I had a lifter fail catastrophically on my 2015 SESG at 33,500 and ESP is replacing the short block. I decided to have the dealer install the 117" kit since the labor is covered  :2vrolijk. I am putting in Jims lifters instead of the stock CVO junk ones. I say junk because the same lifter failed on my '08 SERK at 34,000 miles and it was out of warranty, no ESP.  >:(

ESP is covering a new oil pan as well, so I decided to go with the expanded capacity oil pan for the difference in $. This adds 1.5 quarts to the stock which should help cool the motor a bit more since the oil will cycle through the motor less frequently. I did the ESP on the SESG because of the failure on the SERK. Glad to have done that since it will be at least $5600 covered by ESP on the repairs due to the lifter failure. Looking forward to the additional torque and power from the 117 kit. :orange:

My advice for anyone with a 110 is to replace the lifters (may as well do Cams too) at <=30,000 miles.
Fullsac DX headers, Fullsac 2" cores w/ screens, TTS Master Tune, 117ci kit, 58mm TB, 259E Cams, high capacity oil pan, Topline Hylift Johnson b2313se lifters, Saddlemen Dominator solo seat, Yaffe 10" Monkeybars, Yaffe Stealth III plate mount, 10" FreedomShield, lower fairing Boom II speakers, Focal 570 bag speakers...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »

Godspeed on the repair.  It's the general consensus there are options better than the Jim's lifters though.  One such at the link below.  Just an FYI if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFADTS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AOMQWLSRNOND

KY-SESG

• Junior CVO Member
    • KY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Sold
    • CVO3: 1997 FLSTS Sold; 1991 Sportster Sold
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »

Godspeed on the repair.  It's the general consensus there are options better than the Jim's lifters though.  One such at the link below.  Just an FYI if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFADTS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AOMQWLSRNOND

Thanks for the info and quick response, Twolane.  I want to be sure I am selecting the correct part number for my build. Will this part number, B-2313SE, work with the 117 kit and 259E cams with perfect fit rods on a 2015 SESG?  If so, I will put a stop on the Jims and order the Johnsons instead.

I greatly appreciate the knowledge many of you post on this site. I have been a long time consumer of it, although I rarely have much to contribute.
Fullsac DX headers, Fullsac 2" cores w/ screens, TTS Master Tune, 117ci kit, 58mm TB, 259E Cams, high capacity oil pan, Topline Hylift Johnson b2313se lifters, Saddlemen Dominator solo seat, Yaffe 10" Monkeybars, Yaffe Stealth III plate mount, 10" FreedomShield, lower fairing Boom II speakers, Focal 570 bag speakers...

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

Thank you Twolanerider.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 24 queries.