Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rattle in Clutch Lever  (Read 6235 times)

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
Rattle in Clutch Lever
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

Hi there

As a very new member to this forum I thought I'd post my first minor annoyance with my new CVO SG. I read a post that was posted much earlier in the year so rather than tag that one I thought I'd start one fresh.

Seems a few owners have been bothered by the same problem and the dealers just kinda shrug their shoulders and say they "all do it".

I'm just wondering how easy it is to rectify yourself and exactly what you used to make it work quietly. The rattle particularly on decel is pretty annoying.

I have small circlip pliers to remove the snap ring, but after that I'm not sure what to use. Bike has only covered 200 klms.

Cheers

Tyson

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
Re: Rattle in Clutch Lever
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »

I had the same problem and the dealer put in a thin plastic washer/shim in there and it solved the problem.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »

Funny you should mention about the clutch lever rattle. A little annoying is that rattle and I will ask stealership to put a nylon washer on the fitting when I bring in my SE3 for some work in a few weeks time. Thanks for the tip Tyson.
Ride safe all.

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:41:53 AM »

I had the same problem and the dealer put in a thin plastic washer/shim in there and it solved the problem.

Hi there

You wouldn't happen to know what thickness by any chance as in .025" or thicker etc.

Cheers

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:45:26 AM »

I had a local repair shop use a thin copper washer and solved my loose clutch lever.     Can't believe how sloppy it was before the fix. >:(

Wanna Ride

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:37:37 AM »

I made a little washer out of plastic butter tub. I know, I know... sounds trailer-park, but it worked. Tore it apart and didn't know what I'd need until after it was apart. Looked at it and said to myself, " well, this is an easy fix". Put it back together and it's been silent ever since.

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »

I made a little washer out of plastic butter tub. I know, I know... sounds trailer-park, but it worked. Tore it apart and didn't know what I'd need until after it was apart. Looked at it and said to myself, " well, this is an easy fix". Put it back together and it's been silent ever since.

Hi there

Well you know what they say: neccessity is the mother of invention and if it works, great! Now you say you tore it apart, so you can tell me what happens after you remove the snap ring and the pin it attaches to? If I then pull the lever out of the housing will there be other bits that fall out or apart? It's a bit hard without an exploded view of the clutch lever assembly.   :-\
Cheers

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »

Hi there

Well you know what they say: neccessity is the mother of invention and if it works, great! Now you say you tore it apart, so you can tell me what happens after you remove the snap ring and the pin it attaches to? If I then pull the lever out of the housing will there be other bits that fall out or apart? It's a bit hard without an exploded view of the clutch lever assembly.   :-\
Cheers

Here you go
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies//showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&A=873&B=22&vehicleid=2012-Harley-Davidson-Street-Bike-FLHXSE3-CVO-STREET-GLIDE%AE-(PZ)-CLUTCH-LEVER-ASSEMBLY
A nice exoded view if the lever assembly.
Ride safe.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »

I have the same problem and after looking at the exploded view, now I still want to know if any of those little parts in the diagram, that don't have part number listed, will fall out if I remove the lever.  Those other parts look like they come as part of the lever assembly (#20) in the diagram.  Are they attached to the lever or will they fall out upon removal of the lever?

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

I have the same problem and after looking at the exploded view, now I still want to know if any of those little parts in the diagram, that don't have part number listed, will fall out if I remove the lever.  Those other parts look like they come as part of the lever assembly (#20) in the diagram.  Are they attached to the lever or will they fall out upon removal of the lever?

Hi there

Thanks to PeterJ for the microfiche site, very handy indeed!!!! And ditto to the post quoted??

Cheers

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »

This little improvement is on the 'winter to do list'>
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »

I never noticed if I had a clutch lever rattle or not. Hell who could here it over the top end rattle these things have anyway???  I know that's a whole different thread but OMG.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Tyson

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

I'm not sure on the thickness of the washer. He just said it was so thin it's more like a shim.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »

That copper washer that was used on my lever had to be sanded down some.   It's very thin but solves the issue.   Mine was really sloppy too.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »

What's the ID and OD of this washer.....I'm going to look at work for something that'll work.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.