Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: SG 2015 - Oberon adjustable levers  (Read 8682 times)

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
SG 2015 - Oberon adjustable levers
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »

Hi all

I've replaced the stock clutch and brake levers on my SG 2015 by Oberon Short Adjustable Standard levers.

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Harley_Davidson_Hydraulic_Clutch_Adjustable_Levers-1.html

http://www.hogleverage.com/

Day & night  :2vrolijk_21: Very comfortable, friction control is drastically improved as now the clutch is engaged when I only open my hand half and no more when almost fully open. Brake is also very good. At least for me.

Very easy to install (Tutorial here https://youtu.be/mkMpkdSEN24). A 10min job with the proper "Circlip" plier to remove the pin.

One of the best upgrade so far for me.

Here is the brake lever. Adjustment set to position 3 (1 is the closer)

Here is the clutch lever

Here a comparison with the stock clutch lever. Oberon set to position 8

Here a comparison with the stock clutch lever. Oberon set to position 1

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:06:26 PM by Lolo »

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
Re: SG 2015 - Oberon adjustable levers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »

Thanks for this info and the links.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »

Love this upgrade idea!  I just ordered them in chrome for my 15 CVO SG because of this post!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »

For the avoidance of doubt, sake of clarity etc.. I have absolutely no interest in Oberon company. I just had an issue with the stock product that I've solved with this one. Worked for me, so I've shared with you folks as prior to my purchase I did not find too much info around. Hope this helps.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

We've had many discussions on the site in the past about adjusting the engagement point of the CVO clutch, which of course isn't adjustable like it was with the cable clutches.  This lever came up in one of those threads not too long ago, but at the time they didn't offer something for the CVO's or in chrome.  Now that  those issues have been addressed, I assume a lot of CVO riders will be looking into them. 

I'd like to mention something anyone using these levers really needs to be aware of however.  If you adjust the lever too close to the grip you will be severely limiting the travel of the master cylinder piston, and the clutch will probably not fully release.  That in turn can have a negative affect on shifting.  Just a heads up and a recommendation to test for full release when adjusting the lever.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »

Interesting. I am going to look at these as well.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »

Looks like a great option for those that require such.  I'm with Jerry on the adjustable issues with release on the clutch but hey, if it works for those that utilize these, more power to you.

I remember the old 1980's and 1990's HD clutches and the Popeye forearms look.... :huepfenlol2: .  These Hydro units are so much nicer (to me anyway) that I'm good with the stock levers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:19:01 AM by Haird »

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:33:21 AM »

For the avoidance of doubt, sake of clarity etc.. I have absolutely no interest in Oberon company. I just had an issue with the stock product that I've solved with this one. Worked for me, so I've shared with you folks as prior to my purchase I did not find too much info around. Hope this helps.

As I'm waiting for my Oberon levers to arrive, I'm curious to know about the fitment of them.  Do you find any play in them up and down or are they engineered to fit as well as the stock versions?

Thanks...

Demetri
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 03:54:54 PM »

Both lever brake and clutch fit as well as the stock ones... with some play. Not better, not worst.

A way to reduce the play is to cut out a kind of specific washer from a plastic sheet that you will put on top of the lever before securing it with the pin. We are talking of a less than 0.04" thick washer.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:07 PM »

Both lever brake and clutch fit as well as the stock ones... with some play. Not better, not worst.

A way to reduce the play is to cut out a kind of specific washer from a plastic sheet that you will put on top of the lever before securing it with the pin. We are talking of a less than 0.04" thick washer.

Forgive me, but at over $300 for 2 levers, I would not expect to have to modify them in any way to make them fit better.

I just went into my garage to check for any play in my stock levers and found none.  I hope these fit the same at minimum.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:54:16 PM by dm930 »
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »

Forgive me, but at over $300 for 2 levers, I would not expect to have to modify them in any way to make them fit better.

I just went into my garage to check for any play in my stock levers and found none.  I hope these fit the same at minimum.

While your stock levers have no axial play, many Harley levers do to varying degrees.  It's been very common over a lot of years to have enough play that the levers bounce up and down a bit with engine vibrations and even rattle on occasion.  In the world of sloppy tolerances Harley owners have come to know and "love", this has always been deemed "normal" by the MoCo.  I guess the thinking is it's better to have them fit loosely and not bind versus being too tight and not returning completely.  Anyway, when folks get a bike with excess play the common fix has been to acquire or make a very thin nylon washer to take up the slack at the pivot.  Much easier than trying several lever and perch combinations trying to find a good fit.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »

While your stock levers have no axial play, many Harley levers do to varying degrees.  It's been very common over a lot of years to have enough play that the levers bounce up and down a bit with engine vibrations and even rattle on occasion.  In the world of sloppy tolerances Harley owners have come to know and "love", this has always been deemed "normal" by the MoCo.  I guess the thinking is it's better to have them fit loosely and not bind versus being too tight and not returning completely.  Anyway, when folks get a bike with excess play the common fix has been to acquire or make a very thin nylon washer to take up the slack at the pivot.  Much easier than trying several lever and perch combinations trying to find a good fit.

Jerry

Jerry,

I appreciate your perspective.  I guess I expect more from MoCo with respect to the CVO branding.  I work for a very high-end brand, BMW...  I look at the CVO brand the same as the BMW M brand or Motorsport.  It's a cut above the rest of the brand.  Custom Vehicle Operations is branded to be of the same, IMHO.
I can't imagine in the CVO brand, I would find any other CVO SG's with sloppy axial play in the levers.  What I found in mine would appear as normal to me and would have never guessed there are tolerances in this area.  I had a 13 Fatboy Lo prior to this and those levers felt no different to me either. 

Anyway, this whole concern is about a 3 adjustable levers that carry a cost in chrome of $305.   If they were $200 or less I wouldn't make this point.  I just feel at that price point, they should fit correctly and not require shims or washers to make them perfect.  Does that make sense?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »

Jerry,

I appreciate your perspective.  I guess I expect more from MoCo with respect to the CVO branding.  I work for a very high-end brand, BMW...  I look at the CVO brand the same as the BMW M brand or Motorsport.  It's a cut above the rest of the brand.  Custom Vehicle Operations is branded to be of the same, IMHO.
I can't imagine in the CVO brand, I would find any other CVO SG's with sloppy axial play in the levers.  What I found in mine would appear as normal to me and would have never guessed there are tolerances in this area.  I had a 13 Fatboy Lo prior to this and those levers felt no different to me either. 

Anyway, this whole concern is about a 3 adjustable levers that carry a cost in chrome of $305.   If they were $200 or less I wouldn't make this point.  I just feel at that price point, they should fit correctly and not require shims or washers to make them perfect.  Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense, and I have always felt the same way.  I just thought I'd explain the history.  And think about it this way; the folks making those levers have no control over the dimension of the perch you will be mounting them to, so they can't assure everyone there will be no play.  Tolerances being what they are from Harley, that's true of any company making accessories or replacement parts.  Hopefully yours will be fine.

Jerry

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »

It makes perfect sense, and I have always felt the same way.  I just thought I'd explain the history.  And think about it this way; the folks making those levers have no control over the dimension of the perch you will be mounting them to, so they can't assure everyone there will be no play.  Tolerances being what they are from Harley, that's true of any company making accessories or replacement parts.  Hopefully yours will be fine.

Jerry

That is an acceptable answer to the aftermarket company's product.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »

Before removing the stock levers I've checked the play. And there is a play on both stock levers, at the end of the lever about 0.3" in total. But in fact I don't care, why? Because by grabbing the lever you automatically apply down pressure on it, the result being that you never feel this play.

So, first try, than if this is not acceptable get a refund. Looking forward to have your feedback.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »

Before removing the stock levers I've checked the play. And there is a play on both stock levers, at the end of the lever about 0.3" in total. But in fact I don't care, why? Because by grabbing the lever you automatically apply down pressure on it, the result being that you never feel this play.

So, first try, than if this is not acceptable get a refund. Looking forward to have your feedback.

Spoke to Gary today at the company and he said the levers are same as stock.  I'm good with that.  He also said to remember to there is a removable sleeve in the pivot hole.  Have you noticed that?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »

Yes. There is two parts of the stock clutch lever to reuse with the Oberon clutch lever: the pin sleeve and the little pivot wheel you can see on the picture I've posted. Surprisingly there were no such part on the stock brake lever.

After thinking at it, as there is the adjustable mechanism it implies a bit more play than the stock lever. Well, test it and share your experience with us.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:36:56 PM by Lolo »

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »

Yes. There is two parts on the clutch lever to reuse on the Oberon clutch lever: the pin sleeve and the little pivot wheel you can see on the picture I've posted. Surprisingly there were no such part on the stock brake lever.

Gotcha.  It seems the clutch side is fairly easy to replace.  How was the brake side?  Does the switch housing have to come apart or just loosened a bit?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »

Yes you have to fully dismount on the brake side. Have a look at the tutorial video. I was able to manage that, so nothing to worry about  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:41:59 PM by Lolo »

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »

Finished the install.  Wasn't bad, but wasn't 10 minutes either.  Those C clips are tricky if your wear progressive lens glasses as I do.  Every time I move my head a little it gets blurry,   >:(
What I did notice is the new levers have a touch more axial play than stock but it's not bad.  The quality of the product is excellent and packaged well.   Here's a couple pics of it finished.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »

Clutch side.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »

So I just had a chance to try the clutch in a few positions.  I found it very easy to adjust the friction point.  #5 position seems to release around the mid-point of the lever travel, which is where I like it.  Brake lever was nice to adjust also but the real test is out on the road. 
I will even say I like to appearance of this custom lever over the stock.  Well done Oberon.  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »

Those C clips are tricky if your wear progressive lens glasses as I do.

Congrats on your install. Yes those C clips are a real pain even without lens, so the appropriate plier is a must.

Looks good on the bike  :2vrolijk_21:

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 07:54:48 AM »

Congrats on your install. Yes those C clips are a real pain even without lens, so the appropriate plier is a must.

Looks good on the bike  :2vrolijk_21:

I had the correct snap ring pliers but the position of looking up from the floor was awkward.  Didn't help that my eyes aren't what they used to be....
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

So I had a chance to ride the bike today.  What I noticed in the past is from Neutral, when I pull the clutch in, I hear the positive clunk of the 1st gear engaging.  Now, with the new levers, it no longer clunks into gear, it just sort of lightly clicks in.  It concerns me as I want to be sure I'm in gear.  Is this normal?  I can't imagine an adjustment.  I did try it on position 4 and 5 on the lever with the same result.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Demetri
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 25 queries.