Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEMS  (Read 28888 times)

hogasm

Re: CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEMS
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

You're starting to sound like me (and that should worry the heck out of you).  I find it totally amazing that H-D has so many issues with systems that have been extremely reliable for decades in the auto industry.  To give you an idea of why I get so pizzed with the constant problems, guess when the last time was that I had a car that required any kind of internal engine repair.  That would be the 1966 third hand VW I drove in college.  Thirty six years of owning and driving those "lousy" American cars everyone likes to dis, and not one internal failure of any drivetrain component.  Only one electronic module failure, and that was back in the early days of electronic ignitions.  One radio failure when the display quit.  My Harley has had more problems all by itself than all of my cars put together.  Really gives one the confidence and desire to go out and buy another one.

Jerry

Especially when we are riding on 2 wheels and not 4

hogasm

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

Here is my problem.......

Engage cruise........

Wait few seconds......

Hold on tight........

Bike takes off like scolded dog.......

Settles down.......5-10mph faster than set speed........

Gotta love cruise :2vrolijk_21:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

It probably thought you weren't going fast enough.  Figured if it kicked out you'd reset it a bit higher :nixweiss: ?

Of course I could be wrong.
You could be right, when it started working again it kicked in when I pushed the resume/accelerate . Every one has told me I'm a bit slow! :biggthumpup:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »

BIGDOG

That is exactly how my problem started.   The new Cruise control module fixed mine.  Like I said before even my green light works

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

BIGDOG

That is exactly how my problem started.   The new Cruise control module fixed mine.  Like I said before even my green light works
If this stuff keeps up I may have a BMW or Gold Wing in my touring future.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »

I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CRUISE ON MY 07 RKSE, THEY REPLACED MODULE ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO, IT WORKED 1 TIME ON WAY HOME I TOOK IT BACK SAME DAY THEY KEPT IN SHOP 2 WEEKS AND SAID IT WORKED EVERYTIME THEY RODE IT. I PICKED IT UP LAST WED. AGAIN WORKED 1 TIME ON WAY HOME. WE LEFT THURSDAY AM FOR NC H.O.G. RALLEY TRIED SEVERAL TIMES STILL DID NOT WORK, LEFT HICKORY NC FRIDAY AM, CRUISE WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD, WE MADE SEVERAL STOPS BETWEEN HICKORY AND SALISBURY THEN HEADED FOR CONCORD, AGAIN CRUISE WORKED, HAD IT SET AT 70 MPH THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE D%*#% THING TOOK OF ON ITS OWN I HAD TO SHUT IT OFF AT 82 MPH IT DONE THIS 2 OR 3 TIMES, THEN FROM THAT POINT ON (CONCORD TO KNOXVILLE) IT WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD. DEALER IS TRING TO PUT BLAME ON THE PCIII, I THINK JUST BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT.

07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »

BigDog,

Wow, I really had high hopes that the new "throttle by wire" would not have cruise control problems.....I guess this dashes that hope :-\

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »

BigDog,

Wow, I really had high hopes that the new "throttle by wire" would not have cruise control problems.....I guess this dashes that hope :-\
I really love my bike but HD needs to clean up there act. $ 30,000+ for a bike and A load of issues. I want to ride not keep going back to have it fixed.

se_glide

• '01 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

My cruise stopped working.  it was intermittent at times ...and now I get the light to turn green (Sometimes) but the cruise does not work.  When I touch the button to accelerate the light turns red.

Anyone know the fix???  Is it the Module??? :

TRY THIS FIRST!   It worked for me. I had the same intermittent symptoms. Eventually, as I was trying to diagnose this, I got to the connector between the module and the wiring to the module. Using my volt-ohm meter on the pins while cycling my handlebar switch, I found the handle bar cruise control engagement switch was not effectively making and breaking the circuit. This is essential for the module to know what you want. I disassembled the handle bar controls cover to expose the switch and remove it from the housing (the thumb knob will pull off with some gentle persuasion).
Here's the fix. Get some CRC 2-26 Plastic safe multi-purpose precision lubricant (Home Depot, electrical). This has the red tube to direct the spray.  You can't get the switch apart, but you can insert the tube in under the rubber boot where the lever comes out. Spray it good and hold the switch so gravity will help the lube seep into the switch. Cycle that switch about a hundred times to clean and lube the internal contacts. Mine worked like new after this treatment.
I figure I had some moisture corrosion from rain or washing. 2001 SERG. Good Luck.
I don't know where I'm at, but I know I'm not lost.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:43 PM »

This is exactly what happened to mine.  It was the Module.  Now everything works great including the green light

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »

This is exactly what happened to mine.  It was the Module.  Now everything works great including the green light
Well the bike go's in to the shop tomorrow. The cruse took a dump won't work at all and now I have the check engine light on with a P code error.I'm getting tired of this BS but I guess it's part of owning a Harley now a days. It's sad that they made a great bike for quite a while but now it's like AMF took over again. :beadyeyes2:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CRUISE ON MY 07 RKSE, THEY REPLACED MODULE ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO, IT WORKED 1 TIME ON WAY HOME I TOOK IT BACK SAME DAY THEY KEPT IN SHOP 2 WEEKS AND SAID IT WORKED EVERYTIME THEY RODE IT. I PICKED IT UP LAST WED. AGAIN WORKED 1 TIME ON WAY HOME. WE LEFT THURSDAY AM FOR NC H.O.G. RALLEY TRIED SEVERAL TIMES STILL DID NOT WORK, LEFT HICKORY NC FRIDAY AM, CRUISE WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD, WE MADE SEVERAL STOPS BETWEEN HICKORY AND SALISBURY THEN HEADED FOR CONCORD, AGAIN CRUISE WORKED, HAD IT SET AT 70 MPH THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE D%*#% THING TOOK OF ON ITS OWN I HAD TO SHUT IT OFF AT 82 MPH IT DONE THIS 2 OR 3 TIMES, THEN FROM THAT POINT ON (CONCORD TO KNOXVILLE) IT WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD. DEALER IS TRING TO PUT BLAME ON THE PCIII, I THINK JUST BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT.

SERK3,
Not to say the dealer may be right, but have you tried taking the PCIII out of the loop and running the bike to see how the cruise works?  I don't know why the PCIII would be the culprit, but you just never know these days.  :nixweiss:  Plus, if you take the PCIII off and you still have the problem, then the dealership can't blame it on the PCIII and they will have to fix the issue.  It's just too easy for them to pass problems off on a non-Harley part if they can't figure something out.  So don't give them that option as an excuse.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »

Reddevil,  You got another bad Module the way it sounds to me.. Take it back.  It sounds dangerous to me

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »

By the way...Make sure they check your cables

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »

Well the saga continues, MOCO told the tech to replace ECM to correct the cruise control problem, that did not do the trick. The tech has worked on it off and on for 4 days no luck. The service tech at Harley is going on vacation so they won't be working on the bike until he gets back.[that is not what I want to hear] I have to think that they have issues with there ECM'S and maybe I can get them to try another one today.Have a trip planned for the 1st of August so hopping to resolve ASAP. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 24 queries.