Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anybody running a semi-synthetic oil in their EVO?  (Read 10103 times)

RD Parrish

Anybody running a semi-synthetic oil in their EVO?
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:52 AM »

I was considering running Spectro Golden HD 20w-50 semi-synthetic oil in my 96 Road King. I am currently using BelRay gear saver hypoid 85w-140 in the tranny, made a huge difference in shifting.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Anybody running a semi-synthetic oil in their EVO?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »

RD Parrish, recently I had some work done on my 95 Heritage. They had to pull the oil tank so he replaced my Amsoil with Dino. I said why not synthetic and the tech said the seal between the barrel and the cases in Evo motors , if they still have the original parts , tend to wick synthetic  and then it looks like you have a leak which I guess you would at that point. However, I never had any issues when it was stock or after I put in the S&S 107. I didn't contradict him because he always does little extras for me that don't show up on the bill. I don' think your choice of oil will cause you any problems based on my experience. I have had the bike since new.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

RD Parrish

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

RD Parrish, recently I had some work done on my 95 Heritage. They had to pull the oil tank so he replaced my Amsoil with Dino. I said why not synthetic and the tech said the seal between the barrel and the cases in Evo motors , if they still have the original parts , tend to wick synthetic  and then it looks like you have a leak which I guess you would at that point. However, I never had any issues when it was stock or after I put in the S&S 107. I didn't contradict him because he always does little extras for me that don't show up on the bill. I don' think your choice of oil will cause you any problems based on my experience. I have had the bike since new.CAHDBIKER
So.........are you saying you have always run amsoil synthetic in youre bike since 1995?

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »

I ran it in a '98 Evo ('98 Anniversary FatBoy).  Wish I still had it!  The bike, not the oil!  :coolblue:  And I have run it in an '01 FLTRSEI2 and an '11 FLTRUSE since new.  Big believer in those "engineered" hydrocarbons!

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

Have used Mobil 1 20W-50 in my Softail since 1000mi oil change in 1999. Just short of 50,000mi. Have not noticed weeping gaskets, either.          JoeS

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »

Ran Mobil 1 exclusively in my '94 Heritage. 96K before 1st teardown. Sounds like his Mama told him the weeping story.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »

If you go back far enough in ancient synthetic oil history you will find some evidence of increased oil weeping.  Amsoil even admits to it. This was back in the day of poorly machined parts and simple paper gaskets that had a hard enough time containing heavy weight dino oil.  In the modern era of better part machining and gasket materials, the reality is that synthetics don't leak any more than dino.  However, the wive's tales persist.  You will still find "ace" mechanics in Harley shops for instance that swear synthetic oil will cause your roller bearings to skid, along with a host of other maladies.  It's kind of like how some people back in the day still believed the earth was flat long after science (and Columbus) proved them wrong.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »

Jerry, are you trying to tell us the earth isn't flat. I just ran off the edge the other day and ended up in a gold plated strip bar with free beer and you didn't have to tip. Oh wait that was just a dream. Seriously though I always appreciate your input and advice. CAHDBIKER

If you go back far enough in ancient synthetic oil history you will find some evidence of increased oil weeping.  Amsoil even admits to it. This was back in the day of poorly machined parts and simple paper gaskets that had a hard enough time containing heavy weight dino oil.  In the modern era of better part machining and gasket materials, the reality is that synthetics don't leak any more than dino.  However, the wive's tales persist.  You will still find "ace" mechanics in Harley shops for instance that swear synthetic oil will cause your roller bearings to skid, along with a host of other maladies.  It's kind of like how some people back in the day still believed the earth was flat long after science (and Columbus) proved them wrong.

Jerry

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

RD Parrish, I may have already answered this question before, but I ran HD Dino until about 35K. I let an indy shop do a service and they put in synthetic because they were out of HD Dino. I refused to pay the difference and they took it off the bill. I continued to run synthetic until about 60K when I had an S&S 107 installed. I run Amsoil straight 60WT in the 107  and have had no issues.CAHDBIKER

So.........are you saying you have always run amsoil synthetic in youre bike since 1995?

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

Always full synthetic (Mobil 1) in the '94 Road King.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »

Yes, I run Brad Penn SAE 50 Partial Synthetic in my S&S Evo. 

FXR4seattle

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »

Royal Purple. Love it! No issues at all!!

RD Parrish

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »

Ok.................I settled with Spectro Golden HD 20w-50 Semi-synthetic oil. Bel-Ray Gearsavor Hypoid 85w-140 Trans. And o'l fasion Harley primary+ formula primary oil. Spectro starts with Mobil virgin oil and batch their own additives with high Zinc and Prosphuras. Im running their Spectro 6 speed synthetic 85w-140 trans, and Spectro primary oil in my new 2013 CVO Roadglide. Still using Mobil 1 Vtwinn synthetic for motor. Thanks for all the input......................hats off to those who have ran full synthetic in EVO's.............proves the ol wives fable about skipping bearings and such. I had a brand new 1990 Superglide and I ran Slick 50 treatment. The bike would turn over several times in winter before starting, untill I filled with Slick 50 it never turned over in dead winter it just fired.........made a believer out of me. I have ran it in every new car Ive owned since.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »

I run Mobil 1 in both of my EVO's.  An 84 with 110K+ and a 2000 with 12K. 

Synthetic oil does not make base gaskets leak.  Early 80's gasket technology makes base gaskets leak.

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

Amsoil 20W-50 in both FXR Evolution motors here.  No weeping gaskets, or any other issues. 
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 8.4 seconds with 21 queries.