Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New HC (Australia): Paint Issues  (Read 2844 times)

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Streetglide (Hard Candy Mercury)
New HC (Australia): Paint Issues
« on: January 17, 2015, 02:18:13 AM »

:soapbox:

I ordered a HC Mercury street glide back in September here in Sydney, Australia. Well, I needn't have bothered. What a f#%^ing joke. Clear coat abraded, unpainted areas on front batwing; uneven flames on rear fender.

CVOs are pre-ordered here as only very few are allocated to such a small market. So the opportunity to look before you put a deposit down doesn't exist.

The dealer is being outstanding. And they are committed to replacing the parts. But my beef is with the MoCo. They are having a lend of us. Sending crap out that we pay $50,000 AUD for.

Harley-Davidson you suck. F$&k you.

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

Re: New HC (Australia): Paint Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:27:01 AM »

I apologise for my outburst. Maybe I'm being tired and emotional. But $50k is a serious amount of money here and I would have expected a fairly pristine motorcycle for that money.

That said, everything is relative. I'm sure once the parts are replaced it will be the way I expected it to be when I first ordered it.

Peace.

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »

WOW what a major pain ITA i feel for you mate, i hope my luck is a little better my bike is still four months away i really do hope that Harley have there crap sorted out by then. I don't know what i would do if it turned out to be a turd.
But knowing my luck and new vehicles, every one purchased has had issues, it almost turns you off buying new.
Hang in there mate once it is sorted you will forget about the hassles .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:24:42 PM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »

Thanks Skycat. You're right of course - it'll turn out fine I'm sure. I was a little hot headed when I wrote that first post because I'd just been shown the bike. Of all things there's an effing thumb print in the paint that has been clear coated over.

Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts. Ride safe :-)

mark

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »

You're not the only one complaining about paint problems on the HC Mercury.  Someone recently posted similar concerns, including uneven flames.  Makes you wonder if HD has reverted to the AMF era.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »

I apologise for my outburst. Maybe I'm being tired and emotional. But $50k is a serious amount of money here and I would have expected a fairly pristine motorcycle for that money.

That said, everything is relative. I'm sure once the parts are replaced it will be the way I expected it to be when I first ordered it.

Peace.

Hope you get the extended warranty.  :2vrolijk_21:

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »

You're not the only one complaining about paint problems on the HC Mercury.  Someone recently posted similar concerns, including uneven flames.  Makes you wonder if HD has reverted to the AMF era.

AMF,,,, God help us all i hope not.. :o
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »

The only thing I noticed on mine is that the lids are not painted all of the way on the bottom lip of the the you can only see with the lid open.  I looked at other standard touring bikes and a few of them had the same thing.  Other then that, the flames are even, and I haven't found anything else wrong.....and its on a J&S Jack and its winter here.....so I have really looked it over time and time again....that's all I can really do to it until spring.

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Mine also is missing just a little paint under the lip of the saddlebag, very minor. I just found a sticker that fell off the underside of the front fender onto the tire that says,
(FF Land Shark HC Mercury/Smoky Qrtz CVO) Also another sticker with it saying "Certified 100% inspected by Gunslinger custom paint by CC on 11/24" Looks like the people HD hires to paint lets quality slip too!

Philip

• CVO1: 2017 Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »

Just had saddle bag/speaker lid replaced for wrinkles in paint. Gunslinger is the vendor painting for HD. I think it's sad for the money we spend to have issues. One would think with two separate opportunities for inspection this wouldn't happen. Dealer didn't know Gunslinger was the painter until I showed them the "inspection" stickers. So much for premium service.....
HD has to know these bikes are defective when they send them out. No way such obvious defects would make it past QC unless they are aware or incompetent.  :soapbox:
2017 CVO Street Glide (Current)
2015 CVO Street Glide
2010 CVO Street Glide
2009 Softail Rocker

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

Any news about your bike, did Harley Australia come to the party ? how long for the emplacement parts.
I guess i am just getting prepared for when my bike arrives. I hope its a happy day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phantomxrt

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »

Harley-Davidson were less than impressive; tthey could not fathom that their precious brand might have delivered a faulty product.

But the dealer was magnificent. They ordered the parts immediately they found the faults, which they themselves were embarrassed about. They could see how abjectly disappointed I was and they even threw in some accessories. They have been just awesome to deal with.

I take delivery next Monday, but the new batwing is still six weeks away. So I still have a few rides yet where I can remind everybody who looks at the thing just how lowball Harley's quality control is.

My take on it is this. Harley-Davidson knows this paint quality is hopeless on a percentage of bikes. But rather than hold them up (and thus hold their cash flow up), they send the bikes out and simultaneously order a chitload of painted replacement parts from the painter, knowing that the orders for those will soon start flowing in from disgruntled customers like us.

It's the challenge of buying a premium product in fiscally prudent times I guess...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:03:38 PM by phantomxrt »

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.