Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Glad to have the ESP  (Read 16800 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Glad to have the ESP
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »

And that is exactly why I am considering an Indian or a Victory or a Gold Wing for my next new bike!

X2
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »

I have personally come to the conclusion if I have to buy a ESP because I know I am going to need it.
Than I had better rethink as why I am spending my money purchasing that product in the first place.  :nixweiss:

:2vrolijk_21:   Well, that's at least two of us now that have that opinion.

Since I'm officially older than dirt now, I shouldn't be amazed anymore by the things people say to justify why they do dumb things.  But I swear I can't follow the supposed logic of not only paying a higher price for a lesser product up front, but then paying another couple grand on top of that for "peace of mind" because that lesser product has the reliability of a Yugo.  The idiots who bought Yugo's learned their lesson and stopped buying that crap, which eventually lead to no more POS Yugo's.  On the other hand, we have the people who have admitted owning several Harley's that have had numerous failures both in and out of warranty, and they keep going back for more.  I'm sorry, but no matter how much I might like the "style" (I'm not buying into the "soul" crap) of a product, I'm not going to continually let the seller of that product sell me an overpriced low quality POS.  The only possible exception would be if the person selling it to me was a really hot supermodel. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:   Well, that's at least two of us now that have that opinion.

Since I'm officially older than dirt now, I shouldn't be amazed anymore by the things people say to justify why they do dumb things.  But I swear I can't follow the supposed logic of not only paying a higher price for a lesser product up front, but then paying another couple grand on top of that for "peace of mind" because that lesser product has the reliability of a Yugo.  The idiots who bought Yugo's learned their lesson and stopped buying that crap, which eventually lead to no more POS Yugo's.  On the other hand, we have the people who have admitted owning several Harley's that have had numerous failures both in and out of warranty, and they keep going back for more.  I'm sorry, but no matter how much I might like the "style" (I'm not buying into the "soul" crap) of a product, I'm not going to continually let the seller of that product sell me an overpriced low quality POS.  The only possible exception would be if the person selling it to me was a really hot supermodel. 

Jerry
Hmmmm.... wouldn't that be trading off one "high maintenance ride" for another? Just sayin'. :D :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »

Hmmmm.... wouldn't that be trading off one "high maintenance ride" for another? Just sayin'. :D :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And just how long have you been saving up that thought for just the right reply?   ::)
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »

And just how long have you been saving up that thought for just the right reply?   ::)
It was just to easy... it fit and was appropriate. :D :D :D

Like many guys I've test rode one of those "high maintenance" rides only to find out the "upkeep" was more than the "ride" was worth :( and it didn't come w/an ESP. :D :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »

Like many guys I've test rode one of those "high maintenance" rides only to find out the "upkeep" was more than the "ride" was worth :( and it didn't come w/an ESP. :D :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

.................Yup!
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

King2013

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's why I was more than happy to pay to be relieved of mine. 

mark

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »

The ESP dabate again.  Reminds me of the "which oil is better" threads.  Common sense tells us this type plan would not be offered if the seller paid out more than they collect in premiums.  So, no matter how many anecdotal examples that are posted, the reality is that ESPs are advantageous to the seller, not the buyers. 

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »

The ESP dabate again.  Reminds me of the "which oil is better" threads.  Common sense tells us this type plan would not be offered if the seller paid out more than they collect in premiums.  So, no matter how many anecdotal examples that are posted, the reality is that ESPs are advantageous to the seller, not the buyers.

If you ride the bike more than 12k a year then I would say that the advantage is to the buyer not the seller....(it a harley and if you ride it...it will break).

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »

I'm starting to think the dealers around here double dip on the ESP's.  They tell the owner its not covered because of xyz, so the owner pays and I just wonder if the ESP gets a bill too.
Only way to make the ESP really pay everytime is to leave the bike totally stock and who does that?  Cams, tuner, forget about getting a new engine under an ESP.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 01:25:36 AM »

I'm starting to think the dealers around here double dip on the ESP's.  They tell the owner its not covered because of xyz, so the owner pays and I just wonder if the ESP gets a bill too.
Only way to make the ESP really pay everytime is to leave the bike totally stock and who does that?  Cams, tuner, forget about getting a new engine under an ESP.
Thats warranty/insurance fraud. If true service mgr and GM if caught would become a large mans Mrs...
Kinda where the term "felony stupid" comes from.
Probably not doing that but we do have the largest prison per capita population in the world..
Alan

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 11:04:18 PM »

Manufacturers love to sell ESP. I  have read the whole thread, I think that ESP might be a good value for resell purpose. Might be easier to sell the bike if still under warranty.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »

I have never purchased an ESP on the 5 new bikes that I bought. So far other than 1 stator I have had no problems after the factory warranty ran out. But since joining this forum I am scared chitless that this new bike, the most expensive one to date, is going to leave me stranded one day.

How many 110's were sold in 2013? By reading on here one would think that everyone one of them has blown up! Mine has 22K on it and has been a very good engine and bike.

I have had two failed 110 motor bikes now.  First failed the day after I traded it, with 46K miles on it, it was just over two years old an 09 SERG.  The second failed 300 mies from home, on my first day of vacation headed to Bikes Blues and BBQ.  It was a 2015 SERGU with 43K on it, 2 years and 12 days old.  My 12 SERG had no issues when I traded it with 45K at 2.5 years old.

In 15 I was out in OR with some friends on our bikes.  My buddies 2014 CVO Limited lifters failed over 2300 miles from home. 

I know another 15 SERGU that had a motor replaced before 35K miles and 2 years of age.

Both my bikes were very good bikes.  Loved them, trouble free until the lifters failed. 

I have never had an ESP
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

Well, I have to toss my opinion in here. I ride my motorcycle, not as much as some but more than others. I have a 2009 FLTRSE3 which had a catastrophic engine failure with 83,696 miles on it w/ SEPRT, D and D Fat Cat 2 into 1 Exhaust. The damage was so bad it needed engine cases which means VIN stamping to go along with the engine rebuild. I extended the ESP w/ tire and wheel for 1899. for 3 years, 6 months earlier because, unlike others on this site I don't have the money to buy another bike and want to continue to ride.

The initial ESP cost when the motorcycle was purchased paid for itself in tires and minor repairs; the extended (3 year) ESP covered itself by $4440. since the bill for motor rebuild was $6389. and I still have 29 months of coverage. Also, I received a tire in Arizona under the ESP for $50.

If this is throwing money away, I need what I consider more things like this to throw money away at, because I consider anything with a return like this an investment; and this investment went quite well. Just my opinion from my pre judged and lived experience.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »

Well, I have to toss my opinion in here. I ride my motorcycle, not as much as some but more than others. I have a 2009 FLTRSE3 which had a catastrophic engine failure with 83,696 miles on it w/ SEPRT, D and D Fat Cat 2 into 1 Exhaust. The damage was so bad it needed engine cases which means VIN stamping to go along with the engine rebuild. I extended the ESP w/ tire and wheel for 1899. for 3 years, 6 months earlier because, unlike others on this site I don't have the money to buy another bike and want to continue to ride.

The initial ESP cost when the motorcycle was purchased paid for itself in tires and minor repairs; the extended (3 year) ESP covered itself by $4440. since the bill for motor rebuild was $6389. and I still have 29 months of coverage. Also, I received a tire in Arizona under the ESP for $50.

If this is throwing money away, I need what I consider more things like this to throw money away at, because I consider anything with a return like this an investment; and this investment went quite well. Just my opinion from my pre judged and lived experience.
I agree.  ESP has more than paid for itself on my '07 and my '12 CVOs with the 110 motor.  I never buy them for any other product but imo they are a must for H-Ds if you plan to ride and keep them beyond the factory warranty.

BTW there is no deductible for Wheel & Tire - unless H-D has changed the contract since I bought the one for my '12.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:01:04 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 25 queries.