Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Front Fairing Screw Holes Possibly Stripping Out...  (Read 8402 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Front Fairing Screw Holes Possibly Stripping Out...
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »

I've had my front fairing off my '09 SERG so many times that on the last reinstall I think one of the screws were about to strip out.

Is there a fix for this?

Possibly taking a strip of plastic and sliding in the hole before putting in the screw?  I know this is a TPO plastic but I was thinking that any HDPE, like a detergent bottle would work.  Maybe cut it just so it is as wide as the hole and slide it in.  I don't think I would actually want to plug the hole as this might split the fairing screw hole and that would be a bad thing.

So, what's the word on fixes, if any?

:'(  :'(  :'(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: Front Fairing Screw Holes Possibly Stripping Out...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »

I've got one like that also. Can't wait for a good answer.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »

How about trying a plastic anchor like is used on sheetrock?
kb

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »

OK, do this where there's plenty of fresh air  -  but no breeze.  Lay the outer fairing down screw holes face up.  Get a plain old used up BIC pen & remove the ink tube.  Light one end of the pen barrel with a lighter (use a BIC if you like irony).  The barrel will begin to smoke & melt.  Carefully drop 2 - 4 drops in the worn out hole.  Let cool.  Redrill the hole with an undersize drill bit.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »

Rimjam's solution seems logical.  I'd recommend carefully masking the hole.  Just a thought... but could you not use a slightly thicker (but not longer) screw?   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »

Harley has part to repair this it's a replaceable insert with threads on the outside as well as the inside. I think they intend for the slots to be used with a screwdriver to install them,  part # 16585-96

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:18:31 PM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

Harley has part to repair this it's a replaceable insert with threads on the outside as well as the inside. I think they intend for the slots to be used with a screwdriver to install them,  part # 16585-96

Thanks, I have the same problem. It comes from not aligning the outer with the inner properly before installing the screws or over tightening said screws.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »

The best way to fix this (in my opinion) Is to remove the fairing and fill the stripped holes with a high quality plastic weld / epoxy. Then redrill the holes out for the same screws. I have found that its best to drill a small (1/16") hole at the base of the screw boss perpendicular to the screw hole first. This allows the epoxy to get all the way down into the hole as the air can escape when putting the epoxy in.

JackLINY48

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »

I have a solution that I have used on my 2001 FLTRSE2 and it seems to work great!  After years of taking off the fairing, some of the screws were getting stripped. I cut small pieces of regular bailing wire maybe 1/4 inch long.  Make sure the piece of wire fits into the screw hole without protruding past the top of the hole.  Slide the small piece of wire into the screwhole and install your screw. The slight diameter of the bailing wire makes up more than enough slack in the hole to compensate for the stripped threads.  I have had luck with this method for a few years, the screws tighten up well...no problems as of yet.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »

The best way to fix this (in my opinion) Is to remove the fairing and fill the stripped holes with a high quality plastic weld / epoxy. Then redrill the holes out for the same screws. I have found that its best to drill a small (1/16") hole at the base of the screw boss perpendicular to the screw hole first. This allows the epoxy to get all the way down into the hole as the air can escape when putting the epoxy in.

Boy, it seems that lots of us have this problem...  :(  :(  :(

Now that I've thought this through and have read the replies, we need to look at two different types of repairs.

1st fix type:
Temporarily tighten up a screw in the fairing as it's going back together.  This can be done a number of ways listed above, wire in the hole, HDPE narrow strip into hole etc.  This will get the fairing in place and hold it until the next time it's removed.

2nd fix type:
You're pulling the fairing off for something and you have time to plan and take the necessary steps to do a more permanent repair.  If it's just a slightly stripped out hole like most of us seem to have, I would lean towards filling the hole with something that does not break, like hard epoxy might do.  Something softer like the Bic pen dripped into the hole might make me happy, but getting anything to actually bond to the plastic is very hard to do.  The best we can hope for is a mechanical bond or adhesion within the hole.  The threads from the screw in the TPO (thermo plastic olefin) screw hole will work for the mechanical bonding.

IF YOU'RE DRILLING OUT THE HOLE AFTERWARDS, PLEASE TAKE CARE AND DO NOT OVER DRILL THE DEPTH.

I either use a short drill bit that can be sunk into the chuck so I only leave out the needed length, or I use a 1/4" socket that I slide the drill bit through and the drill bit adjusted to be just longer than the socket length and you cannot over drill the depth of the hole.  Sometimes I still think I can use just enough force to drill something and booooom, it catches and comes out the other side, so be forewarned, do not over drillllllllll.

I'm not sure what HD has to offer, I did not look up the part number given above, but it sounds like they've had problems and came out with a repair for the stripped hole.

Thanks again to all the great comments and suggestions.  I'm sure more will be coming soon.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

IF YOU'RE DRILLING OUT THE HOLE AFTERWARDS, PLEASE TAKE CARE AND DO NOT OVER DRILL THE DEPTH.

If not we will know who you are by the nut on the front of the fairing.  LOL
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

If not we will know who you are by the nut on the front of the fairing.  LOL

But it will sure hold good!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »

This works for me. Fill striped hole with JB weld, Take the screw and coat it with Dielectric grease, screw the screw in the filled hole and let set up for a few hours, unscrew the screw and file of the extra JB weld and you now have a repaired hole.  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »

This works for me. Fill striped hole with JB weld, Take the screw and coat it with Dielectric grease, screw the screw in the filled hole and let set up for a few hours, unscrew the screw and file of the extra JB weld and you now have a repaired hole.  Doc

...hey we are on the same page only I wrapped the screw with teflon plummers tape.  otherDoc

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:41:14 AM »

...hey we are on the same page only I wrapped the screw with teflon plummers tape.  otherDoc

That would work also, will give that a try next time.  Thanks Doc
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.