Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding Horse Power to an EVO  (Read 6148 times)

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
Adding Horse Power to an EVO
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »

What are the different ways any of you here have added horsepower to a stock EVO? With out a rebuild. Just add ons. New Carbs, pipes...etc. Just curious. I have an 87 and am currently working on a few things...new carb (S&S) New ignition (MSD). I know there has to be tons of ways to squeeze a bit more out of these motors.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:40:58 PM by MrFeexit »
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Adding Horse Power to an EVO
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »

What are the different ways any of you here have added horsepower to a stock EVO? With out a rebuild. Just add ons. New Carbs, pipes...etc. Just curious. I have an 87 and am currently working on a few things...new carb (S&S) New ignition (MSD). I know there has to be tons of ways to squeeze a bit more out of these motors.

it depends on how far you want to go. You can just add cams. You can do headwork too. You can change pistons and raise compression. You can tear the bottom apart and put a bigger leg in it! Depends on what you're trying to achieve! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »

Taking a Evo to Stage 1 is completely bolt-on:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdbuildstage1.htm

Beyond that, read the further stages on nightrider's website.  A lot of good info there.

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

Thanks a bunch! Perfect info. I have the SS carb and a Kuryakn hypercharger being tweaked at the Rosholt bike shop right now and am interested to see how it will perform.
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

elvislee

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »

Thanks a bunch! Perfect info. I have the SS carb and a Kuryakn hypercharger being tweaked at the Rosholt bike shop right now and am interested to see how it will perform.

Hey MrFeexit...So how is your 87 EVO doing? Just a bit curious or is it done yet?  :2vrolijk_21:

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:24:17 AM »

Hell no! I'm a cabinet builder/carpenter and I am in the process of moving my shop. My current shop is and has been for 11 years my garage. We actually moved most of the big tools to the new place yesterday...in 0 degree weather thank you very much, and we are doing some wiring, lighting and shelf building today. Once we have that done, one side of my garage will be dedicated to "the build". I do have my springer forks, my carb and hypercharger...they look really sweet. The guy from Rosholt Cycle is going to a builders convention and is getting my forward controls figured out. Probably JayBrake J series. We may actually do a belt drive with the brake rotor on the same side to show the new spoked wheels better. Time wise I'm not too worried...winter stays a long time in central WI.
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

elvislee

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

Hell no! I'm a cabinet builder/carpenter and I am in the process of moving my shop. My current shop is and has been for 11 years my garage. We actually moved most of the big tools to the new place yesterday...in 0 degree weather thank you very much, and we are doing some wiring, lighting and shelf building today. Once we have that done, one side of my garage will be dedicated to "the build". I do have my springer forks, my carb and hypercharger...they look really sweet. The guy from Rosholt Cycle is going to a builders convention and is getting my forward controls figured out. Probably JayBrake J series. We may actually do a belt drive with the brake rotor on the same side to show the new spoked wheels better. Time wise I'm not too worried...winter stays a long time in central WI.

Well HELL man; good deal...Your staying busy between the shop, your work, and the FXR...Jeez; you don't have time to be cold  ;D

Keep us up on how that things going and when ya get a chance to get out in all that sunshine up there; send us a few pics  ;D Crap man...Send some pics of what ya got right now so we can envision with ya what your doing with that SpringerFXR  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »

Will Do! Thanks for asking about it. Trust me I will take a lot of pics, before during and after. The HyperCharger to the S&S carb was a tricky match up. The Hypercharger is made for a twin cam... but it's all figured out now.
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

Rock solid, tried and true build on those is an EV-27 or Wood 6.
Minor head work, either a CV, Mik, or S&S E, something as simple as slip-on mufflers, and a tune.
This will easily roll out 75-80 hp and 85-90 ft/lbs.
Must have done over 75-100 of these over the years.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.