Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.  (Read 21651 times)

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2,3,4 shocks--substitute.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

Mike, found these shocks and want your opinion as to if they seem to be the same as on your Fxr2 and the 3's ( I know the 4's are chrome collars) but are the 2/3's like these.

Yes, those appear to be stock FXR2/3 shocks.  Notice they have 9 visible coils.  The ones I discussed above at the start of this thread for Sportsters have 11 visible coils, but of a slightly smaller wire diameter. 

He says they are 12" eye to eye and the bushing (Stud mounting) holes are 1/2".

The 12" from eye to eye would be the correct stock length for a FXR2.  I presume the length would have been the same for FXR3/s and your 4, but I can't swear to it.

Just want your opinion if I'm on to something here or not...Thanks...Blaine...Oh, he wants $150.00 + $15.00 3 day shipping...

I read your reason for replacing yours--peeling chrome.  On the one hand, $150 for new Fox shocks is a good price (if they are in fact never used, NOS), but if you want chrome shock caps, you should consider what I did in the first thread--looking for the chrome Fox shocks for Sportsters.  I haven't shopped for them in a while, but at the time there were numerous sets on ebay for less than $150 and you get the chrome look of your originals.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:37:12 AM by RedFXR2 »

elvislee

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:22 AM »

Hey Mike, thanks for your input and yes I considered the Sportster shocks as you discussed. Ya know, it's not so much having the chrome as it is just having a CLEAN look. If I can get rid of the peeling chrome, still have the stock/clean look by using these I'm looking at then I think I am going with these and like I said just at some point have my cap on my chrome ones rechromed and box em up for a later day. If Mikey is correct; my stock chromes only have 10k so that would leave 40k left on em (plenty left) and I'll just keep them for backup...Thanks for your help man...Blaine
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:35:54 AM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

at some point have my cap on my chrome ones rechromed and box em up for a later day. If Mikey is correct; my stock chromes only have 10k so that would leave 40k left on em (plenty left) and I'll just keep them for backup...

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.

Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

If you do figure out how to dismantle them, be sure to post some photos.  I'd like to know how.

elvislee

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

If you do figure out how to dismantle them, be sure to post some photos.  I'd like to know how.

Well Mike...I' pretty damn sure if you didn't figure it out then You could most likely bet the wifee, house, and kids that I won't. Seriously I had just hoped it could be done but with your experience here I guess I may have problems in that area. Maybe take them and find a place that can dismantel them. Might better I do a bit more homework huh. ;D So, if it comes to the point if there is no rechome in the equation then my choices fall to 1. Buying these I'm looking at and no chrome but have stock 2/3/ shocks 2. Go the Sportster route and have chrome not stock (Unless these look like our stock with the grooved top caps) 3. Keep looking for a set of Fox chrome like my stock...................uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Have ta let ya know....Thanks man  :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »

The 12" from eye to eye would be the correct stock length for a FXR2.  I presume the length would have been the same for FXR3/s and your 4, but I can't swear to it.

Yes, the 2/3/4 are all stock at 12"

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

2. Go the Sportster route and have chrome not stock (Unless these look like our stock with the grooved top caps)

With the the exception of the number of visible coils of the springs and the wire diameter of the spring material, the are the same Fox shocks (caps, anyway) as stock.  These are on ebay right now, although at $380 they're not the bargain I found last year.  Could just be patient and see if any show up cheaper.

I would also mention that even if you can dismantle your shocks, it will cost something to have them chromed.  You might factor that cost into your decision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Genuine-Harley-Chrome-Profile-Rear-Shocks-Fox-54728-01_W0QQitemZ150314401546QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150314401546&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:23:17 AM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »

More ebay:  At $310, this is better than the first set I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-PROFILE-LOW-REAR-SUSPENSION--54728-01_W0QQitemZ330278630476QQcmdZViewItem

Even better on recent (Date: 2009-01-18) craigslist ad: Says they’re brand new in the box-$150

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/997753931.html

elvislee

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

With the the exception of the number of visible coils of the springs and the wire diameter of the spring material, the are the same Fox shocks (caps, anyway) as stock.  These are on ebay right now, although at $380 they're not the bargain I found last year.  Could just be patient and see if any show up cheaper.

I would also mention that even if you can dismantle your shocks, it will cost something to have them chromed.  You might factor that cost into your decision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Genuine-Harley-Chrome-Profile-Rear-Shocks-Fox-54728-01_W0QQitemZ150314401546QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150314401546&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Ok..the Sportster shocks do look like ours as you say (except for spring count) I'll look around some more at these and see if I can find at the $150 range..Thanks Mike  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

A couple of things:  Before I went looking for new shocks, I intended to have the end caps on mine chromed, but there's no obvious way to dismantle them without damage.  Maybe you can figure out how to take the caps off and then re-assemble them without ruining the shocks but I couldn't.

Also, I'd be surprised if you get 50K out of  set of shocks.  My whole adventure on shocks began when mine seemed to be bouncy at 21K.  They had definitely lost some damping ability.  The difference was especially obvious when I installed the new shocks.  Now, I have no idea what shape your originals are in at 10K but I would think they would not yet be as soft as mine were at 21K, so you may be right about having life left in them.  But now we're back to the re-chroming thing.

I'm just stating my experiences .... not trying to start anything

I have over 27K miles on my stock rear shocks on my FXR4.  It is my current opinion, based on past experiences with riding skooters for the past 35 years, that I still have 15+ thousand miles of life in those shocks.

Now, having said that  ... I do set the pre-load on the heavy side, because I like to have the bike STICK in the twisties and high speed connering.  I VERY RARELY set the pre-load on a 'soft' setting.  I have no idea if that has anything to do with the longevity of the shock or not.

Also, having said that .... Do I think that I would be able to tell a difference in the ride, and MAYBE, the handling if I installed new Progressive 440's   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
Sure, I bet I'd notice a difference.  However, having said that .... I do not feel that my ride or bike handling is compromised by the shocks that are on the bike today with 27K miles on them....... could be better, SURE, necessary, not at this time in my opinion.....
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:17 PM »

I'm just stating my experiences .... not trying to start anything
I have over 27K miles on my stock rear shocks on my FXR4.  It is my current opinion, based on past experiences with riding skooters for the past 35 years, that I still have 15+ thousand miles of life in those shocks.

Now, having said that  ... I do set the pre-load on the heavy side, because I like to have the bike STICK in the twisties and high speed connering.  I VERY RARELY set the pre-load on a 'soft' setting.  I have no idea if that has anything to do with the longevity of the shock or not.

Also, having said that .... Do I think that I would be able to tell a difference in the ride, and MAYBE, the handling if I installed new Progressive 440's   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
Sure, I bet I'd notice a difference.  However, having said that .... I do not feel that my ride or bike handling is compromised by the shocks that are on the bike today with 27K miles on them....... could be better, SURE, necessary, not at this time in my opinion.....

No worries here Mikey...It don't matter to me anyway. If I get 50,40,30k. As much as I ride my bike I might could get 50k out of em. My main deal is to just get rid of the friggin peeling chrome on that one right rear shock of mine and figuring how to do it when our shock are obsolete. Mike (RedFxr2) as usual submits excellent info and reasoning in these discussions and helped me realize some things I hadn't thought of. My intentions were to find chrome stock Fox Fxr4 shocks to replace mine with; the chances of that happening after searching for a bit over 2 years seems to be nil. So, to go with the chrome Sportster style shocks like he got or to get the stock not chromed Fxr2/3 shocks I can get now if I want. As I said the chrome is not that much of an issue as is the clean look of the shock I choose. My thinking now is to go Sportswear chrome Fox not stock but the look of stock shock or the stock not chrome 2/3 shock...Got two days to decide...Let ya know then  :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

Well..... I don't need to decide anymore; just ordered these and I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:22 AM »

Well..... I don't need to decide anymore; just ordered these and I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm happy with my choice  :2vrolijk_21:

That right there is the ONLY THING THAT COUNTS !!!

Congrats to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »

Blaine....

Have you made a decision on those shocks.....they look just like mine on my FXR2.....you should be able to go through the FXR2, FXR3, and FXR4 photo THREAD and verify blowing up any photo that will give you a better idea of the 2's and 3's shocks.....but they certainly look right to me.....and yes I believe our shocks are 12".

Do shocks get old "laying" around in a box....I mean do they have seals that can dry up?  I don't know, just askin....

They look great.....Blaine if you don't want them lol.....maybe I would be interested....I am glad you found them however...2 years is a lot of hunting!

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:35:05 AM by FXR2evo99 »

elvislee

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »

Blaine....

Have you made a decision on those shocks.....they look just like mine on my FXR2.....you should be able to go through the FXR2, FXR3, and FXR4 photo THREAD and verify blowing up any photo that will give you a better idea of the 2's and 3's shocks.....but they certainly look right to me.....and yes I believe our shocks are 12".

Do shocks get old "laying" around in a box....I mean do they have seals that can dry up?  I don't know, just askin....

They look great.....Blaine if you don't want them lol.....maybe I would be interested....I am glad you found them however...2 years is a lot of hunting!

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim....Called the guy tonight and he's sending them out tomorrow. These are the ones I was tellin you about on the phone the other day.

Yes, all our shocks on the 2/3/4 are 12"

Don't know if they dry up layin around or not...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :nixweiss:  ;D

Look forward to gettin em and getting the peeling one off  :2vrolijk_21:

Gotta figure out how to do that now. The SM is not to helpful. Looked at the bike tonight and getting the bottom bolts off will be no problem but gotta figure how to get the top mount bolts out/off. Just glanced at it so will look more carfully tomorrow  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »

Thanks Tim....Called the guy tonight and he's sending them out tomorrow. These are the ones I was tellin you about on the phone the other day.

Yes, all our shocks on the 2/3/4 are 12"

Don't know if they dry up layin around or not...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :nixweiss:  ;D

Look forward to gettin em and getting the peeling one off  :2vrolijk_21:

Gotta figure out how to do that now. The SM is not to helpful. Looked at the bike tonight and getting the bottom bolts off will be no problem but gotta figure how to get the top mount bolts out/off. Just glanced at it so will look more carfully tomorrow  :2vrolijk_21:

Blaine ... that's NO PROBLEM .... you'll see the nut on the outside of the shock ... you put a wrench on the nut on the inside of the fender, put a wrechet on the nut on the shock and take it off.  You'll be able to pull the bolt right out .... 

You'll have a HARDER time putting it back on !!!  I've had mine off twice, getting that dayum nut on inside the fender is a beoutch .... well, I put an oversized tire on mine, so it's even tighter !!

nutin to it man .... CALL ME if you need help !!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 24 queries.