Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Tires for my FLHRSE4  (Read 18790 times)

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
Tires for my FLHRSE4
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

Of done a search here on the internet and on another forum and I am not seeing the D407 tires any where but at dealers. This was even posted in another thread here. So, are there any alternatives for purchase of the same tire or another kind of tire. Same size seems to be very important for ABS! Looks like Avon makes the Venom R that has the correct front, but a 180/60R17 instead of the 170/60R17 which would be wider correct?? I wonder if Zanotti or the other discount internet places sell these? I will have to check...... Will need ones in about 1K and it is weird that it looks like I need both, usually I can do two backs for every front - at least that was on my 03 Heritage????

vagabond6542

Re: Tires for my FLHRSE4
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »

Of done a search here on the internet and on another forum and I am not seeing the D407 tires any where but at dealers. This was even posted in another thread here. So, are there any alternatives for purchase of the same tire or another kind of tire. Same size seems to be very important for ABS! Looks like Avon makes the Venom R that has the correct front, but a 180/60R17 instead of the 170/60R17 which would be wider correct?? I wonder if Zanotti or the other discount internet places sell these? I will have to check...... Will need ones in about 1K and it is weird that it looks like I need both, usually I can do two backs for every front - at least that was on my 03 Heritage????

The ABS can be contributing to the both being replaced.
And you are correct the 180/60R17 is wider and taller. That would change the speedo and odo.
What is the mileage on the tires??
I hope this helped.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »

As best I can tell this is a dealer only item, still not listed anywhere else that I can find.

P/N 41998-07  D407 170/60R17
Zanotti: $136.00 + 15.71 Ship = $151.71
Surdyke: $134.36 + 8.06 Ship = $142.42 (shipping is for my zip code and will vary slightly depending on distance from dealer)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:34 PM »

I have a bit over 6K on the bike and like I said probably another 1K or so on the tires.
Thanks for the replies!
The best price I could find on both was Chicago HD The part # listed above for the rear is correct

rear 41998-07 170/60R17.....134.36
front 4199-07A 130/70R18....138.36

Plus 15 shipping is 287.72

Zanotti was close at 295.60

Surdyke did not list the front tire

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »

Whats the skinny on tire plugs? Picked up a nail a few days ago, rear tire just a little off center...a friend came by with a professional plug kit and fixed it. half the people I talk with say a plug is fine the other half say replace. I am choosing to replace, although I do believe it may have been fine..have 6K on them 08 SERK. Just curious what our groups thoughts are?
Dean

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »

Whats the skinny on tire plugs? Picked up a nail a few days ago, rear tire just a little off center...a friend came by with a professional plug kit and fixed it. half the people I talk with say a plug is fine the other half say replace. I am choosing to replace, although I do believe it may have been fine..have 6K on them 08 SERK. Just curious what our groups thoughts are?
Dean
Replace it. You've only got two tires keeping your @$$ off the asphalt why chance cutting that by 50%. Better to be safe and ride another day. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »

No way I'd run with a plug, but a patch, done from the inside should be OK.  Then again, you'll have all the labor involved with a tire change to do that and still have a compromised tire on your bike.  Bottom line is: Do you want to ride around wondering if your plug/patch is going to last through your next ride, or have the peace of mind a $125 tire will give you?

vagabond6542

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »

No way I'd run with a plug, but a patch, done from the inside should be OK.  Then again, you'll have all the labor involved with a tire change to do that and still have a compromised tire on your bike.  Bottom line is: Do you want to ride around wondering if your plug/patch is going to last through your next ride, or have the peace of mind a $125 tire will give you?

Last time I checked the rear cost about $152.00. The next question should be, "Would sell your life for $152.00?"
I would change the tire. :2vrolijk_21:

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »

I've also just found a screw in the rear D407 and I'm having a new tyre fitted this week. The tyre has done 7K and I'm of to Spain next week so replacement is a no-brainer. I would not consider a repair regardless however. The local dealer is doing the work and the retail on the tyre is approx £150 ($288) over this side of the pond. I'm suprised that there are no tyre shops that supply the D407 stateside, I had no problem in finding some over here - www.justdunlop.co.uk quotes the D407 @ £99.95 ($190), but I'm not brave enough to turn up at the dealers with the tyre under my arm and asking them to fit it  ??? I notice Justdunlop quote the D407 for Softails - so they're not perfect!

Softail_Al

vagabond6542

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

I've also just found a screw in the rear D407 and I'm having a new tyre fitted this week. The tyre has done 7K and I'm of to Spain next week so replacement is a no-brainer. I would not consider a repair regardless however. The local dealer is doing the work and the retail on the tyre is approx £150 ($288) over this side of the pond. I'm suprised that there are no tyre shops that supply the D407 stateside, I had no problem in finding some over here - www.justdunlop.co.uk quotes the D407 @ £99.95 ($190), but I'm not brave enough to turn up at the dealers with the tyre under my arm and asking them to fit it  ??? I notice Justdunlop quote the D407 for Softails - so they're not perfect!

Softail_Al

I have been on the Dunlop site.
Your rear tire size is 170/60R17. You should be able to go to any tire store for that size tire.
You are a little more expense across the pond.
Good luck. :2vrolijk_21:

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:16:53 PM »

" have been on the Dunlop site.
Your rear tire size is 170/60R17. You should be able to go to any tire store for that size tire.
You are a little more expense across the pond."

Am I missing something here? I thought it was the Dunlop D407 170/60R 17 you were having problems finding other than at a H-D dealership???

Confused :(...again!

Softail_Al

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »

Good luck getting these tires anywhere but the dealer. I had a good friend who runs and indy shop look high and low for me - so I could pay him for them rather than Harley.... but no....OEM only bought them on line at Chicago HD. Had my friend install. If you do find them else where I would like to know where.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

The front D407 rides like a pile of dog crap compared to the original E3, which has been discontinued in favor of that POS D407. Will be switching to Metzler radials. They make our rear size, but have to switch to 60 series front instead of the stock 70 series. I don't see that mattering, and there's plenty of room for a little wider tire in the stock fender. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Thanks gang...bikes in the shop today...$148 for the tire ($174.95 less MVP 15% discount) and $127.50 labor..1 1/2@ $85 per.   It is a no brainer just had to go thru my process...was less of a money thing that the inconvienience of the back and forth to Harley, hoping they don't screw anything else up, and making sure they put a good mechanic on it  after all I am paying full labor. I hate taking my bike back on redo's. Any recommendations on a professional plug kit just to have as a temporary fix?  A friend plugged mine.Thanks. Dean

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »

This is what I carry on my '07 SERK. Quality seems to be there but I've yet to try the plugs/plugging tool. Somewhat pricey.

leoniru

The new ADVENTURE model of the CyclePump is now included in the Combo Package.  This version has added powering options, a longer air hose, a second power cord for emergency automotive use, a redesigned aluminum case with folding legs, and many more features.
We've combined our 3 most popular tire products into one convenient kit, called the "Adventure Combo Package".  Ordered separately these items would be $157, but  combined, the products all together come to only $150. With the Adventure Combo Package you'll be ready for any tire problem, anytime, anywhere in the world.

order from    pashnit.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.