Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Gerbings, I will listen to experience  (Read 14196 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Gerbings, I will listen to experience
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

Getting ready to pop for the heated gear. Leaning towards liners all the way. Gloves, Jacket, Pants. I thought this might be the way to go as I could then wear all my old favorite garments. Mistake? Where's JCZ when you need him? Thanks for bringing me up on this topic.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Gerbings, I will listen to experience
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

Heated gear is simply the best money you will ever spend on motorcycling.

I've had my Gerbing's stuff for about 5 years now.  I run a jacket liner, G3 gloves, Extreme Element overpants, and insoles.  Until very recently I used their dual controller.  I've ridden for hours in temperatures in the mid-teens.  I've ridden for hours in a 40 degree rain.  There's simply no more "too cold to ride".  The stuff has a lifetime warranty, and the Gerbing's brand is available everywhere, meaning you can generally find their stuff when you're out on the road (should that become necessary).

With that said, the Powerlet wireless controller is the shiznit.  It is far and away more convenient, even though it looks like Powerlet went out of their way to make sure you couldn't put the transceiver into a Gerbing's liner pocket.  Similarly, their jacket liner is very nice, and is getting good reviews. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »

While the overpants are bulky, I prefer them over the pant liners.  I don't want the heated liner material next to the skin.  When you arrive somewhere and may be inside for a while, it's much easier to remove the overpant and be comfortable.

I use the jacket liner and gloves the most.  Occasionally I'll use the boot insoles.  I sold my heated overpants and have been using a pair of FXRG leather overpants which have been fine to around 35-40.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »

After 40+ years riding Mrs R and I finally decided to try a heated jacket liner. She hasn't got to try hers but I have and I can tell you it feels like taking a warm blanket out of the dryer and wrapping around you. Absolute heaven. I think back of the early years when I would ride in the 20's and take several hours to thaw back out. Now I kick myself for not getting these years ago. I started out with the vest but the material at the shoulders, kind of like sweater type material was to bulky when I put my leather jacket on. I thought it would have been the reverse. Anyway the jacket liner does squish down so it fit under my leather no problem.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »

Jimmy,....

Is there a way we can slow motion your gif videos?

Just asking,.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »

So it is currently 11F outside. I am going for a short ride in one hour just to the office and back. (Less that one hour round trip). I know I will be perfectly warm in my heated gear, only part that will suck is when I stop for gas. (Have to take the gloves off).

I run the HD branded Gerbing stuff. Gloves, jacket liner, and pant liner. This goes under my Aerostich suit and I wear a Schubert C3 Pro. I don't wear the liner direct on my body, always have something in between like long underwear. I think a silk material is recommended but since I am not Hugh Heffner I don't own and silk stuff.

I did install an out let in the left heat shield to plug the gear into and I run the wireless thermostat. I tried many other wiring and control options but this is the one that worked best for me.

Best accessory I ever spent money on.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »

We got our heated gear years before most and have stayed with Gerbing. The jacket liner and gloves have been all we have needed down to temps into the low teens as once your core is warm, the rest follows. Although having their heated over gear would be nice at times, having a removable heated liner is much more versitle as one isn't stuck with the bulky jacket all day. We've also found that for us, just having good protective boots and pants or over pants in combination with the heated liner is sufficient.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »

Hey FLHTCUSE7 for a silk base layer check out Terramar. They make one for about 30 dollars apiece for the shirt and pants. I dont own any yet but they have great reviews and I will probably get some after Christmas shopping is over and paid for.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »

The Gerbing pants liners didn't work for us.....there's just not enough room under our levis and coveralls or overalls weren't a consideration.

We ended up at the Gerbing booth at the International Motorcycle Show with the Nor Cal group from this forum and a number of us went with the Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) jacket and pants, boot insoles and gloves.  Best move we ever made. 

They don't have the weight or bulk of leathers (and we all know both are critical on long distance touring) and they also work as rain suits so one less thing we had to pack on our long distance rides.  We rode at 16F temps ( http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72870.msg1004232#msg1004232 )   and were very comfortable.  You've saw our ride reports of us riding in the snow....temp wise, we were fine and that wasn't an issue for us.    Being lighter weight, you can wear them further into the mid day in comfort....just unzip the pants legs and the jacket and keep moving.

Here's my review... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68677.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

Under Armor makes good snug fitting thermal clothing.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »

Forgot to mention....with the eXtreme Element gear, I often just wore a pair of boxers and t-shirt.  No thermals, liners or anything else....they're just that comfortable from really cold to mid 70s (unzipped).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

Thanks for all the replys. I'm lucky in that I live bout 70mi from Gerbing Headquarters. Talked to them on the ph and the lady said they usually have the next year stuff out by early Mar if not before. Hope for a 50+ day around then and a ride over (ya hear me Chip?). She said they keep marking last yrs stuff down til its all gone. At least, for sure, I can try on their diff styles.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

I bought the HD heated jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and sole inserts about a year ago.  They work great and I wear the pants liner over my jeans and under my chaps, which probably doesn't look the greatest, but it does work.  If I were to do it again, I would buy the extreme pants and not the pants liner.  It would be easier to put on and take off.

There is a point to make that the extreme element stuff is 100% waterproof, so if you went that route, it would eliminate the need to also pack a rain suit.  I don't know if your bags are as full as mine just carrying "be prepared" chit.  In fact the more I think about it, I think that I'll sell my jacket and pants liner's and order the new extreme element jacket and pants that are coming out in January.  If anyone is interested in them, send me a pm.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

I sold my XE jacket about 2 years ago and stuck with a jacket liner.  While the XE jacket is very nice, it's black, and it doesn't vent.  For commuting, I wanted something more visible than black, and I also wanted something that would adapt to differing weather conditions.  Lugging the XE around when it goes from 30 up to 90 in a few hours is no fun.
The best you've had is the best you know.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

Hope for a 50+ day around then and a ride over (ya hear me Chip?).

We just got back from Maggie Valley.
They had the snow making machines running wide open.
My phone is waiting for your call.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

I just bought the new CoreHeat 12 stuff (jacket liner and T5 gloves) from the BMW dealer a few days ago. I had some issues with the 12v power source (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=90366.0) but just went with using their battery harness and then their adaptor for my battery tender. Tried it out yesterday and it worked great. Obviously it doesn't get as cold out here as what most of you deal with but was in the upper 40's in the mountains yesterday and I had the "stuff" set at about 20% power with my FXRG pants and was completely comfortable. I had been using the 7V battery gloves so the only thing I have to get used to is hooking on and off as I get on and off the bike. I guess its a trade off because with the battery gloves even with the 2nd set of batteries I was always running out of juice. I am only able to get on my bike once a week so when I go, I usually will go all day and when the "juice" would run out was usually when the sun was going down.
I am looking forward to getting used to 'plugging in' and never having to worry about it any more.
Alan

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »

My Gerbings is the best money I've ever spent on this hobby.  I have the extreme element pants and jacket liner and gloves, worth every single penny. :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »

21 degrees this AM when we got up at the Firehouse.
Last night sitting in the bunk room reading the paper I can hear -feel the wind howling through our leaky building.
Thinking I should go pull the cover off the bike so it doesn't beat up the paint.

One look out the window and it is a WTF, blowing snow so hard we can't see down the end of the driveway.

Called my wife to say good night and let her know she may be coming to pick me up.

By this morning is is 21, still blowing and all the snow has evaporated.

Gloves, jacket liner, boot insoles, grips and seat all turned on - going to meet the guys for a Polar Bear Ride.

Took a few tries to get the bike started, almost didn't make it because of the cold.

Was toasty warm all day for the 200 miles. The boot insoles get too hot under the arch and heel and not warm enough under the tows.

We had a high of 28.

Go for it Jimmy - you won't regret.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »

So it is currently 11F outside. I am going for a short ride in one hour just to the office and back. (Less that one hour round trip). I know I will be perfectly warm in my heated gear, only part that will suck is when I stop for gas. (Have to take the gloves off).

I run the HD branded Gerbing stuff. Gloves, jacket liner, and pant liner. This goes under my Aerostich suit and I wear a Schubert C3 Pro. I don't wear the liner direct on my body, always have something in between like long underwear. I think a silk material is recommended but since I am not Hugh Heffner I don't own and silk stuff.

I did install an out let in the left heat shield to plug the gear into and I run the wireless thermostat. I tried many other wiring and control options but this is the one that worked best for me.

Best accessory I ever spent money on.

What did you do to install the outlet on the heat shield?  I thought that I saw something somewhere to do this, but I can't remember where.  I wanted to do this with my TourMaster plug.  Is there any reason whatever you did won't work with my plug too.  The cable coming from the battery looks just like the one that Gerbing uses.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »

I just drilled a hole in the left heat shield and installed the female plug. Then hard wired to the battery with a 15amp fuse.

I can take a picture if you like.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 11:44:23 PM »

I just drilled a hole in the left heat shield and installed the female plug. Then hard wired to the battery with a 15amp fuse.

I can take a picture if you like.

I just found a piece from Gerbing to do this, but it sounds like you did it without using anything extra.  I can't figure out how you got it to stay in the heat shield. So yes, if you could post a picture, that could be very helpful.  Thanks.

By the way, what I found is this:  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-panel-mounted-port

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

That is the same unit that I used. Just drill a hole, secure the female connector using locktite and hardwire to the battery.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

Kinda dark pictures, sorry.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

That is the same unit that I used. Just drill a hole, secure the female connector using locktite and hardwire to the battery.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I have been wanting to do.  I wasn't sure whether to put the connector on the side of the heat shield like you did, or put in on the top section of the heat shield.  I guess either will work fine.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »

I installed both the plugs and controls on the heat shield. works great but I will have to relocate the controls as they are to close to the  plugs with glove on very easy fix since heat shields are cheap compared to painted side covers    Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »

I went with the wireless controller and really like it, its waterproof as well

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

I went with the wireless controller and really like it, its waterproof as well

After reading thru the heated gear posts, I just ordered the wireless FirstGear controller.  It was cheaper today from Revzilla than the Powerlet one and I think they are the same. 
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 02:13:26 PM »

I must tell you guys that I have made the trip to Stoneville twice and its a total waste of time. They never have much of a selection of anything but gloves!

BigLew

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »

My Gerbring vest that I got several yrs ago is best money I ever spent on motorcycle gear! I am actually thinking about trading up to their newer microwire stuff. Can't lose with this purchase...
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Go for it....best money you will ever spend. I started wearing Gerbing 3 years ago. It extended my riding season and made it more enjoyable. The lined jacket is what I have. The extra heat around my neck is great. I have the Hybrid gloves. I use the batteries here and there when not wearing the jacket but the battery's do not last as long as they claim. I have the heated socks. They work great but a hassle putting them on and running the wires up legs but once in place it's ok. Never needed the lined pants as my legs are warm enough with long johns. In November I got the heated insoles and lined pants on sale but did not have a chance to use them yet. Got a new pair of boots too for the heated insoles so I can just put them on but wont comment on the insoles as I have not tried them yet. My buddy has them and loves them. I have ridden in temperatures below freezing. I feel bullet proof from the cold. Once you get used to the wires and thermostat the heated gear is awesome. In fall and spring its kept in my bag at all times just in case the temperature changes.

Just make sure you try on what you are buying as the sizes are a bit confusing and don't fit like regular clothes.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »

Anybody tried the new EX pants yet?  How waterproof are they?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »

with controls on the heat shield are they in the way of your leg

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »

NO I just reach down and adjust them So far they are perfect I bought the 4 foot coiled Gerbing cable to plug in as they have a 90 degree plug which helps with the leg clearance.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:04 AM »

when I stop my legs touch the heat shield now I would be worried about breaking them off any other ideas

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »

YOU could go with the remote control instead I am going to hook it up on my wife's road king this week       Billy

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »

Anybody tried the new EX pants yet?  How waterproof are they?

A group of us Nor Cal memebers have rode through rain and snow in the Extreme Element (XE jacket & pants) in complete comfort.  There are many photos posted elsewhere on this forum.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68677.msg954192#msg954192

West Coast GTG   

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »

Gerbings heated vest is best $175 I ever spent on motorcycling. And durable...mine i s about 8 yrs old.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

queenie

• NY

• CVO1: His: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: Hers: 2014 FLSTNSE
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »

HD heated gloves and jacket liner.  Hubby and I use the liner under our FXRG Jackets and just some nice merino wool thermals and socks under the FXRG overpants.  Works like a charm  even in 15-20 degree weather. 
Life is just a blurrrrrrrrrr......

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

I have the Harley version liner and gloves, and love the liner. I actually use it for snowblowing on the tractor during the winter too. However, imho, the gloves are just too darned thick and you loose alot of feel on a bike. I find that if I use my thinner leather gloves and the grip heaters, that's good enough. I will however say the gloves do work well, and on the tractor they are much better suited, fwiw.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 24 queries.