Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil temp guage?  (Read 1816 times)

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
oil temp guage?
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »

Well, I finally got around to pulling the outer fairing and removing the useless ambient air temperature guage and installing the new oil temp. guage.  For the pos. and neg. leads for the new guage I used the original wiring off the stock guage( the orange and black wires).  To mount the sending unit I removed the pipe plug from the oil pan, installed a 3/8 street 90 and then used a 3/8 to 1/8 bushing so the sending unit would fit.  All went well, hid the wiring, no leaks at the pan, all's well.  Then came the ride last night and either my bike runs extremely cold or something is amuck.  The oil temp guage in the fairing never went over 135 degrees while my dipstick guage would read over 200 degrees.  What would be the first thing to check?  Maybe a bad sending unit, I would think if I had something wrong with the wiring it wouldn't register at all.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
Re: oil temp guage?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »

Run the bike a bit longer on a cool morning. It should warm up to 180-200 and hold. That's where the thermostat in the oil cooler is set to open. I'm not sure I would put much faith in the dip stick one. JMO.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »

if you added a 90 fittin then the probe is not going to be in the oil flow. just thred in the reducer and the probe
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »

Did you follow 2ln's description in the original post and find the dead cat?

I had mine installed as per the factory instruction which do not call for the probe being placed into the oil pan, but rather into the oil line. My reading typically never read above 160 because the oil at this point has already passed through the oil cooler. Not the best setup IMHO.

AJ

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

Naitram, I was thinking that the 90 might keep it from the oil in the actual pan like you said.  I guess I'll try removing the 90.
2006 UltraClassic Screaming Eagle, SERT, Rineharts, Coastal Moto wheels, raked and stretched, chrome and more chrome

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anny #1258/1800
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

Put the bushing and the sender directly into the pan w/o the elbow. That should do it.

Ride Safe....

Kickstand

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »

I have the same problem, installed the gauge last fall. The guage lights up but the needle hardly moves at all, and the sender is installed in the oil cooler line. The dealer service dept can't tell me what ohm reading I should get across the sending unit leads, and the installation manual doesn't help either.

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

My fairing mounted temp gauge and my dipstick gauge are pretty close to the same temp once the bike warms up.

You can check the gauge by grounding out the sending unit wire, the gauge should go all the way up to hot when you do that.

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

Kickstand

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

OK, to check the gauge itself, ground the sending unit wire and it should go full hot on the gauge? How do I check the sending unit itself so I know it's not the wiring or ground? It's never worked since I installed it, the lights work on the gauge but no needle movement. I used power and ground from the cigarette lighter, sending unit is installed in the oil cooler line - wish I had read about it on here first and I would have mounted it in the pan.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »

OK, to check the gauge itself, ground the sending unit wire and it should go full hot on the gauge? How do I check the sending unit itself so I know it's not the wiring or ground? It's never worked since I installed it, the lights work on the gauge but no needle movement. I used power and ground from the cigarette lighter, sending unit is installed in the oil cooler line - wish I had read about it on here first and I would have mounted it in the pan.

Are you sure it's not working and it's just that the needle is not registering a hot enough temp. Be thankful that it's overheating. With mine installed in the cooler line as per the instruction manual, it rarely moves.
AJ

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »

OK, to check the gauge itself, ground the sending unit wire and it should go full hot on the gauge? How do I check the sending unit itself so I know it's not the wiring or ground?
If you take the wire off the sending unit and ground it and your gauge moves to full hot then you know it's not your wire or gauge wiring and it's probally the sending unit itself. But as others have said installing it in the cooler lines gives you a colder temp so maybe you just haven't gotten it hot enough yet.
It's never worked since I installed it, the lights work on the gauge but no needle movement. I used power and ground from the cigarette lighter, sending unit is installed in the oil cooler line - wish I had read about it on here first and I would have mounted it in the pan.

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

hacksaw

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

Finally remove the 90 and waallaa, the needle seems to be moving correctly now.  Anybody installing one of these guages in the future I would refrain from using the 90.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »

Finally remove the 90 and waallaa, the needle seems to be moving correctly now.  Anybody installing one of these guages in the future I would refrain from using the 90.

Yes, using a 90 degree fitting there is a sad refrain (apologies to country music fans everywhere).  This is the third such installation I can remember.  All have done the same thing.  Stick the sender straight through a reducer and into the pan.  No elbow.  Bring the two wires from the sender up, let the ground stop a the battery, take the signal wire on forward to the new gauge and use the power, ground and light feeds from the original gauge.  That process rather than the instructions supplied with the gauge will allow for the easiest install that works best.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.