Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hayden  (Read 5483 times)

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
Hayden
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:01:26 AM »

Anyone running the Hayden adjuster that beats on their bike regularly?  Thinking about adding one to my build.  Now, I don't beat on it a lot, but sometimes I like to get on it when no one is around.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Hayden
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »

I beat on my bike pretty hard. I have a 120r and ant get 5000 miles on a rear tire and have had a Hayden for about 5000 miles with zero issues. I had it checked out a couple of miles ago and they said it was wearing perfect. Hope this helps.
Alan

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

I installed the Hayden last year several thousand miles and still good and smoother shifting. :2vrolijk_21: I don't beat on it hard but it is a 131 motor

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

Rooster, does the "clunk" go away shifting between gears?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »

great way to go,, I have one on my ride,, :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »

Rooster, does the "clunk" go away shifting between gears?

If you have clunking when shifting gears, other than when shifting from neutral to first, then you have something else going on besides the primary chain adjuster.  Compensator might be one possibility, a clutch that isn't releasing completely might be another.  What model and year?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »

2013 cvo road glide, compensator ok, just plain noisey shifting between gears, hear the same from others bikes also.It is not a lubricant issue either, tried different lubes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »

2013 cvo road glide, compensator ok, just plain noisey shifting between gears, hear the same from others bikes also.It is not a lubricant issue either, tried different lubes.

OK, that helps.  The A&S (Assist and Slip) clutch was a new item for the 2013 CVO Touring models, and that may have something to do with the issue.  You might want to research that lovely component from the warped minds at H-D, since it has been blamed for other problems and may indeed be what's causing your issue as well.  Just a thought.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »

OK, that helps.  The A&S (Assist and Slip) clutch was a new item for the 2013 CVO Touring models, and that may have something to do with the issue.  You might want to research that lovely component from the warped minds at H-D, since it has been blamed for other problems and may indeed be what's causing your issue as well.  Just a thought.

Jerry

Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of "slip" clutch, I was watching a motocross they're calling endurocross now.  It's kind of like and endure with water, mud, rocks, logs etc but run in motocross fashion.

There were tons of spills and not one had to kick the bike to get it restarted.  I heard the announcer say they had slipper clutches the disengaged when on idle, or something like that.

Does anyone know what they have for a clutch and can explain how it works?

Again sorry to interject this, but I would like to know the answer.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »

Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of "slip" clutch, I was watching a motocross they're calling endurocross now.  It's kind of like and endure with water, mud, rocks, logs etc but run in motocross fashion.

There were tons of spills and not one had to kick the bike to get it restarted.  I heard the announcer say they had slipper clutches the disengaged when on idle, or something like that.

Does anyone know what they have for a clutch and can explain how it works?

Again sorry to interject this, but I would like to know the answer.

Thanks.

I assume what they really had was a centrifugal clutch, if indeed it disengaged completely when the rpm's dropped.  Similar to what you often find on things like golf carts, go carts, some minibikes, etc..

A slipper clutch has been used for a long time on sport bikes and racing bikes to prevent rear wheel hop and loss of traction on hard downshifts.  Basically the clutch "slips" momentarily when the rear wheel is trying to drive the engine, but just momentarily.  Then you have the other kind of slipper clutch that's found on Top Fuel cars and Funny cars, that have programmable rates of slippage under hard acceleration before they finally lock up.  Much more sophisticated item that's not directly related to the motorcycle clutch.

Jerry

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

A lot of them run a Rekluse. Made for Harley's also!

http://www.rekluse.com/exp_hd.shtml

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »

A lot of them run a Rekluse. Made for Harley's also!

http://www.rekluse.com/exp_hd.shtml

That's pretty slick, never knew anybody made a centrifugal clutch for these. At $800 they sure as hell ain't cheap. The only two bad things I can say about it is you're screwed if your starter ever takes a dump ... no catching it in gear. Say you have to park on a hill somewhere (pretty rare) ... parking in first will no longer hold it. Looks like slow maneuvers would be a little easier along with putting in traffic and it would be impossible to ever stall your bike with it ... although I think I only did that once in 3500 miles.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »

I haven't run a Hayden in the newer bikes.........yet. Both are still under factory warranty.
Prior to these I have run Hayden chain tensioners on 3 bikes, a 1992 FXR, 1993 bagger, and a 2004 Roadglide. All 3 had extensive performance upgrades and got rode quite aggressively. The 04' RG put out 126hp/130tq had 80,000 miles on the Hayden and worked flawlessly. The other 2 bikes had combined mileage of 150,000 and never need another shim fro initial installation, worked great. Shifting was noticeably quieter and smoother. Great product IME.   
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

I appreciate the inputs, but I ended up ordering a Baker adjuster.
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »

I took mine off.  ran smooth but eats up my promary chain pretty bad. I was doing chains every 10000 miles

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.