Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather  (Read 17852 times)

tattoo1964

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »

I am looking to add the Screaming Eagle heavy breather to my 2007 SERK. Anyone know if retuning is needed? I installed a K&N filter when I first bought the bike and I know it is "high flow "already.

Looking to do this for looks not expecting unrealistic HP gains.

Thanks

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
Re: Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »

Just put one on mine this past weekend looks great, sounds great. I asked both dealers where I live and a senior HD mechanic if re-mapping was necessary and they said no, I also have Bassani TDS. I asked a similar question on this board a while ago and everyone thinks re-mapping is a must. My bike runs great, no problems now have 600+Kms on it with pipes and breather.

T-Bird
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »

Just put one on mine this past weekend looks great, sounds great. I asked both dealers where I live and a senior HD mechanic if re-mapping was necessary and they said no, I also have Bassani TDS. I asked a similar question on this board a while ago and everyone thinks re-mapping is a must. My bike runs great, no problems now have 600+Kms on it with pipes and breather.

T-Bird

Yeah, it's all fun til ya put a hole in your piston. Let's see how they back ya then when your w.....ty's in the toilet and ya need a new motor! Yeah, there really is a tooth fairy and a Santa Clause! Really! Just ask snopes! ::) >:(

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TBird

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Riding to Myrtle Beach on Friday, on the way down I'll stop at a few dealers and see what they say, I can't get a dealer around here to agree that it is necessary.

tattoo1964

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »

TBird thank you for your input!
Hoist! Kinda confused with your comment... Are you saying someone installed without remap and had a failure?

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:34 PM »

I'm agree with Hoist -if you make an induction and/or exhaust change you need to remap. Especially if you do both! You can take a chance on it, and it may run great -but one day you may have a melt down. Or not. You really don't know what your A/F ratio is though without having it checked!   8)

By the way Hoist when you were listing all those important characters you forgot about the Great Pumpkin.  8) I'm surprised Dood or someone didn't point out your heinous error!!  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

Tattoo,
I'm running an '07 SERK with Rinehart TDs,  K&N filter, and a SERT. One of the sales guys at my local dealer is running the same setup on his '07 SERK but without the SERT. The other day we were out looking at his bike and I noticed a discolored area on the heat shield for the pipe from the front cylinder. His bike is running hot enough that it changed the color of the heat shield, and mine hasn't done that -probably because mine has been remapped. The discolored heat shield is a clue to me that his bike is running leaner than mine. Is it bad enough to hurt the motor? Only time will tell... The service manager told him that he didn't need to remap. But since the sales guy works there I'm thinking his warranty might be a little better than mine.  ???

It is possible that your (& Tbird's) bike may be OK running the way it is. But if you do melt a piston will the w.....ty fix it? You might want to check with the dealer(s) who told you that remapping wasn't necessary. If they say the warranty will hold up, then ride the heck out of it. If they waver any at all though, it's time for a download, or a SERT, or a PC, or whatever!!  8)
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

tattoo1964

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:42 PM »

bikerboy53,

My concern is if the bike will run too lean after adding the heavy breather... looks like you confirmed that may be the case. I appreciate your feedback and I will have it remapped.

Thanks again!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27:40 AM »

Take it get it re-mapped and dyno'd and take all the worries out of the equation.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

TBird

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »

Pardon my ignorance guys but if the dealer says there is no download available to re-map an 08 SERK how do we get the re-map info. Is there a download that works for an 08 SERK with these mods, if so where do we get this info? I have no problem spending the money on a SERT or PC or whatever to get this done however I don't know where to find the info to do the re-mapping, any help would be appreciated.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »

TBird,
I don't know about downloads for the SERK. At the time I added the pipes and air cleaner the 110 was still pretty new and there weren't any downloads available. Maybe that hasn't changed. That just means it will cost you a little more...  ??? Not a big surprise if you've had your bike for awhile.  :( That means you need to get something like a SERT, a Power Commander, Vance & Hines FuelPak, or something along those lines. Then like 07 CVO (Mark) says, take it someplace (reputable) and get it dyno'd.

If there aren't any good dyno shops around then you may be able to use a "canned" map from DynoJet (makers of the Power Commander) or sometimes other guys running the same or similar setups will share a map. (Maybe even on this site? Not sure about this.) While this isn't the optimum approach it can be a workable solution.

Another approach is to tune it yourself. I think Nightrider.com sells a wide band oxygen sensor and data logger that can be used to tune your own bike -if you have some reasonably good skills and can understand and follow the directions.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Biker Boy  8)
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »

Have them start with SERT map #84, if you have the same motor as mine, SE A/C T/D's and performance exhaust it should get you in the ballpark. From this starting point they should be able to fine-tune your bike.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

Yeah, it's all fun til ya put a hole in your piston. Let's see how they back ya then when your w.....ty's in the toilet and ya need a new motor! Yeah, there really is a tooth fairy and a Santa Clause! Really! Just ask snopes! ::) >:(

Hoist! 8)

Especially on the newer bikes that need a retune even without any upgrades, running lean to begin with!

TBird

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

Thanks for your input, I am going to look into it, I will keep you posted on the progress. Great to have the knowledge base of this board, I can't figure out why the dealer would not steer me in this direction, I have asked them more than once about this issue.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »

I am looking to add the Screaming Eagle heavy breather to my 2007 SERK. Anyone know if retuning is needed? I installed a K&N filter when I first bought the bike and I know it is "high flow "already.

Looking to do this for looks not expecting unrealistic HP gains.

Thanks

I am using the same on my 07' SERK and it was Dynojet tuned (I use a PC III as well) for optimum performance. I think you should notice a considerable difference after the tuning.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.