Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing & Sputtering  (Read 6993 times)

bladerunner

Missing & Sputtering
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 Road King Custom with 28,000 miles on it.  Well maintained and stored in a garage.  Recently it has started missing and sputtering - running rough.  I changed the plugs - no help.  The manual says to change the plug wires.  Any other thoughts?

Bladerunner

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Missing & Sputtering
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »

Injected or Carb?  Does it happen hot and cold? Is problem at idle?
Intake leaks are common.
Lots of other possible causes but go for the easy things first.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »

If fuel injected have you changed the fuel filter???

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 Road King Custom with 28,000 miles on it.  Well maintained and stored in a garage.  Recently it has started missing and sputtering - running rough.  I changed the plugs - no help.  The manual says to change the plug wires.  Any other thoughts?

Bladerunner

If there are no codes, I would check the intake seals and do a fuel pressure test.  On that bike it should hold pressure when you turn off the power.  If it drops to zero fast, you have a hole in an internal line.  Also, if it happens less with a full tank that's an indicator as well.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

bladerunner

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »

P0370 - CKP Sensor Intermittent
P1353 - front cylinder no combustion EFI
P1356 - rear cylinder no combustion EFI
and
suggested PN 32915-04.  Don't know what this part number is - will call Harley tomorrow.

CKP – Crank Position Sensor. The CKP generates an “AC signal” which is sent to the ECM where it is used to reference engine position (TDC) and speed.

It's fule injected and the plugs ceramic is clean & white - no caramel color - like it's running really lean.  The motor will idle for a couple mintues and then die.

Think this CKP sensor could be causing this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:26:56 PM »

P0370 - CKP Sensor Intermittent
P1353 - front cylinder no combustion EFI
P1356 - rear cylinder no combustion EFI
and
suggested PN 32915-04.  Don't know what this part number is - will call Harley tomorrow.

CKP – Crank Position Sensor. The CKP generates an “AC signal” which is sent to the ECM where it is used to reference engine position (TDC) and speed.

It's fule injected and the plugs ceramic is clean & white - no caramel color - like it's running really lean.  The motor will idle for a couple mintues and then die.

Think this CKP sensor could be causing this?

Absolutely.  Without a good signal from the crank position sensor, the ignition timing will be all over the place and you will be lucky to get the engine to run at all.  Check the wires leading from the crank position sensor for damage.  It isn't uncommon for the sensor or the wires to be damaged when changing oil filters if the wrong type of wrench is used.

Don't worry about the part number that shows up at the end of the DTC check, that's just the number of the module and doesn't have anything to do with your problem.  It's just for reference.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:30:37 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »

Absolutely.  Without a good signal from the crank position sensor, the ignition timing will be all over the place and you will be lucky to get the engine to run at all.  Check the wires leading from the crank position sensor for damage.  It isn't uncommon for the sensor or the wires to be damaged when changing oil filters if the wrong type of wrench is used.

Don't worry about the part number that shows up at the end of the DTC check, that's just the number of the module and doesn't have anything to do with your problem.  It's just for reference.

Jerry

Also if the sensor is like on most cars, it won't throw any codes, it just senses the crank revolution, so if it doesn't sense the crank coming around each time, it just doesn't allow spark/fuel. I have had to replace two on my truck, ran like chit!

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »

I have same problem and it was a broken inj. wire that depending motor movement miss would go away.To check just wiggle inj. wires.  Good luck  JDO

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 26 queries.