Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dissappointed in MOCO  (Read 5217 times)

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
Dissappointed in MOCO
« on: December 14, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »

I have got to say I am a bit disappointed in Harley. I got my bike in October and have found several issues that should have been caught at the Factory by Quality Control.
Bubbled Chrome on Derby Cover
A spring that punched a hole in the backrest
A rubber plug left in the Clutch master cylinder
and today I noticed a rubber grommet that holds the chrome waterpump cover missing.
Yeah I know compared to others woes these are minor but they do add up. especially for the price we pay for them.
My dealership Sweetwater Harley has been outstanding
DR

FLHTCUSE7

Re: Dissappointed in MOCO
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »

American made with Union labor. Steel workers Union on top of that. I am not surprised that we get crap - biggest surprise is that we keep paying for it.  Many other brands out there.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »

American made with Union labor. Steel workers Union on top of that. I am not surprised that we get crap - biggest surprise is that we keep paying for it.  Many other brands out there.
Not every employee on the line is Union nowadays. Some are actually temp to perm hires. Talk to some of the senior guys there. They're not happy about it but they had to keep the plant open somehow. Reading some of your post recently I'm starting to think you're related to GRC  :huepfenlol2:

I had a few stupid issues on mine also but nothing that couldn't be taken care of in my own garage (left grip not on the whole way and one of the power lock fobs not programmed). Is it annoying, yes. Should it have never happened, yes. It is what it is and while we shouldn't have to mess with it we have to remember these are mass produced bikes. They get the same 5 minute inspection as every other bike that rolls off the line. :-\
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love my HD, nothing wrong with it. It is the best HD I ever had and they make great progress. At the moment its not the most fun bike I have to ride but its the best looking!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »

The Boys at Sweetwater hooked me up when I was out there last October!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »

I have got to say I am a bit disappointed in Harley. I got my bike in October and have found several issues that should have been caught at the Factory by Quality Control.
Bubbled Chrome on Derby Cover
A spring that punched a hole in the backrest
A rubber plug left in the Clutch master cylinder
and today I noticed a rubber grommet that holds the chrome waterpump cover missing.
Yeah I know compared to others woes these are minor but they do add up. especially for the price we pay for them.
My dealership Sweetwater Harley has been outstanding

I know how you feel ... I had some/a lot of chickenchit issues with my '05 SEEG that drove me nuts and finally made me mad enough to trade it for a new Gold Wing in '07. I had chrome peeling from the grips and also both wheels, big, fat thumb prints UNDER the clearcoat on the back of each saddlebag, tourpak lid cracked, trans leaked, 103" engine still had detonation running high-test even after exhaust, hi-flow air filter and race tuner. It was a beautiful looking bike and I loved the light/dark candy cherry, but it was a real pos.

Really pisses you off when you shell out big money for something that is supposed to be the best of the best and it isn't. I've noticed the majority of issues are with the CVO line and it just shouldn't be that way. They are beautiful and I love the looks, but to me they are way over-priced for what you get. Since that bike I vowed to stay away from the CVOs ... and so far have stuck to my guns and couldn't be happier.

This is my second Ultra since then (1st was '11 Road Glide Ultra) and both have been fantastic bikes with no major issues. The only problem on the '11 were front rotors warped, but were replaced along with pads under warranty. This bike has been great too, clutch master recall was the only issue so far. I'm still just as proud to ride around on a HD without the CVO badge.   

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:12:37 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »

It is more of issue with management than labor.....if you take the tour at York PA...you will notice that this plant is really automated.  The labor employes are doing what they are told to do and I think that most do not have a clue about motorcycles.

When I was there I as watching them install the water cooling systems when a guy from the line told me "this cooling system, instead of the oil cooler, will reduce the oil temperature by 200 degrees"  I smiled and said that was amazing.

For sure they do have some manufacturing issues...but as for me...they seem to do their best to correct them.

Then there is engineering quality....and that is another whole discusseion :nervous:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

When I was there I as watching them install the water cooling systems when a guy from the line told me "this cooling system, instead of the oil cooler, will reduce the oil temperature by 200 degrees"  I smiled and said that was amazing.
[/quote]

He may have been working on the air-conditioning unit for the west coast models.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »

It is more of issue with management than labor.....if you take the tour at York PA...you will notice that this plant is really automated.  The labor employes are doing what they are told to do and I think that most do not have a clue about motorcycles.

For sure they do have some manufacturing issues...but as for me...they seem to do their best to correct them.

Then there is engineering quality....and that is another whole discusseion :nervous:

I politely disagree -it is both union labor and management -

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »

Damn, I read this post and realized I sound like a whiney Bitch. Minor issues fixed or replaced with no big drama. Sweetwater Harley has been great.
I need to get out and put some long road miles on it
DR

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

Well maybe my insight are a little deeper. I run a large part of a fortune 200 and have pretty deep knowledge of manufacturing. No reason to pick on details but HD have a long way to go to be "world class"

What do you mean with engineering quality? DFMEA? (That's the only thing that make sense talking about design engineering). If manufacturing engineering I assume you refer to PFMEA? 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:03:20 PM by Rotarywing »

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles and hopefully they all get corrected in short order.

Like most things in life "they don't make things like they use to".

And in Harley's CVO case, nothing could be more true!

I remember the good ol' days when CVO really meant something... Custom Vehicle Operations, was a separate product line with only the "best of the best" assembling our beautiful rides.

Even though since those days technology has moved us so far forward, the quality control has really dropped off now that the CVO's are built by whoever.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »

I know you may be disappointed in MOCO and rightfully so.  But some of these issues should have also been caught at the dealer when it was assembled there.  They are paid by MOCO to do PDI.  A pre delivery inspection and repair little odds and ends and little adjustments and install small parts and pieces, like mirrors and pedals.  And if there was issues with chrome the mechanic should have caught it when peeling some of the covering off or plastic tape that was not removed by the customer. 

So not all the blame can be put on them.  I understand that letting it go out of the factory like that is not right but in some cases it may have be covered with protective covering from their supplier which until there is a couple of warranty claims then it goes back to be corrected on the suppliers end.   

Also on the side of a mechanic at a dealer when you pick a bike apart on the little bitty things like I would.   The service manager would come out and say I was soliciting warranty. 

As a mechanic that's the kind of things I have and still ripen into.  I see some thing wrong with a vehicle and am not allowed to repair it because the customer has not complained about it.  Which is complete B.S.  But that's how it is. 

Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

….also dissappointed in Audi, Ford Honda, Chrysler, GMC, Lincoln, Cadillac, and Lexus. I do not think I have ever bought a mechanical device that did not have to have some minor correction. We can argue if HD is really any worse than any other mechanical object. I must have been lucky in that I have not really had a major issue with my bikes.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »

Well maybe my insight are a little deeper. I run a large part of a fortune 200 and have pretty deep knowledge of manufacturing. No reason to pick on details but HD have a long way to go to be "world class"

What do you mean with engineering quality? DFMEA? (That's the only thing that make sense talking about design engineering). If manufacturing engineering I assume you refer to PFMEA?

I think that PFMEA comes more into play with the CVOs....when the CVO were manufactured in there own building...the manufacturing processes were more controllable thus quality should be better.  Rather than the current situation of making them on the standard production line where a CVO comes through the line only a few times a day.  This makes it more difficult for the workers to determine, by not knowing, if something is not correct.

DFMEA with CVO is also a problem....the C in CVO being Custom, again being thrown into the HD manufacturing machine and given the short window of production makes it difficult to improve processes.

I wish they would go back to the off-site silo manufacturing like they once did.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.