Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: "HOW TO" supply the 6B connector on the SESG2 for XM and NIM and "probably" CB  (Read 16212 times)

philgrocks

So I tried to follow this procedure on my 2012 SESG3.  I checked my wiring over and over again and I realized the instructions here don't connect up the CAN +/- wires.

I tried following the instructions in this post and it does not get the CAN+/- connected.  The LED on the NIM did not light up.

So looking a the diagram in the instructions and the signals going to the 275B connector it needs
1 - Audio+
2 - Audio-
3 - Power
4 - Ground
5 - CAN+
6 - CAN-

So I connected those signals up to the back of the radio and now the LED flashes when I turn on the ignition the bike and then goes solid.  When I turn the ignition off the LED flashes for a bit and then turn off.

How is the NIM supposed to operate?

phil

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond

NIM is suppose to send voice prompts from your GPS to any source other then AUX.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

So I tried to follow this procedure on my 2012 SESG3.  I checked my wiring over and over again and I realized the instructions here don't connect up the CAN +/- wires.

I tried following the instructions in this post and it does not get the CAN+/- connected.  The LED on the NIM did not light up.

How is the NIM supposed to operate?

phil

Phil,

I'm not sure which of the several different "instructions" you tried to follow in this thread.  One "instruction" is to create a 6B connector to allow use of the non-Ultra Overlay harness (NUOH) which includes a 6A connector to the 6B connector created.  The 6A connector of the NUOH mated to the 6B connector makes-up the connector 6 referenced in the NIM and Ipod instructions that is "separated" and between which the Ipod and/or Nim harness are connected in series.  Since the NUOH 6A connector includes the CAN + and - wires from pinouts 13 and 14, the CAN wiring is supplied to the Ipod and NIM modules when their harness is connected in series.

A second "instruction" refers to the use of the 69200033 harness.  This harness was intended by HD to be used on a non-CVO NIM or Ipod installation because it supplies the 35 wire connector not otherwise used on non-CVO bikes (e.g. Street Glide, Road Glide, and EG Classic), and is a more economical way to make the necessary connections to the HK head unit w/o the many other connectors included with the NUOH (for CB, rider and passenger headsets, etc.).  For an SESG2/3 application, the harness would also require a 6B connector to be added to the bike and is used much like a NUOH but without all of the connectors (for CB, rider headset, etc.) found on the NUOH.  The instructions for the 69200033 harness refer to making the wiring connections from the 6B connector (chambers/slots 4 and 5 to pinouts 13 and 14 for the CAN + and - wiring--see steps 3 and 4 of the instructions.

The third "instruction" is the wiring diagram and parts list with explanation supplied by a tech at an HD dealership for adding XM.  Instead of supplying power and ground, and the CAN + and - wiring via an added 6B connector and NUOH or 60200033 harness to an XM module, that wiring is supplied by splicing the SESG2/3 Ipod harness wiring.  The third instruction is to create a harness:  one end connects to the XM module connector with two branches--one to the splices in the Ipod harness, and a second branch to the 35 wire connector already on the SESG2/3's head unit for connecting to the XM-specific pinouts; a NIM installation would be the same except for the NIM specific wires connecting to the 35 wire connector, and the connector to the NIM.

See replies 25, 27, and 28 in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.msg933533#msg933533

These replies explain how to adapt the "third instruction" in the thead for NIM installation. 

If you clarify what wiring you did, it's likely you can get the help here to make the NIM work on your SESG3. 

Carl

philgrocks

I first tried to create the 6B connector.  Later I realized that does not connect up the CAN+ and CAN- connections.

So looking at the connector right on the NIM.  It needs 6 signals.... CAN+, CAN-, Audio+, Audio-, Power, ground.  These are all available on the two connectors of the radio. 

I connected them all, but I am not getting audio from the Zumo 660 when it talks.

Ideas anyone?

Phil

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

The NIM only works with HD's Road Tech 660; the NIM won't work with a regular Zumo 660. 

If you have the RT Zumo 660 and the NIM isn't functioning correctly, I have no suggestions if the NIM is wired per one of the suggested methods or an equivalent one.

Carl

philgrocks

That could be my problem.  I have a Zumo 660, I had read elsewhere that it did not matter.  Perhaps it does.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

The NIM installation instructions are in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

Clearly says the RT Zumo 665 is required; and, the RT Zumo 660 can be adapted to work with the NIM.

Carl

philgrocks

I told the dealer I was hooking up my Zumo and I wrongly concluded as did others that not all Zumo's are equal.

A "Road Tech" Zumo is now on order.

Thanks

phil

philgrocks

The HD version of the Zumo 660 arrived and sure enough it works perfectly.

What I did was to cut off the connector that would plug into the NIM from the harness. Give this connector power, ground, CAN+, CAN-, and connect up the audio to the back of the radio and it works perfectly.

This weekend I will put the Road Tech Zumo and the Garmin Zumo on a scope to see why there is a difference.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Good for you; glad to read you have the RT 665 working properly with the NIM.

Carl

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl

The NIM installation instructions are in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05169.pdf

Clearly says the RT Zumo 665 is required; and, the RT Zumo 660 can be adapted to work with the NIM.

Carl

I'd like to install a Road Tech Zumo 665 on my 2011 Street Glide. Is the link provided here what I need to show the dealer for the install? There's a lot of info in this thread and I'm a little confused as to which directions would work best for this application.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Erich

philgrocks

So you have a 2011 Street Glide or a 2011 CVO Street Glide?  If not CVO then I believe the stock kit works as planned.  If you have a CVO, then you will need to use one of the methods in this thread to provide the connector.  I didn't need XM so I just provided the connector that the NIM (Navigation Interface Module) needed in my earlier post.  6 signals need to be connected and so I just cut off the connector (with as much wire as I could and now have the NIM connector in my 2012 CVO.  See my earlier post.  The other post that was helpful for me was the post with the color drawing showing all of the wire colors... Essentially I just matched up the colors :-) and plugged in a couple of the wires into the back of the radio connector. 

A good tech should be able to figure this out.

phil

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

I'd like to install a Road Tech Zumo 665 on my 2011 Street Glide. Is the link provided here what I need to show the dealer for the install? There's a lot of info in this thread and I'm a little confused as to which directions would work best for this application.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Erich

Erich....you need to make the 6B connector if you want to use the NUOH. When I added XM to my bike and just piggybacked the wiring from the IPOD module, but if you want the accessories then you need the NUOH which requires the 6B connector.

Mike

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl

Thanks guys for the reply. Yes, it's a CVO streetglide.

Mike,
The Zumo 665 provides XM radio reception, I dont want to install the XM module. Do I still need the NUOH with the 6B connector to make this work or just a 6B connector and NIM or all of the above... lol.

Thanks, Erich

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

Thanks guys for the reply. Yes, it's a CVO streetglide.

Mike,
The Zumo 665 provides XM radio reception, I dont want to install the XM module. Do I still need the NUOH with the 6B connector to make this work or just a 6B connector and NIM or all of the above... lol.

Thanks, Erich

Wasn't referring to the XM specifically (just as an accessory example)...just that as far as I know if you want the NUOH then you need the 6B connector. Not sure about the exact connections required for the 665, but I'm sure someone will chime in who has experience with that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.