Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things to watch out for  (Read 2877 times)

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Things to watch out for
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »

Hi all. Newbie question here. Jyst traded my 99 fxstc on a 2012 cvo street glide. Big jump for me from an evo to the 110.

What things should I be aware of. Qwirks, things that are known issues, things not do do, etc.

Been reading alot here. Lots of knowledge here. Plan on checking for any open recalls.
Thanks in advance.

Skin

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Things to watch out for
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:59:10 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  The 110s have a problem with lifters, inner cam bearings, and compensators.  The lifters and cam bearings will detonate and grenade your whole engine.  Some people replace the lifters every 20,000 miles to dodge the bullet.

You can search for engine failure, lifters, and cam bearings if you want to read some horror stories.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:01:17 AM »

Overall, my 2011 has been pretty good with a few exceptions.

1) I had to have my original compensator replaced to the newest version and then later updated with the new shim and oil deflector. Good so far.
2) I decided to add GMR 577 cams at about 20,000 miles to reduce some of the heat and a bit of power. When pulling the cams and lifters they were pretty scored and most likely would have failed soon. Fortunately I caught it in time.

32,000 now and no issues.

Those two items appear to be the only big issues I've heard of.

Quirks?
* The throttle by wire will feel a bit sticky when twisting the grip compared to a throttle cable.

* Hydraulic clutch has a late release and feels different than a normal cable clutch.

* With the lower fairings removed the wind coming off of the large brake petal will push your foot outwards on long highway runs.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »

Thanks. I noticed the clutch right away. Damn near stalled it a few times.
Ugh. I would have thought they would have this cam bearing thing figured out by now

Hoel Motors

• CVO1: flhxse3 citrus orange,fullsac x pipe with 2.25" baffles, TTS tuner
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »

I guess I got a good one, never been in the shop, it's got about 35,000 miles. A friend of mine had clutch problems and had it replaced at 5,000 miles. Enjoy!

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »

Bought mine used with 14 k.  It now has 27k on it. The comp is noisy and expect to change it out sometime in the next year.  Fullsac head pipe with reinharts, runs good. 

I'm happy for now.
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

Mr Fitzu

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »

Have they fixed the problems in the 110s for 2016?

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »

Just for a little bad humor, why would the Moco bean counters fix the 110's.  It might cost them a buck and for most riders the parts last till out of warranty. :)
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

Hi all,

Am a new `15 CVO Street Glide owner for 24 hours now. My S.G. is used with 4335 miles love the bike, but am experiencing clutch engagement issues. the bike does not begin to move until the clutch lever nearly fully released. Also there is a clunk noise that I hear and feel in the clutch lever when pulling it in to shift up and down noise is worse 2-4th gear up shifts.

Is there anything to the clutch master cylinder recall that  I read about on the internet? The dealer gave me a scripted like of crap, know this is a fluff statement that the "clutch is adjusted to manufactures specifications".
 I fear  the worst is yet to come with this incompetent dealers service department. Are there any updated parts for these issues?

Thanks,
Donnie F.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.