Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Carpet saddlebag liners 2016  (Read 6756 times)

TPD2129

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide- traded
    • CVO2: 2018 Road Glide Custom
Carpet saddlebag liners 2016
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »

I'm looking for a carpet type of saddlebag liner for the 2016 CVO SG, anyone had any luck finding any? An internet search has turned up some that are glue in , I kind of want to stay away from that. I haven't seen anything that says specifically for the 2016? Thanks!

SPIMike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Re: Carpet saddlebag liners 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

I used HD's Premium Fitted Saddlebag Lining Part Number 90200918. You loose the stretch area for storage, but it wasn't an issue for me. Trimmed to fit around the electrical plugs (both sides), removed the amp bracket and reinstalled it inside liner with industrial Velcro (hook side). Added 2 slots on bottom of liner to insert amp bracket thru (my choice) so it still sits on actual saddlebag. This kept height of bracket the same but increased distance between amp cover and rear of saddlebag by liner thickness. Also added screen to fill that space and improved the visual appeal to me as I didn't like how it looked from factory.
Added 2" Velcro (hook side) to secure wiring to liner since I hated the factory clips! Took about $30 in supplies and a few hour labor, but like it a whole lot better!

Magnut1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:37 AM »

I am going with the premium fitted ones and loose the extended space, well not really,  I will store some emergency things there, like tool pouch, booster, mini air pump, tire repair kit.  I bought the glue in type for CVO bags and trial fitted them (calibiker) type.  Decided it would be a PITA to install them and a mess with the glue.  They are for sale by the way!  Fits perfect and easy to install. LOL

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »

I used HD's Premium Fitted Saddlebag Lining Part Number 90200918. You loose the stretch area for storage, but it wasn't an issue for me. Trimmed to fit around the electrical plugs (both sides), removed the amp bracket and reinstalled it inside liner with industrial Velcro (hook side). Added 2 slots on bottom of liner to insert amp bracket thru (my choice) so it still sits on actual saddlebag. This kept height of bracket the same but increased distance between amp cover and rear of saddlebag by liner thickness. Also added screen to fill that space and improved the visual appeal to me as I didn't like how it looked from factory.
Added 2" Velcro (hook side) to secure wiring to liner since I hated the factory clips! Took about $30 in supplies and a few hour labor, but like it a whole lot better!

SPIMIKE, welcome to the forum. Looking at your photo I see you haven't replaced the two twist type fasteners that hold saddlebags on. Highly recommended. Even with the recall and so called improved twist type fasteners people have still reported saddlebags falling off and bouncing down the road. You can replace them with parts from the hardware store or buy a kit from www.brukus.com (forum discount). Other companies make similar kits. You can search this forum for more information. Personally I wouldn't drive another mile until I replaced factory fasteners.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:52:06 AM by bigchuck »
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »

SPIMIKE, welcome to the forum. Looking at your photo I see you haven't replaced the two twist type fasteners that hold saddlebags on. Highly recommended. Even with the recall and so called improved twist type fasteners people have still reported saddlebags falling off and bouncing down the road. You can replace them with parts from the hardware store or buy a kit from www.brukus.com (forum discount). Other companies make similar kits. You can search this forum for more information. Personally I wouldn't drive another mile until I replaced factory fasteners.

Disagree, Dzus fasteners when properly installed (not forced when twisting) keep saddlebags on fine. IMHO. I see no need for a bolt. They keep the hoods, scoops etc on alot of race cars. I have never had one fail. Been selling and using them for 40 years, no failures for me.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »

Disagree, Dzus fasteners when properly installed (not forced when twisting) keep saddlebags on fine. IMHO. I see no need for a bolt. They keep the hoods, scoops etc on alot of race cars. I have never had one fail. Been selling and using them for 40 years, no failures for me.

I agree that the Dzus fasteners work great, I had them on my Willys coupe holding down the full tile front end. 

But Dzus is a patented fastener (I'm sure patent has expired by now) and the actual rotation and pocket depth may vary from the original Dzus twist pins compared to the rotation and "over cam" of the HD twist pins.  I'm not even sure if the diameter on the HD twist pins are as large as the Dzus fasteners I have in my parts bins at home; think I'll look just out of curiosity.

I have an '09 SERG and do my part to keep it clean as often as possible.  I take the bags off when cleaning.  I'm very anal about the twist pins being "locked" into rotation before each ride.

I had ridden about 450 miles one day when I had to go from Truman Lake to Lake of the Ozarks.  Hwy 52 was under construction and at every little creek or major culvert, they had the new asphalt trimmed about a couple hundred feet in each direction.  This left a 1" to 2" bump going in and coming out.

I got a little town and someone at the light told me I lost a side tank.  I looked down and my left bag was gone.  I think my heart just fell out my ass.  So back I go to look for it.  They told me about where I might have lost it.  I looked for a hour or so and finally giving up I pulled a U turn on a gravel road and was about to head on to the Lake.  Just then a car pulled up and asked if I had lost something?  They had found the bag and was looking for me.  I had camera and lots of goodies in the bag, but the bag never opened up, just skidded down the road and off into the ditch.

I opened up the bag and the pins were both there.  But one pin was clearly bent at the end showing that it had been stripped so to speak off the locking wire.  The other pin looked good.

I had pliers with me and tried to straighten out the bent pin and got it better.  I put them both back in and the bag was back on.  I was pissed that it had happened and rode the remaining couple hundred miles with my left hand frequently feeling for the top of the left bag.  I also check the right bag often as well.

This was WAY before any recall on the later model bags.  I had four sheetmetal J nuts in 5/16" in my tool bins and used bolts with some blue Loctite.  Yes it's a pain in the butt to wrench them out now, but I'm not worried about losing them.  And they cannot be popped off with screwdrivers or pliers from behind.

When you have full bags and bouncing over many bumps, those twist pins need to be VERY strong...... And mine were not strong enough.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

TPD2129

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide- traded
    • CVO2: 2018 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I might wait it out a bit and see if anything new comes on the market. I am hoping that Harley will make something like the premium fitted inserts for the 16 SESG. In the mean time I might get a piece of indoor/ outdoor and cut it contour the bottom of the bags, and make attach it with some Velcro. Thanks again! :2vrolijk_21:

Mr Fitzu

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »

Hog liners.  Work good but must be glued in

Magnut1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »

I have a set of glue in type extended for CVO.  Paid $50 for them, would sell them for $35. new, black, never installed. 

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »

I have a set of glue in type extended for CVO.  Paid $50 for them, would sell them for $35. new, black, never installed.

I would consider this.  Will PM you also.  Any pics of them?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 04:41:19 PM »

Sent you my cell # to call if you want to send them to Long Island.
Thanks!
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

So I bought the glue in style liners from Magnut1 that he got on eBay.  Just finished the install. 
Simple design and very functional.  I was going to do it myself but decided if I make a mistake, I won't be happy. 
Since I only paid $35 for them, I decided to source a local auto upholstery shop on Long Island. 
Found a great guy 10 minutes from me.  Ron from http://www.rrseats.com/ was excellent and really cared for my bike while in his possession. 
I dropped it off at 8am and picked it up at 4pm.   Couldn't ask for more.   :orange:
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »

2nd pic...
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:52 PM »

3rd pic...
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

4th pic...
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.