Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight Issue: 2016 SGS CVO  (Read 1703 times)

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Headlight Issue: 2016 SGS CVO
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »

I took my bike to the dealer to have the 1k, and let them see if they could improve the FM/XM reception - thinking maybe the connector wasn't plugged in properly.  I got it back yesterday and just tonight realized the headlight doesn't work.  I know the dealer removed the fairing to check the XM, so maybe they didn't plug the headlamp back in?  My trade was a '12 FLTRX (which my hands performed all upgrades/service), so I haven't a clue how to take the fairing off on the new batwing and I haven't picked up the service manual yet.  Does anyone know of a DIY video or ???   I would take it back to the dealer, but if they miss something that basic.....

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Re: Headlight Issue: 2016 SGS CVO
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »

Never mind.  Found a video.  Easy peasy.  I'll take the fairing off tomorrow and see if it is simply an unplugged headlamp.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »

FM reception ain't getting any better....the antenna inside the fairing was put there for looks, not performance. As for the XM--if you relocate the antenna to the base of the windshield outside the fairing it works much better. Mine is hidden under the windshield bags and works fine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »

Unless people only ride in the big cities with a multitude of strong stations and where even an old bent coat hanger will work as an antenna, I recommend they forget that hidden FM antenna and get an external model.  Unfortunately with the bikes Harley installs those hidden things on from the factory, that would mean also having to run an antenna cable the length of the bike, but it wouldn't be that hard and it would give them an opportunity to get up close and personal with how all the wiring is routed on their bike.  Probably find a lot of opportunities to do a better job of locating and securing some of it. ;)

I know no one is going to actually do that, since as we've discussed before, they bought the bike for a reason.  Looks good, doesn't work that great, but man it sure looks good.  As long as people understand that quite often that fabulous looking supermodel is a brainless ditz when it comes to anything other than looking good, no skin off my nose if they opt for the glitz and glamour over actual function.

Jerry  ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SotoSG

• OH

• CVO1: 16 SG
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:13 AM »

So what was the verdict?
Stock for now

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

So what was the verdict?

The verdict is the HD tech forgot to plug the pigtail to the headlamp receptacle.  I pulled the fairing off and the pigtail was dangling there.  Plugged it in and then there was light.  And it was good.

Just reinforces my thinking that techs trying to beat flat rate have no business working on my motorcycle.  From this point forward, only my hands will do the work. 

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.